1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

The Jeff Van Gundy Legacy on the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by weslinder, May 18, 2007.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've made no bones about the fact that I have become a Van Gundy fan, and I really want to post why.

Jeff Van Gundy made Yao what he is today. Like many, when the Rockets drafted Yao, I didn't know what to expect, but I was excited. And then he got to town and I was pleased. He was big, he was more athletic than anyone else his size, and he was a good passing, good shooting center. It was fun to watch this 7'6" guy pull up and knock down the 15-footer. Rudy utilized the player he got in Yao perfectly.

But then JVG showed up. And he forced Yao to play down low. He took this sweet shooting big man that I was getting excited about, and forced him out of his element. It looked bad at first. Yao's low-post moves varied from bad to mediocre, and his strength wasn't enough. He was certainly uncomfortable, and it was ugly to watch. But JVG, in all of his stubbornness, stuck with it. (I should give Tom Thibodeau some credit here, he executed JVG's vision.)

But it worked. Since he's such a hard worker and had such a good teacher, Yao developed his low post game quickly. He learned how to position himself. He learned spin moves. He learned interior passing. He got stronger and was able to post deeper. He learned to reposition and repost. He has become the most effective offensive low-post threat in the game today.

Yao, the rookie looked promising. He was a sweet-shooting, sweet-passing pivotman who was fun to watch in the high post. But that Yao would have never been the best center in the league. The low-post force Yao has become the best center in the league. JVG deserves the credit for creating that Yao.

2. conquistador#11

Why couldn't jeff turn rafer into an all-star :confused:

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

because he's not Jesus.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Na NA NA NA,Na NA NA

5. OddsOn

OddsOn Contributing Member

He got a heck of a lot more out of him then any previous coach did, not every player is an all-star caliber player.

6. R=$

R=$ Member

Before JVG the team was labeled as not having basketball smarts. After smart but old and non athletic.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Well you are only partly correct!! One might also say that a very versatile basketplayer was turned into a stick near the paint with concrete legs, during the JVG era. Gone are all his moves and abilities to score from anywhere on the court . All this because JVG imposed his will on Yao Ming's Game. Now is a new era and poentially a different game plan and Yao will be able to become, once again the versatile player that he always was.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Yao deserves the credit for creating 'that' Yao.

9. weslinder

You're right. As does Tom Thibodeau. But it was still JVG's vision.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He got more out of less than any coach in team history, at least during the regular season.

11. McGradySNKT

McGradySNKT Contributing Member

I could've sworn Yao gave credit to Thibs for helping him become what he is.

Notice the improvement once Ewing was on his way out.

12. weslinder

The "stick near the paint with concrete legs" is a much better player than the one with "moves and abilities to score from anywhere on the court".

13. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

I don't hear Yao complaining about JVG at all. I hear a lot of people complaining on behalf of Yao.

I guess Yao should listen to his fans rather then his actually experience of working with JVG for the past 4 years. Fans know better than Yao.

14. tested911

tested911 Member

What a bone headed mistake the Rockets did. It wasn't the coach that was the problem it was the players on the staff!!!! :mad: :mad:

15. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Uh oh. Is someone pulling out the Ewing Theory on us?

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

You are exactly right, he also got TMac to buy in to a team concept, and he earned Tmac respect which few other coaches had. Now Tmac is no Jordan nor a even a Kobe but he is our scorer. Van Gundy also brought order to a house of chaos, he brought a championship focus to a team he inherited that was about Franchise and his buddy Mobes. oh yeah throw in Cato and Taylor and it was the weed brothers on ice.

We never had a good draft pick while Van Gundy was here except last season and Van Gundy wanted a veteran 2 guard badly enough to trade the pick, but Van Gundy didn't want Battier, that wasn't who he was after. We couldn't get the one he wanted but we could get Battier and I think Van Gundy signed off on the trade to try and win this season. Problem was Van Gundy really wanted a 2 guard and a big athletic power forward. So he had to settle with a small forward and leave Tracy at the 2 guard, which he didn't want to do.

They also had high hopes for VSpan to be the back up point. But that turned into a soap...

17. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

Yep, remember, even in the Championship days the Rockets would lose to those teams that they had no business losing to in the regular season. This year was the first year I can remember where the team actually didnt have alot of let down games against lesser opponents. They had one stretch of 3 games against lesser opponents, but other than that did very well against the "have nots"......

18. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

JVG deserves a heck of a lot more credit than he's getting from the majority of the fans. I'll missing being the best defensive team in the league. We lost to Utah because our defense was MIA. What's going to happen next year when there is none at all? I shudder at the thought.

19. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

van gundy is a terrific coach and the organization should have had the balls to stick with him. i think when yao gets fullly healthy we can win with adelman but i think there's going to be a lot of things we sorely miss that van gundy brought to this team. we'll see.

i honestly hope adelman is the answer and this team does things van gundy couldn't get from them. i'm just not betting on it.

20. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

I give no credit to JVG for developing Yao and all the credit to Yao for dedicating himself so much into making himself a better player. Yao was going to do that regardless of who his coach was.