1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official: Rockets amnestying Luis Scola

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dockerland, Jul 12, 2012.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

Your reasoning sucks.

1 person likes this.
  2. eman

eman Contributing Member

I will root for Argentina next month, all the way.

3. Relentless

Relentless Member

Yes, fire the man for doing his job. Give me a break

1 person likes this.
  4. JuNx

JuNx Contributing Member

Unless the real is imminent this makes no sense. Scola is a very good player with a fair salary. Can't believe they can't trade him.

5. Rudy

Rudy Member

Thanks!

With that said, if we trade for Bynum instead we likely won't have to absorb all of Orlando's bad contracts.

By default, we would have more cap space... meaning we can sign 2 star players next year? :eek: :grin:

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I will always keep my Scola jersey. This seriously sucks balls. :(

1 person likes this.
  7. Relentless

Relentless Member

Have you given any thought to why no one wants him? 32 years old, doesn't play defense, and makes 10 million a year. Not that difficult to understand.

8. RocketFan

RocketFan Contributing Member

Well, according to this article that was posted earlier, it says we can only sign ONE star player next year...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--r...QDBHBzdGNhdANhdXRob3IEcHQDc2VjdGlvbnM-;_ylv=3

In one more significant step in the Houston Rockets’ relentless pursuit of Orlando Magic star Dwight Howard, the Rockets will use the amnesty provision on forward Luis Scola to clear further salary cap space, league sources told Yahoo! Sports.

Luis Scola's time in Houston is about to come to an end. (AP)

Houston and Orlando have been in consistent discussions over the past three days, and Houston has shown a desire to stop at nothing to make a deal for Howard and try to convince him to sign a contract extension, sources said. Nevertheless, there’s no trade imminent, nor a deal structure that is anywhere near in place between the teams. Orlando remains in talks with several teams, sources said.
    The Rockets can absorb Howard’s contract, along with Hedo Turkoglu and Jason Richardson. The Rockets are offering multiple first-round picks and a selection of its best, young player assets, sources said.

The Rockets will shed the final three years and $21 million of Scola’s contract, and will file the paperwork with the league office on Friday morning. Dumping Scola will push the Rockets far enough under the cap that they’ll be able to take on multiple contracts from the Magic in a trade for Howard, and still have the space to sign a maximum contract player next summer.

This moves gives the Rockets a chance to try and sell Howard and Los Angeles Clippers guard Chris Paul the chance to play together with the Rockets in the summer of 2013.

Howard has insisted that he would not re-sign with the Rockets, but owner Leslie Alexander and GM Daryl Morey have remained unmoved and unbowed in chasing Howard. Howard had wanted the Magic to trade him to the Brooklyn Nets, but no deal was consummated this week and Brooklyn effectively eliminated themselves from talks until January by re-signing center Brook Lopez to a max contract extension.

[Adrian Wojnarowski: Nets ink deal with Brook Lopez; Dwight Howard trade dies]

Houston still isn’t sure if the Chicago Bulls will match the offer sheet that Omer Asik signed with the Rockets for three years, $25.1 million. The Bulls have sent mixed messages to people about whether they plan to keep Asik, a 23 year old backup center. For the Bulls, there are concerns about how much it will cost to keep forward Taj Gibson next year when he’s a restricted free agent. Also, ownership will likely be resistant to becoming a luxury tax team, or using the amnesty clause on the remaining years of Carlos Boozer’s contract.
    The Knicks are assuredly planning to match Jeremy Lin’s $29 million offer sheet.

Scola, 32, will be in demand, and several teams are expected to bid in the amnesty waiver process. Teams under the salary cap can place a blind bid with the league, and the highest bidder under the salary cap can claim Scola and share in the cost of his remaining contract with Houston. Dallas has a strong interest in Scola, league sources said.

On a personal note: I could see us trading for Josh Smith at the trade deadline though involving Kevin Martin.

9. clubberclyde

clubberclyde Member

Sucks man but it had to be done.

10. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

ClutchFans: Where role players are king, and superstars are not worth it.

1 person likes this.
  11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

No defense. No rebounding.

We got him for great value and we'll always love his effort and heart like Landry. It was his time to go.

1 person likes this.
  12. rocketsqtc

rocketsqtc Member

Read the article peeps.

"This moves gives the Rockets a chance to try and sell Howard and Los Angeles Clippers guard Chris Paul the chance to play together with the Rockets in the summer of 2013."

13. jacoby

jacoby Member

And they complain during the regular season how mediocrity sucks.

We're acquiring Dwight freakin' Howard people. Dwight Howard. Let that sink in for a moment. I'm as sad as all of you are that Luis is gone, but I'll forget about it quickly when I see that baggy Rockets jersey wrapped firmly around Dwight's masculine body.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Scola is a good teammate with a moderately large contract, on the wrong side of 30, has tons of mileage, and is in clear decline. He's got yet another offseason of playing international ball. I respect his decision to always answer the call of his national team...but it's clearly affecting his play now.

He was a good Rocket and I'll always think of him as one. But this was the right move, period.

15. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

Sad, but true.

16. liujun0768

liujun0768 Member

I lost all my confidecne to this organization. They don't respect any player. FXXk.

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Apparently, he's been in great form in recent games for Argentina.

18. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Yes, he will fill it out quite nicely....;)

19. Treeza

Treeza Member

This probably means absolutely nothing at all, but the Houston Rockets followed dwight on Twitter.

:O

1 person likes this.
  20. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Wtf? Over Team USA? Gtfo.