1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejunas unsure he'll be ready

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ico4498, Sep 11, 2015.

1. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Dmo was hitting that 3 consistently before he went down. We would've gone to the finals if he were healthy. Only other dependable Rocket on the team to get you a bucket when you need it. Jones would be a very good player in the East just not in the West with all the monstas!

2. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Not gonna pretend I've looked up the numbers, but I feel like they've both started taking more 3s over the last couple of seasons -- easy to have a higher percentage when you aren't taking many.

3. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I hate DMo won't be fully healthy for training camp and the start of the season. I would love for both him and TJones to be 100% healthy the entire season and see which one truly is better than the other, minus anyone's biased opinions.

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

ROFL. "Alarming"? How about logical? Jones was told to stop shooting because he sucks at it. DMo still shoots quite a lot, but his total FGA increased, because of best post game in the game. Nothing alarming at all, unless you ever thought Jones can shoot 3s, then it's alarming just you, or the author of that article.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

If Dmo is so much better, why did it take an injury for Dmo to finally start?

Smh y'all DMO ONLY fans needs to cut the madness out.

If Jones doesn't get injured Dmo would have came off the bench and lol y'all know this.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Lost in all the injuries last year was that just before the end of DMo's season, he was becoming a good shooter.

For his career, Dmo has averaged 1.7 3pt attempts per game and has made 31% of them. In his last 15 games of the season, he was taking 2.9 per game and making 48%. I'm not saying that DMo will make 48% of his 3s, but there was an obvious uptick in his confidence as a shooter.

If he attempts 3 per game and can shoot the league average (36%), that would put him in the same company as Patrick Patterson, Serge Ibaka and Paul Millsap, who are considered to be among the best shooting bigs in the game today. The difference is that DMo has an elite post up game to go along with it.

7. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Last Season if you could only have one of Dmo or Jones in the post-season,. who would you choose?

Dmo. He can actually score when the team needs it.

8. OpenLayup-Why3?

You target your anger towards DMo fans, but actually you're just saying McHale is horrible and didn't see DMo's talent before he was forced to play him.
    I hated McHale with all my heart during 2013-14 playoffs (one sad round) because it was obvious that DMo was the logical guy to put in when Aldridge was killing Jones for 50 points 2 games in a row. Yet, McHale put in Asik. Didn't do much for the series. DMo got 0 seconds in those playoffs and smart fans were going bazoorkers.
    So, DMo didn't start last year, because he was in McHale's doghouse for no reason, not because he was bad. McHale simply drained all DMo's confidence in his first 2 seasons.

9. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Dude angry, Bwhahaha please, it's not that serious. But the fact is Dmo could not beat out Jones period. It had nothing to do with Mchale. And when a Superstar player gets hot, can't nobody stop him. You do remember when Dream got hot against David Robinson huh? Nobody on San Antonio's roster could stop him. Dmo with no NBA playoffs experience wasn't going to stop LMA on those nights.
    I like the fact that Dmo worked his butt off in the offseason. We most definitely needed him last year and he stepped up. We're going to need him again this season once he's fully healthy. But if Jones is balling out of control you can best believe DMO will be coming off the bench again.

10. basketballholic

Couple 3 points here:

1. Asik was effective against Portland alongside Dwight. We played them to a draw the final 4 games and lost the last game, not because of Asik but because of a bang-bang play with Terrence's head on a swivel wondering what to do.

2. We would have had our best chance at beating Portland if our big man rotation were Dwight/DMo/Asik in that series with Terrence getting zero to scrap minutes. DMo was obviously more effective than Terrence. Terrence has stunk in 2 playoff seasons now. And DMo has shown he has the size and skill set to be a difference maker for us.

3. You don't know the story behind why Terrence got the starting nod 2 years ago. I DO. And I'm not telling it here. But...it had nothing to do with which guy had played better or had more potential. It had a lot to do with who James and Dwight wanted to play with. That's all you get on that. But there's a story there. Believe me.

