1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need help with the name and manufacturer of.....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Summer Song Giver, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Summer Song Giver

How's that for a cliffhanger?!?

Seriously though, driving home from work this evening I saw a car; a larger car with smooth lines. (almost reminded me of the old Impala) The only real clue I have were the words Rivierra and Supercharged written on trunk. I immediately fell in love with the look of this car and though it looked too nice **cough cough expensive** in a few years I should be able to pick one up used and reasonabely priced. It's not like I'm lazy... I've looked all over the web and have had little,okay, NO success. If anyone could help me with this it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Summer Song Giver (edited June 22, 2001).]

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I'm saving up for an Escalade with 17 inch rims. I wish [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited June 22, 2001).]

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm waiting for the new Maxima to debut. [​IMG]
    But then my current Max is running so well after nearly 100k, I don't know if I'll be buying a new car for a while... but that's a good thing right? [​IMG]

The new Z looks freaky, as does the new Altima. I wouldn't mind buying either.

... Nissan baby!

------------------
    "I had mine chewed off by a boss one time." -- Behad leaves us wondering if he gets hazard pay...

5. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I'm probably going to go with a Lexus IS300 when I replace my A4 sometime next year. I'd also like to have a Honda S2000 as a second car, but I'm too busy spending money on other things to make that happen.

------------------

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

As we continue to absolutely derail SSG's thread...

mrpaige,

I like the specs on the IS300, but it looks too much like a tricked out Honda Accord from about 2 generations ago in the model line. Although I love Lexus/Toyota reliability.

Have you looked at the BMW 330 ci?

I wouldn't mind getting a Honda S2000. The performance alone for that price ought to be enough to make anyone's mouth water.

The new Maxima is going to have about 260+ horsepower in it and a re-designed body for next year as I understand, so I'm eagerly awaiting to see what that will look like. I'm hoping to buy a new car within the next 3 years, but have to talk myself into buying a new one when I probably don't really need a new one. I'm failing miserably at it at the moment. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I had mine chewed off by a boss one time." -- Behad leaves us wondering if he gets hazard pay...

7. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

The Buick Riviera is the car. I loved those.

Very similiar to the Olds Tornado. One of the very first, if not the first, front wheel drive American made cars. Popular in the 1970s and 1980s. Typically, a long, two door hard top or rag top.

Look under Buick. I think they came out about 1968, originally. Very big by 1973.

------------------
    "We're having a pretty good time considering one day we're all going to die." Steve Martin, 1976

8. mrpaige

After spending nearly $12,000 in the last six months fixing my Audi (and countless weeks waiting for parts), I've been gunshy about another German automobile.

I'm not planning on purchasing a new car until next year anyway, so I haven't gone into any great detail looking at alternatives. The Lexus just caught my eye.

In one of the latest car magazines, they noted that Nissan is coming out with an IS300 fighter that they'll sell under the Infiniti nameplate. I'm sure I'll check that out, as well (among other things).

------------------

9. PinetreeFM60

PinetreeFM60 Member

I've owned just about every make of car over the past 35 years. When I was younger, I was much more enamored with the flash. Now, I just want a quality nondescipt car that is not likely to be jacked.

Best values for the money:

Honda, Nissan, and Toyota

Worst values for the money:

Porsche, Jaguar, Corvette, and Cadillac

Favorite for top end speed:

Jaguar XJS 12 cylinder

Favorite off the line:

1967 Corvette with 454, dual four barrels, and 411 gears

Thank God my sons never saw me drive them.

------------------
    "We're having a pretty good time considering one day we're all going to die." Steve Martin, 1976

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

drofdunk... my dad is about to get a new truck.. he loves nissan though... his nissan truck has 350,000+ miles.. with original motor etc in it.. your maxima might have a lot of miles left on it still

------------------
    Shane
    "Save Our Rockets"
    "Life without basketball in Houston........without an arena that is what it will be"

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

mrpaige,

I know what you mean about German cars and repairs. It's one of the few reasons I probably won't end up getting an Audi or BMW.

Have you checked out the new Z from Nissan? It has a pretty wild interior, 0-60 times less than 6 secs, and will be under $30k according to Nissan reps. In terms of handling, price, etc. it would easily keep up with the IS300, I would think. The only question is whether or not you'd like the styling :

http://www.nissandriven.com/vehicles/FutureVehicleDetails/1,9437,520,00.html

As for the IS300 figher. That's precisely what the Z is supposed to be. They will be releasing a model sometime in 2002 that will battle the Lexus GS400 and BMW 540i and will be rear wheel drive. It's supposed to come around the end of this year or next year. I think it's called the "QE", but I don't know if that's a codename or the actual designation.

------------------

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I know. I've driven this Max hard. I've put about 100k on it in 4 years and that's after slowing down. I had been averaging about 30-35k per year. The VQ engine in the Max is known to go well into the 200-300k range. That's impressive for a "car engine". It's one hell of an engine. I had my first major repair on the car about a month ago. The odometer/speedometer died on me, but it was covered by the extended warranty. Outside of that, no unscheduled repairs.

------------------

13. mrpaige

I was talking about the new Infiniti G35 that's supposed to go on sale in the Spring as a 2003 model (according to AutoWeek). It's a rear-wheel drive sports sedan based on the Nissan Skyline with a 3.5-liter V6 producing 260hp (compared to 215hp for the Lexus IS300).

