1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CHRONIC] Luis 'MVP' Scola does it again. Can he do that for the Rockets, too?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://blogs.chron.com/nba/2009/09/luis_mvp_scola_does_it_again_c.html

Yao Ming takes his jump shots from a chair, will likely miss the season and probably has completed his national team career.

Tracy McGrady is still working his way back from his microfracture surgery. The Rockets cannot know when McGrady will return. And after one FIBA Americas appearance, McGrady is even more certain to have ended his international playing career.

Luis Scola, however, goes merrily along.

He starred for Argentina again this month, earning MVP honors for the second time in three seasons for carrying his national team beyond expectations limited by injuries and absences, something the Rockets would like for him to somehow do again.

With Manu Ginobili, Andres Nocioni, Walter Hermann, Carlos Delfino and Fabricio Oberto all unavailable, Argentina still qualified for next summer's World Championships in Turkey, largely because Scola willed his team to five-consecutive wins, averaging 23.3 points in the tournament. :eek:

I asked him last spring if he planned to play this summer and he looked at me as if I were nuts, either because he is observant or because for him, there is no decision to make. He of course wants to play any time he has that option. This is how he goes about his career, always seeking to squeeze everything he can from every opportunity. It is also how he plays, getting the most he can from his ability.

Scola is one of those guys we all knew that plays in a way that matches his personality. In his case, that means he plays hard, with passion and for the team. And the rest of the time, he embraces experiences around the world his career brings him. He is the way we all think we would be if we could play professional sports.

In many ways, his and Shane Battier's approach has become the mentality of the Rockets. That will be tested next season. It is easier to believe that honest effort and intelligence can carry a team when it is working; much tougher through difficult times.

For now, however, the question that leaps to mind is whether Scola can do for the Rockets what he did for Argentina.

Averaging 23.3 points in a FIBA-length game is pretty remarkable, but the Rockets would be thrilled if he could give them the 16.2 points and 56.9 percent shooting (in 33.3 minutes) of his first-round series against the Trail Blazers last season.

That might be within reason. It could be tough to shoot that well. He burned the Blazers' determination to keep Yao surrounded after Yao's perfect Game 1 and the Rockets' rout. But if the Rockets operate their offense so well that they finally get defenders on the move and if they run the way they plan, Scola should be able to average 16, 17 points and hit half his shots.

That might not quite what he did to carry Argentina, but it would be a good start for the Rockets. Either way, they are thrilled to have seen him do it again.

• • •

On the subject of international tournaments, Rockets second-round pickup Sergio Llull is playing for Spain. If you are so inclined, and have loads of time on your hands, you can find the games online at FIBA.com.

The Rockets' other second-round acquisitions, Jermaine Taylor and Chase Budinger, were back at Toyota Center on Wednesday, resuming their off-season workouts along with Aaron Brooks, Chuck Hayes and James White. Joey Dorsey has also been a regular this summer. Trevor Ariza, among others, is due in next week.

• • •

Watching a ton of tennis the past two weeks, I truly enjoy watching the players carry their own bags around. Apparently, it's not just a rule. They showed Roger Federer arrive for his match tonight. He was carrying one of those bags the size of a Mini Cooper around the parking lot.

I've seen NBA players have one assistant to carry their man purse and another to say, "It's European!"

I guess James White is still on the team.... :)

1 person likes this.
  2. True Rocket

True Rocket Member

I haven't heard shizzle from Ariza since he signed with Houston.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

:D .....

4. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

The Scola train just keeps chugging along.

We are so lucky to have this guy, just a shame we can't put more talent around him while we've got him.

5. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Scola's new nickname -- Mr. MVP :D

6. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

The Scola-Ship is sailing, who's on board?

7. tofu--

tofu-- Member

He's been in LA for the most part (my friends are huge Lakers fans). Last I heard he was playing a pickup game with Farmar or something.

8. alex09xu

alex09xu Member

he reminds me of one of those guys who dont shower for weeks and dont give a rats ass about anything and just hustles.

9. RocketGirl6

RocketGirl6 Member

I'm so glad we took him from the Spurs, he gets my vote for MVP since last season he played all 82 games plus the playoffs and never complained. He's just a very dedicated person and thats nice to see. I think the Rockets are lucky to have him.

10. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

LUIS SCOLA
    MVP

[​IMG]

-rocketblaze

11. redao

redao Member

He is all heart. I hope he retires his jersey with rockets.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Any reason why he's the only significant Arg player to play in these tournaments?

13. devilsdandruff

is that USA on his jersey?

14. albuster

albuster Member

The Rockets also need to watch how the Argentine national team plays with Scola and how they utilize him. The Argentine team knows very well that Scola has the unique ability to fine the open spots on the court so they look for him all the time knowing that he is almost open around the painted area.
    All the Rockets guards need to do is recognize this and find him at every opportunity.

15. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

16. jaymeeh

jaymeeh Member

if you're forreal, it says VISA.

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

i foresee a more beastly scola in this upcoming season.

18. optAmystik

optAmystik Member

Scola will enjoy his increased role on the team this year, as will we. Dare I say that we will look a little more like the international style of play that Scola has put on display for all the world to see this summer.

19. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

He's like the Tim Duncan of South America.

20. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

I wish we could have picked him up 4-5 years ago.