1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Watt earns highest PFF grade ever

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Sydeffect, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I know we have another thread about this, but I thought it deserved its own thread. :

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/29/refo-bills-texans-week-4/

Houston Texans — Performances of Note

J.J. Watt, DE: +13.5

Breakdown: As if there is anything you can say about Watt that hasn’t already been said. After two below-average weeks, by his standards, Watt regained his usual form and then some. Pending review of All-22 film in the coming days, Watt’s +13.5 overall grade currently sits as the highest PFF grade ever earned, eclipsing his previous record of +11.4 last season. There was little the Bills’ offensive line could do to stop him in the passing game as he tallied fifteen pressures. Watt’s nine hits (including one negated by his own roughing the passer penalty) were more than all but eight other 3-4 defensive ends had in the entire 2013 season.

Signature Plays: Watt started the day by beating Erik Pears for a hit on the first play of the game, and he finished (Q4 1:14) in similar fashion by beating Pears for another hit that helped lead to the game-ending interception.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, QB: +1.4

Breakdown: Outside of a fumbled snap that led to an easy stop on third down, Fitzpatrick played pretty well. Although the stat sheet shows two interceptions, he cannot be blamed for the batted pass turned interception, and the other was an outstanding play by Leodis McKelvin. He had a couple good passes dropped, but was able to get first downs when needed in the second half. He also scrambled to pick up two third-down conversions.

Signature Stat: Fitzpatrick finished the game with an overall Accuracy Percentage of 77.1%, and 66.7% when pressured.

Johnathan Joseph, CB: -0.7

Breakdown: At first glance it looks like Joseph had a better day in coverage (-1.4) than he did. He was targeted 10 times, but allowed just four catches for 27 yards. Two catches went for first downs, another three passes were dropped by Watkins, and Manuel was off-target more than once. To his credit, Joseph did have a nice pass defense on third down again Mike Williams.

Signature Play: On third down mid-way through the first quarter (5:41), Manuel finds Watkins on an out route past the first down marker, but Watkins was unable to haul it in.

PFF Game Ball

Without question, the game ball goes to J.J. Watt. In one of the best performances, if not the best, of his short career, he was an absolute force upfront for which Buffalo just did not have an answer. Topped off with a batted pass turned pick-six and Watt’s day could hardly have been more impactful or impressive.

1 person likes this.
  2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Cowherd said on his show JJ Watt is the most over rated player because he only has 2 sacks and 15 tackles.
    [​IMG]

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Watt is not human and should not be compared to other human Defensive Ends.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Watt was fined for a salute, I'm just glad Charlie Strong wasn't on our staff to kick him off the team.

[​IMG]

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

The scary thing is Watt is getting better. Not only that, but he is a workhorse.

6. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

So you were listening to Cowherd? Embarassing!

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

[​IMG]

8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

How good will WATT be when Clowney is lined up next to him?!?!?

Clowney!!!, please get and stay healthy fast!!!!

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I don't know if y'all will agree with me, but the first flag for hitting the QB low was earned fair and square. We would NOT want Mario Williams or the other Williams to have done that to any of our QBs.

I liked the fact that he let Manuel know he was going to harass him the entire game, but I also liked the fact that the refs gave him that flag, so he stays humble and hits QBs on their numbers and upper body, like what the rule was made for. I believe he had like three steps AFTER he left the tackle's block... where he could have pulled UP towards Manuel's body instead of the legs.
    Anyone want to discuss this? :eek:

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

yeah....that was the hope.

If he can play more than a handful of downs, this defense is going to be so fun to watch.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fortunately, Mario was nowhere to be seen this game.

12. edwardc

edwardc Member

This douchebag doesn't have a clue.

13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

BLASPHEMY!!! You deserve to be BANNED FOR LIFE!!!!

Seriously, QBs are football players. They should be allowed to get hit just like any other player. I hate the QB protection rules just like I hate the rules that favor the offense which is just about everything nowadays.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Well Cowturd has to say stuff like this for attention, its what ESPN does.

15. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While the first one seemed low and a legit flag, the second one looked like it was above the knees. Is the rule you can't tackle the QB between the knees and waist? If so, that leaves such a small window to aim for (since for sure you can't hit above the shoulders).

16. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

couple of cheapshots the other teams tried to get in on Watt as well. he should be allowed to dish out a few now and then.

17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Cowherd contradicts himself, but I find his show entertaining. Relates things to real life well.

Watt = GOAT defender

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought it was the other way around, but regardless. I felt one was warranted as per the rule, but one seemed to hit the QB squarely on the mid thigh, which I thought was ok.

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

ND Kalu said this morning he thinks Watt could end up being the GOAT on the defensive side.

He's just a beast of the highest order.

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Cowherd is a clueless idiot. Just imagine what type of season Watt would have if he actually had help on the D-line.