The problem with the Z car for me, is that it's a coupe. I have kids and often need the four doors (it's hard to tell if I'd like that design based on just pictures, especially since the car in the pictures is that hideous color.) I wouldn't really even call the Z car an IS300 fighter since they are aimed at different people (the IS300 is a sports sedan. The Z car is a more traditional sports car. While they may inhabit the same price range, they aren't really the same class of vehicle).

------------------

[This message has been edited by mrpaige (edited June 23, 2001).]

14. mrpaige

I routinely put 100,000 miles on my cars within three years. As a matter of fact, if my Audi weren't in the repair shop so often and for so long, it would have 100,000 miles on it now, and I'm just a few weeks shy of the 3rd anniversary of purchasing the car (I got it right before 4th of July in 1998).

------------------

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ah, ok. The XVL concept/G35. I've seen pictures of the concept. I wish they'd bring the Skyline GT-R here, but it seems most Japanese manufacturers leave their sports cars overseas.

If you've never been to www.freshalloy.com, it's a Nissan enthusiast's site. They talk about the XVL/G35 in this thread with pics :

http://66.96.198.147/forum/Forum19/HTML/000087.html

------------------

16. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

While driving to a party in the Heights tonite, this obnoxious motorcycle guy passed me up haulin' ass! Moments later at the Allen Parkway Exit, the barriers were shredded, me and my buddy saw this guys motorcycle bashed up, there was someone stopped on the Allewn PArkway Exit, OFF of I-45.

Was there a deadly accident tonite off of I-45 involving a motorcycle? We couldn't turn around and see what the heck happened. Where is there an accident websight?

Just wondering, I hope everyone was allright, but motorcycles are suicide machines ya know.

They had Sierra Nevada at the party BTW...

------------------
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever."

17. mrpaige

Thanks for the link. I had never heard of that site before.

I don't know what I'll end up with. I really like the way my A4 drives, but ever since I passed 50,000 miles, it's been a P.O.S., and an expensive one at that. I guess that if I'm going to ever be driving German cars anymore, I'll know to get rid of them around the time their warranties expire.

------------------

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I'm sorry to hear that. I actually had the Audi TT on my list of "possibly-get" vehicles. You're the 3rd or 4th person that's told me Audi has given them problems. I want reliability first and foremost because if it isn't running, it's doing me no good looking pretty in a mechanic's bay. I also don't want to continue paying an arm and a leg for a car in repairs after I've already paid an arm and a leg buying the thing.

That would leave me with no arms or legs... [​IMG]

------------------

19. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

King Arthur: What are you gonna do, bleed on me?

Black Knight: Come back here! I'll chew your legs off!

------------------
    Beware the blank post!

Ain't Miss Be haven!

20. mrpaige

On the other hand, I've heard many people talk about how they never have any problems with their Audis. I spent a lot of time over at AudiWorld.com (it was still a4.org at the time) before and after buying my A4, and while there are some of us who have had problems, most people there have not. Consumer Reports even lists the A4 as a best buy. So maybe it's just me (every manufacturer builds a few lemons now and then).

The thing is, when you have problems, they are horrible problems. My oil pump went out on my car (my Dad, who collects cars, noted that he's never, ever seen an oil pump go out on a car, especially not at 65K miles), and even though I pulled over and stopped running the car ASAP after the warning light came on, it still ruined the engine and turbo. I had to replace both at a cost of $5,700 plus about $1,200 for a rental car while I wanted and waited and waited for parts.

Last summer, the timing belt broke, and by the time I could do anything about it (there was no warning light or anything to note this fact, but the car did sound mightily different), it had already bent the valves, etc. And while Audi ended up picking up 80% of the cost of repair (the repairs were around $6,000) after we argued with them considerably, it took ten weeks to get the car fixed (costing me over $2,000 in rental car fees).

Right now, the air conditioning is out. I'm still driving it while waiting on parts. I just need a couple of hoses (hoses that cost over $500), but it's still wait, wait, wait. It's been over a week since the parts were ordered, and they're still not in yet.

And I've taken the thing in four times to get the brakes fixed (the antilock brakes are acting up), despite being told four times that they're fixed, they aren't yet.

And there are all the little things I dislike about the car. Things like how the windows make this horrible screeching sound when you roll them down. Things like how the keyless entry only works from about three inches from the car door, etc.

Audi makes cars that are great to drive, but the service departments at the dealerships tend to be horrible and WAY understaffed for the number of cars they are selling. It should never take a month to get in to get minor service. It shouldn't take weeks and weeks to get parts. And many things that have gone wrong on my car shouldn't have gone wrong on a car that was so relatively young.

(I've had the car in the shop for one other time that took aobut six weeks, but that was when some guy in an F150 rear-ended me, so I don't think I can really blame Audi for that, though it did take longer to fix than it might have because the body shop had to wait longer for parts than normal, according to them).

If the service departments would catch up to the number of cars the dealerships are selling, I'd be more apt to buy another Audi. I'd just make sure to get an extended warranty (or bag the bugger before the 50,000 mile warranty expired). The sad thing is that there are just so few cars out there that drive as well as the A4 does.

Personally, though, I'm willing to give up some driving excitement for more quality and service at this point.

------------------