1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A NY Imam tells it like it is

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 2, 2015.

Tags:
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9tse0PEAq_Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

N.Y. Imam on Paris Terror Attacks: We Muslims Must Admit That We Are Time Bombs, Hate Christians

1 person likes this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

And then you have other clerics who support the Paris murders and threaten "even harsher measures".

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/vUAv94opSIg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Thanks ATW, that first video is inspiring. Pretty sad that people are forbidden by their religious leaders from wishing people happy holidays :confused:

4. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I wish religious people were as passionate about things that would help people. Stupid little fake books. If every Christian and Muslim were instantly made Buddhist the world would automatically improve substantially.

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Much like how converting to Islam automatically makes a person want to become an a terrorist. :rolleyes:

Ironically enough, you are just as misinformed as the extremist you despise. If you bothered to take the time to read those "stupid little fake books", you would realize they teach peace, love, and forgiveness. And if you bothered to read further than your own slanted view, you would realize both religions reach out and help the less fortunate on a large scale. The hatred and anger is developed from the lifestyle and culture, not because of the religion. This hatred and anger often roots from misinformation, such as passive-aggressive remarks that Muslims and Christians are hate monglers and should be removed from this earth. This type of attitude is the exact opposite of Buddhism.

#5 Space Ghost, Feb 2, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

There are a lot of Christians who are also Buddhist

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The sarin gas attack in Japan that killed 13 people was executed by Buddhist extremists.

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

don't reproduce

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

:rolleyes: Yes, the most infallible beloved character in Islam, Muhammad executed Jewish poets for satire, raped a 9 year old and kept sex slaves yet Islam advocates peace. You are partially correct though. It advocates peace.... under certain conditions.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think that's not accurate. They were a nut group.... that, well read below.

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Unfortunately, the attack in Japan isn't the only example. Here's a random article about why there is Buddhist violence: http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22356306

You can say that violent Buddhists aren't 'real' Buddhists. But, you can (and many people do) say the same of violent Muslims and violent Christians. You devolve into a No True Scotsman logic that leaves you with an answer that is not helpful. Maybe violent Buddhists are doing it wrong, maybe violent Muslims won't get their 77 virgins after all, and maybe violent Christians won't find their eternal salvation. But, we still have lots of violent people calling themselves Buddhists and Muslims and Christians even if they do have nutball ideas. As a practical matter, we have to own it and say members of these religions are committing acts of violence in the name of that religion. On the flipside, we also should acknowledge that many do not commit violence, and even that they expressly avoid violence because of those same religions. Osama bin Laden would probably have been a violent Buddhist had he been born Buddhist, and Mother Teresa would likely still have been saintly had she been born a Muslim. Unfortunately, life isn't so simple that we can say people of Religion A behave one way and people of Religion B behave another way.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Your attempts at cultural relativism are disturbing.

Not all religions are the same. Buddhism does not teach to kill people of other beliefs. Islam does. Buddha didn't order his followers to behead Jews. Mohammed did.

Yes, there are nutcases in every religion (or without a religion). But your argument is silly. To say Osama Bin Laden would probably have been a violent Buddhist? No, no. Osama Bin Laden was specifically motivated by Islam. What you are saying is like saying Hitler would have been a violent Buddhist. But Hitler was specifically motivated by his own, violent, supremacist, fascist ideology, just like Islamists like Bin Laden. Buddhism does not teach those things.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yea, I'm not going to assume that any religion is pure. Nor will I assume that any religion is completely fk up (very hard to do at time!).

Of course there are violent Buddhist (just look at Thailand).

My comment was a direct response to the sarin gas attack in Japan as executed by Buddhist extremists. Those folks were a mix of weird stuff. It definitely isn't based on any one religion, not even close. I mean, the leader of the guy think he's Christ so if anything, he's taken most of his believe from his twisted view of Christianity.

But I have to said, I'm not aware of any hatred in the original Buddhist texts (i'm no expert though). I can't said the same for the major Abrahamic religions.

14. downbytheriver

Pretty sadistic to group islam with christianity. Considering the charitable efforts of Christians all over the world with non profits and ngo's, and the complete lack of interest in the world outside their mosque from muslims, this is as hateful a statement as it gets.

15. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If only peoples of all religions would adopt this Imam's basic message, we would live in a better world.

16. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think Buddhism historically and consistent internally in its teachings is peaceful and passive. It's more of a meditation and abstaining from self gratification and not harming others type thing. Not going to see many monks yelling or doing a fire and brimstone speech (other than self immolation). Not going to have a Buddhist military taking up arms. Maybe I'm wrong and just haven't been exposed to those situations.

17. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Great video, if only more had a similar view to the world.

18. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Who founded Memri TV, just saying. Agree with the message though edited in a specific way for people like atw to use to spread their message of tolerance love and peace.

19. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

20. Nivos

Nivos Member

And I say to that Imam- AMEN!

Let's try and keep this thread the one thread without hate on this board.
    At least we can have a taste of a hope.

Muslims should be the first ones to stand against the Jihadistic extremist, as they are the one's that damage them the most.

I'm sure Islam can be a beautiful religion if taken to the right places, as all religions can.

The extremists from left and right are the real danger of this world, they preach for hate in the name of justice, kill in the name of honor and destruction in the name of their own personal utopia.