1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"The Comeback" on ESPN Classic

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by VesceySux, Dec 23, 2002.

1. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

(Yes, this is regarding an OLD football team, but I still think it's valid in this forum...)

For those of you who are masochists, ESPN Classic will be airing the ill-fated 1992 Wild Card game between the Oilers and Bills tomorrow night at 9:30 PM ET.

Here are the encore performances of that crappy-ass game, just in case you need an excuse to drink heavily:

Wednesday, Dec. 25 at 9:30 a.m. (ET) on ESPN Classic
    Thursday, Jan. 2 at 12:00 a.m. (ET) on ESPN Classic
    Thursday, Jan. 2 at 3:00 a.m. (ET) on ESPN Classic
    Friday, Jan. 3 at 9:00 p.m. (ET) on ESPN Classic
    Saturday, Jan. 4 at 12:00 a.m. (ET) on ESPN Classic
    Saturday, Jan. 4 at 3:00 a.m. (ET) on ESPN Classic
    Sunday, Jan. 19 at 6:00 p.m. (ET) on ESPN Classic
    Wednesday, Jan. 22 at 3:30 p.m. (ET) on ESPN2

Honestly, I'm not sure if I can bring myself to watch. Once was enough for me. :(

DIE, FRANK REICH, DIE! YOU GO TO HELL!! YOU GO TO HELL AND DIE!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Any mention of that game always brings a deep sinking feeling to my chest...

*sigh*

Who in their right mind would ruin a Christmas eve by watching it again?

3. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Thanks for ruining my night by the mere mention of that game...easily one of the worst days of my youth.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What an awful, awful day....yet i feel compelled to watch. i haven't seen this game since the very day it was played...i feel like i have to watch..sorta like witnessing a train wreck. i'm certain i'll catch it..thanks for posting the schedule..i think.

and once again, i must say...

GO TEXANS!!!

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

hows 'bout reliving some fond memories? with the "oilers" in town this week, we're reminding all of our readers that we've actually compiled one of the largest, and most unique oiler archives anywhere, and since a lot of you guys are, of course, old oiler fans... thought i'd share the links with you. hope that's OK:

<a href="http://www.houstonprofootball.com/dream/" target="_blank"><b>The Dream Season</b></a> A historical recap like no other, HoustonProFootball.com presents the greatest Oiler season of all-time.<br />
    <a href="http://www.houstonprofootball.com/team/" target="_blank"><b>Houston's All-Time Team</b></a> Recount the men you picked to wage eternal battle on our behalf -- the pride and joy of Houston Pro Football.<br />
    <a href="http://www.houstonprofootball.com/log/" target="_blank"><b>Pro Log: From George to George</b></a> Bob Hulsey looks back at Houston pro football's many ups and far too many downs.

enjoy!

6. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Since the Oilers left town I can watch "THE COMEBACK" with a huge smile on my face. It hurted alot in 93 but now it does not hurt at all.

7. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hey, it's just payback for beating me in the Best Poster Tournament... :D

Besides, those who don't learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.

8. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Oh goody! Now I can relive the day I lost all faith in the Oilers. On that day I realized that the Oilers will never EVER reach the Super Bowl. And indeed they didn't, as they required a new city, stadium, and name before they could actually win the big one. Thanks Bud *sigh*.

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The best shot the Oilers had at a Super Bowl was when they had home field advantage and choked to the Chiefs in the fourth quarter. They should put that on ESPN Classic also.

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

:( :( :(

That day was one of the happiest days of my life. I was an Oilers fan second, but a Bills fan first. I grew up with Jim Kelly as my favorite player, and that offense as my favorite offense. I still remember where I was that day, and how my emotions (and my family that cheered for the Oilers) changed in minutes.

Now, watching it a decade later, I feel like I want to cry. I'm not a Bills fan at all now, and while it was nice seeing some of the players I grew up idolizing, it sucks seeing that happen to a Houston team.

Now let's go get 'em on Sunday. :mad:

11. drapg

drapg Member

easily the saddest and most depressing day of my life.

**** that. now i'm all depressed, frustrated, and pissed again.

I will never watch that game again. I taped it and ceremoniously burned the tape the night the alleged game took place.

**** the bills. **** frank reich.

ok drapg, calm down. think "Music City Miracle..."

12. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

I watched the first half of that game -- missing my usual Sunday afternoon basketball game. At halftime, I ran off to the neighborhood court and boasted a little about the Oilers kicking Bill tail.

Went back home in the middle of the 3rd quarter and began looking up recipes for Crow.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What Don BeBee running out of bounds and then catching an illegal Touchdown pass?

Or, how about Jerry Gray knocking the ball out of a Bills receivers hand as he lay on the ground untouched, and the refs blowing it dead.

Or what about in Overtime Ernest Givins being manhandled by Talley on Warren's interception.

Oh, that game, I hardly remember it at all.

;)

DaDakota

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

it's just amazing how everyone seems to have a story about what they were doing when that game was on...everyone remembers who they were with...where they were watching.

i was watching at home with a big group of friends home on christmas vacation from my freshman year of college...i remember telling a friend that not even the oilers could blow a lead like that at halftime. and i remember my dad very early in the 3rd quarter saying, "damn...the bills are gonna come back and win this game." i got so mad at him for losing faith so quickly..but he was sooooo right. and i remember sitting there staring at the screen in utter disbelief after it ended...it took me a while to actually digest that they lost. it was second in a string of extremely disappointing playoff losses (broncos-bills-chiefs).

and i really remember cris dishman's statements following the game: "this loss was from the whole organization. the whole organization sucks...from the very top down to the very bottom."

i'm so thankful for the texans!!! so glad to have a rooting interest again!!!

GO TEXANS!!!

15. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

I was having a great holiday until this...