1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans, Free Agent Destination

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by torque, Jan 16, 2012.

1. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

With this year's run and the way we COMPLETELY outplayed the Ravens in their house in the 2nd round of the playoffs (yes, we did.), the Texans are now, indisputably, the league's IT team. I have a guarantee to make for this offseason: EVERY single NFL preview in the media is going to have the Texans coming out of the AFC. Every single one of them. We are young, talented, motivated. We also have two coaches that everyone seems to love playing for.

So...that brings me to my point: we are now the #1 destination for free agents in the league. With that in mind, I predict at least one big name free agent is going to sign in Houston this year. What are your predictions?

I'm going to assume that Foster and Mario will be back. I really hope this is true...can you imagine Watt, Smith, Mario, Barwin, Reed, Cushing and Ryans as your front 7? There are 3 legit super-duper stars in that group, WOW.

Anyway, with both Foster and Mario back, money won't be free flowing. Nevertheless, I think one big FA will come in. My prediction: Reggie Wayne. I think he's still got it.
    Foster, AJ, Reggie Wayne, OD and our O-Line? that's some serious talent on the offensive side.

2. Relentless

Relentless Member

It's like everything else come the offseason. We shall see. I do agree that some FAs will definitely consider coming to Houston.

We're a powerhouse with the real deal Schaub.

Our rise to the top has just begun gentlemen.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'll take that bet.

Money talks; that is, and always will be, the one and only deciding factor. Oh, sure - a guy might take "less" money than, say, the Rams are offering - but they're not going to come here and play for free.

Wayne's an interesting guy because I think he's played his last game as a Colt. (He'll be 34 next season.) And there's the U connection with AJ; if they have any relationship, it could help in his recruiting. The only problem is that he doesn't address a more long-term concern at WR, given his age. And if he wants to cash in, there are other places he could go. (Though, I'm guessing winning WILL be a factor for him, as I can't imagine he enjoyed this year.)

But assuming he's still healthy and viable... I'd love to have a guy like that.

4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Reggie Wayne isn't a playmaker anymore, we need a true deep threat. Walter and Dre are still a good combo when healthy, but Dre aint getting any younger. I'm fine using the draft to address this.

Corner is the only free agent position i'd go after, that and draft a guy too. Throw multiple potentially good players, one is bound to stick.

Those are out only positions of need.

I don't see us being players in the FA market, and i don't blame them. We're tigh against the cap as is.

5. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

As mentioned in the other thread, Dwayne Bowe please.

6. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

One of them won't be in out front 7. Who do you have at the nose in that 7. Reed will be back on the bench if Mario comes back.

7. mastraw18

mastraw18 Member

As far as FA's go, how about Drew Brees? :grin:

But in all seriousness, I would love Bowe, although I see him resigning in KC. I would like to go after Marcus Trufant. Physical CB who plays best in man-to-man and bump-and-run coverage, which Wade loves to play with all the blitzing LB's

8. Pete the Cheat

looks like Trufant has some lingering injury concerns.
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Seahawks-return-with-CB-Trufant-headed-to-IR-59116974

9. torque

Supporting Member

Well, Cody will be at the nose in all likelihood. Reed will come off the bench but will probably get heavy rotation.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

in a passing down, you could even move mario to DE with Watt or Smith at the tackle position. Then you'd have Brooks and Barwin edge rushing. That's a scary sight for a QB dropping back to pass

11. drewd17

drewd17 Member

From what I've read looks like he will get franchised

12. torque

Supporting Member

Yeah I was thinking about that. Watt, Mario, Barwin and Reed all rushing the QB on a 3rd down, wow. That's ridiculous. You add another good CB this offseason and that's an unstoppable defense. Cushing and Ryans, Manning, how is that even fair?

P.S. I hate Frank Bush.

13. codell

codell Contributing Member

Wasn't that the lineup in the 4-3 on passing downs?

LE Barwin
    DT Watt
    DT Smith
    RE Williams
    OLB - Reed
    MLB - Ryans
    OLD - Cushing

?

14. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This. We gotta bring back Mario. He is too talented, occupies two blockers and makes us so much more versatile than we already are.

Add a CB and add a WR and get another OL and we have to be the favorites for the Super Bowl in 2013.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Reed needs to start.

He has like 8.5 sacks in his last 11 games... and will cost very little compared to Mario Williams..... I would far rather have another elite reciever than Mario, simply because we have depth.

16. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If we resign Mario we won't be able to afford anybody else.

17. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Reed and Watt also lead the playoffs with 3.5 sacks each. IN TWO games. Love our young talent and love having to draft for depth finally!

Release or try to sign and trade Mario for a true #2 CB and draft picks. Then use the rest for a true #2 WR. Dump Jacoby and pray Walter does something besides being a fashion piece on the field.

18. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

let's not forget, texas has no state tax. surely that has to help recruit big ticket FAs?

19. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i would love to see williams back but looks unlikely...there has been talks of franchise tagging him and rightfully so... but if we retain him we cant sign any free agents to address areas of need which is fine as long as we draft smart but i dont see williams being back....

brent grimes and cortland finnegan are the cream of the crop when it comes to cornerbacks this year.... but i wouldnt mind getting the second tier corners in an underrated carlos rogers or brandon carr...

Laron Landry at safety would also be a fantastic addition at strong safety over glover quinn...

having a solid #2 wide reciever is a huge need and something we definately have to address(insert jacoby jones joke here)... we wont get bowe thats unlikely... i doubt we'll get desean jackson because our FO tends to stay away from players with red-flags...i can see us getting brandon lloyd which would make a fantastic #2... or even give braylon edwards a shot(considering he'll be uber cheap considering he sucked so badly and got cut before end of year...) we did it with derick mason this year so why not..

we are a solid football team with a very bright future... but with our tight salary cap room it seems the most additions we will make is thru the draft...

20. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I believe we can sign Foster and then just Franchise Mario but it will cost us 22M.