1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Video] Royce White's First NBA Basket (UPDATED: Full Royce Highlights)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think Royce looked that good tonight. He was 0-3 in the first half, though two of those shots were trying to beat the 24-second shot clock and weren't really his fault (one was an airball). I think what we saw confirmed a lot of what we know -- he's a guy that needs the ball in his hands to have an impact and needs to work on some things (defense, shooting, his role in the offense when not handling it).

Still, he had some moments... I liked the pass on the break that you can see below that Gary Forbes couldn't finish. It's not so much the "pass" (which is beautiful), but how a big man like that can dribble through and around traffic on the break. That's really unique. There's so much that needs work still so I admit I don't see how the Rockets are going to best utilize him this season. I think he's a strong candidate to go to the Rio Grande Valley Vipers for a stretch, though I'm not sure if the anxiety issues will impact that decision or not.

Still, it will be interesting to see if and how the Rockets can use him in a point forward role to maximize his strengths.

Royce White Highlights vs. Mavericks 10/15/2012

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/8SkfMsj3MGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Royce White's first NBA basket -- rebound, coast to coast bucket and foul vs. Mavericks 10/15/2012

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/A3aMdB_kKc8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

He needs to do this more and I think McHale will allow him to do so more throughout the season

3. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

Someone please upload that sweet pass to forbes! Even though he didnt convert on the layup, it should still be a highlight.

4. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I love White but his defense and rebounding was down right terrible.

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I understand his rebounding isnt good because of his size, but there is no excuse leaving Crowder 5-6 feet of space :mad:

6. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here's the problem with Youtube, and the armchair GM revolution. They see this highlight and maybe one other highlight and think that he had a great game, and is destined to be a star. Of course its also McHale's fault for holding back too.

Potential is the key word with White, and the other rookies. Its going to be a rough year indeed.

7. nbafever

nbafever Member

Looked lost most of the night ...

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Has talent. But McHale wasn't lying about Royce being behind due to missing camp-- though the rookies who didn't miss camp have also look pretty lost.

9. roxxy

roxxy Member

That pass by Royce>>> Anyway he looked lost but he has potential and we saw it today. All of the rookies have potential. People are acting like the Rockets were going to make the PO's. This year is re-building. Thus far we have seen flashes from all of the rookies. Consistency will be built over the season. This was a ugly game but it was fun to watch if you have absolutely no expectations like I do.

10. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

He has big hands.

I think he will eventually get it. Just needs time.

1 person likes this.
  11. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Yes, Bullard. Yes, we know he has huge hands. We heard you the first time.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I wasn't so disappointed in the fact that he looked lost, I was more disappointed in his effort. Considering this was his first NBA game, I was expecting a little more hustle.

13. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

You must have taken a jello shot every time the Rocket's made a turnover :p

...but yea, it's gonna be ugly until this team finds it's identity and builds some chemistry ..It's to be expected.

14. dobro1229

You thought that was seriously fun to watch???... Im all for re-tooling the roster, but those young guys have to play more disciplined, work harder, and get their heads out of their butts to stop the turnovers. Especially when they know they are outmanned, and outsized and probably will lose.

White was no different tonight that anyone else including the starters besides Martin. The thing I worry about is the Rookies not taking the time they get on the court seriously, and putting forth effort. A losing season like the Rockets are sure to have can be damaging not just on the court with bad habit forming attributes, but can also damage their value among the league.

Im really rooting for White, and I think he has star potential, but the highlight passes, and no-look passes create a false impression of where he is as a rookie. Same with D-Mo's 16 points last night in garbage time. Can't say Im not excited about the season and watching the young kids grow, but I think is time for everyone to realize how painful its going to be to watch White and the other kids struggle through the next 6 months.

15. roxxy

roxxy Member

Lol. No I do not drink. Seriously it was a fun game. Ugly loss obviously but that was totally to be expected. A lot of overreacting. Wait until we get destroyed by the Celtics lol. That will not be pretty.

16. marothisu

marothisu Member

Good analysis, but I think it's his first game. I think it's kind of premature to say he'll be blah blah blah and what not. If he plays like this all preseason, then I'd agree with your conclusion above, but after one game? Too early to say anything.

17. marothisu

marothisu Member

Watch the game again more closely. He hustled quite a bit, and then wore himself out near the end. The problem was he didn't have good position on the entire floor on a number of shots. When he DID have good position and boxed out, the ball went in. It was pretty much opposite day for him on the rebounding end.

18. roxxy

roxxy Member

These are young guys you are talking about. They come in thinking they are the man and they get humbled quick. I do not expect the Rockets to do well this season at all. The last thing I want is bad habits forming but we have guys on our team who we know have a proven strong work ethic in Lin Asik Parsons PPatt etc to lead the way. I am more than aware that it is going to be painful to watch the kids struggle. That is why I have zero expectations and can just enjoy basketball because I know that things will settle down as the actual season progresses. These guys are rookies so TO's, lack of discipline will happen.

19. dobro1229

I too have very few expectations. Especially with wins & losses.

However, I do expect them to play hard, and bust their tales on defense. Even some of the starters looked disjointed tonight so Im not exactly going to say that this is what I expect all season, but I do expect their are getting their butts chewed out pretty bad right now no necessarily for making mistakes, but the effort they gave tonight.

They will learn at some point this season, if not just to avoid McHale getting chippy with them after the games.

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

One thing I noticed while watching Clutch's highlights was that ... he has huge hands.