#250 basketballholic, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

We all know who has the better post game on this team. But we don't actually know what Dmo would have done in the playoffs either. Too many times I've witnessed several players fold in the NBA playoffs their first time around. But hey he also could have shined too. Hopefully we get to find out this season. Time will tell

12. OpenLayup-Why3?

You say you're not telling it, but you did tell it. Dwight and James didn't want DMo to play. That's what you said. What else is there you left out? Can't be more serious than two stars not wanting DMo to play.

13. basketballholic

There's more that's left out. And will continue to be left out.

Needless to say....Terrence was not made the starter because he had outperformed DMo and won the job.

14. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Lol I don't believe Harden and Howard told the coach and the Rockets organization that they didn't want DMO to start. If they did, why wouldn't they tell them to trade him.

That makes no sense and I highly doubt information like that will get leaked out.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

There is very little significant about Harden and Howard impacting the lineup decisions. This happens league wide. Thank god we finally have stars that deserve to give the input.

There was never a time where we should have been consulting Kevin Martin. The reasons that stars impose their will onto lineup and roster decisions are often good and often bad. Surely it can be based on non basketball reasons.

Not a stretch to reckon that DMO would jive less with H&H than Jones. That applies to on and off court. DMO takes their touches and shots while mostly creating more work for 12 defensively.

Jones is interesting to me. I don't understand why he can't just fix his shot? Do that and everything else is tolerable. There are definitely stretches where he looks damn good. I think this is an ideal player for the first 40 games or so. He can get some minutes and hopefully up his trade value. Even with his sketchy contract situation there is a lot of room for that value to climb in the next 4 months.

16. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

People seemed to forget that until last season when things finally begin to start clicking for D-Mo, that he was next to worthless prior to that. When he wasn't busy getting picking fouls super quick, he was constantly getting knocked down on his ass by other PF's because he was too skinny and weak.

17. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

T-Jones starting over D-Mo is not an indictment of who is better than the other. T-Jones is able to get buckets through garbage work, hustle, putbacks, bailing out broken plays. It's perfect for playing 3rd, 4th fiddle with the starters. D-Mo on the other hand is a great weapon for the bench. Run it up, get set, give D-MO some space and a few seconds and BAM! Money. Sweet, ambidextrous, elite post up money. But this wasn't revealed until D-Mo blossomed. And now that we know, D-Mo should even more so be with the bench. He can shoot 3s ok, a frog's hair better than TJ. But he excels near the paint, where Dwight needs to be for his offensive work and for boards. TJ can start his 1 on 1 work from behind the arc. He can face up, cut, drive, back down from way out. D-Mo is amazing but he needs to get fed in the paint. They're both great. And again, not an indictment on which is better than the other, but it's no fluke that TJ starts and D-Mo comes off the bench when both are healthy.

I don't even think that there are TJ camp people and DMO camp people. What I think it truly is, is just a good ol' classic message board pissing contest. It's old already. Root for your squad. Your whole squad.

#257 cdrive, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's alarming that they are still letting Jones take 12% of his FTA's from 3 point range given that he can't hit them. He's a layup or dunk only kind of offensive talent.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I would agree, it would be an indictment of the coaching staff very similar to when they put James Harden at center against Robin Lopez in the playoffs. It would be a "pants on head r****ded" kind of moment.

That said, McHale has made amazing strides the last few years as a coach so I just don't see it happening.

20. malakas

malakas Member

How about no. In our system with all the attention going to Dwight and Harden such a sharp decline in % FGA from 3 is not good. These are wide open shots.

Since I found that article for another thread I will post it here too.
    http://nyloncalculus.com/2015/09/02/deep-dives-open-shooters/

DMO: No.5 in the league with wide open (means alone in the gym) shots from 3 with 20% and no.2 in open shots with 78.5%.
    Basically besides Diaw he's the least respected by the defences 3point shooter that qualifies.
    He must shoot more shots from 3. Because they leave him wide open.