1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[boxing] Cotto v. Mosley

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by pchan, Nov 10, 2007.

Tags:
  1. pchan

pchan Member

A very nice card tonight at MSG featuring Miguel Cotto and Shane Mosley.

Antonio Margarito and Cassamayor are some of the names in the undercard.

I give a slight edge to Shane here. He looked good against luis collazo and I thought collazo would have been tough for shane, but he handled him nicely.

I am interested to see Cotto's power against the top tier fighters. Whatever the result, i would be interesting, because I am going to MSG to watch it live!! :D

2. ThreePointShot

Have to say it, but I saw the thread title as "Cuttino Mobley" at first.

3. 3rdCoastNate

3rdCoastNate Member

Is there a way to watch this online?

4. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

Very entertaining fight, I would have ruled it a draw, but I can see how Cotto won it, by a slight margin. It was not a cut and dry win for Cotto, but if he was to fight Mayweather I can see how he could give Floyd major problems. I don't know if he would beat Mayweather unless he knocked him out. But at this point I don't think anyone can beat Floyd unless they knock him out.

Good fight, can't wait for December 8th!!!

Also the Casamayor/Santa Cruz fight was a robbery! Those judges should be jailed for that, I really hope Santa Cruz appeals it, theres NO WAY that Casamayor won it. I know its a business and they want to set up a royal ass whooping for Casamayor against Juan Diaz, but cmon, that is just bad for the sport. Although I am happy that Diaz is going to give him the beating of his life.

5. kungfueurotrash

Joe Calzaghe can beat both Cotto and Mayweather if in the same weight class i think? Manny pacquio if spelled right can beat Juan Diaz....

6. pchan

pchan Member

Agree about Santa Cruz v. Casamayor, no way casamayor won that fight. It was a rather boring fight.

Victor Ortiz knocking out Maussa was impressive. Maussa's wild swing was even more impressively comical live.

Margarito simply demolished golden johnson. It was exciting to watch. I can't understand why he is not more popular to the general fans.

Shane was winning the beginning of the fight and the end of the fight. He was taking some middle rounds off, but he still should've won. The crowd was so pro-Cotto. People were going crazy when Cotto landed a jab and going nuts when he threw a punch that was blocked by Mosley.

I feel like they are building up Cotto like they built up Taylor. NO named Older fighters will win a decision against Cotto, especially not in the Garden, it's Cotto's house.

the next guy to beat cotto would have to knock him out like pavlik knock out Taylor.

7. bladeage

Calzaghe is overrated in my opinion. He has fought trash as far as I am concerned and the only way he can prove he is king of his division, is if he beats Pavlik or Taylor, which I know he cannot. He MIGHT stand a chance against Taylor, but Pavlik will destroy Calzaghe. Pacquiao on the other hand, CAN be Juan Diaz if Diaz is off his game because Diaz fights best moving forward and so does Manny, whoever takes on the aggressor role in that fight would win. I don't think Manny can knock him out. Unfortunately for Manny, he needs to get past Juan Manuel Marquez, which he will not. Marquez has his number, which is why Manny has been avoiding him.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He beat kessler pretty good. Calzaghe could beat both Taylor and pavlik.

9. Mattj

Mattj Member

Joe is not overrated. There is a common mistake among American fight fans, that if a guy fights most of his fights in Europe, he is overrated. Guess what...while our best athletes are playing football and basketball, alot of the best Euros box. Calzaghe, Arthur Abraham, pretty much all of the cruiserweights, are good athletes that own their respective competition. I have alot of respect for Bernard Hopkins, but he will be killed in the ring if he gets in with Calzaghe. I don't know anyone in the 168-175 weight classes that can hang with Joe right now. Chad Dawson would probably have the best chance since he can punch with power in both hands.

PS: Casamayor sucks, he'll retire before he gets his Baby Bull ass kicking.

10. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

11. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

I thought the fight was a draw. With Cotto winning, it could possibly set up for a fight against de la hoya ,sometime may next year. If that doesnt happen, I could see DLH also fighting Ricky hatton if he wins over mayweather.

12. bladeage

No matter who Oscar fights, he will lose. Cotto will knock him out.. Hatton will pressure him and probably lay him out with a body shot. He won't fight Margarito because he won't want to get killed, he can't fight Paul Williams because he isn't a big enough name yet and he would get dominated. I say Oscar should just fight the winner of Roy Jones vs Trinidad.. that way he can set it up as a farewell to boxers that were once great and now fighting out of pride.

13. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

:D

I still want to see it though, after all the smack he's been talking.

14. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I hope Oscar doesn't try to fight the winner of Hatton vs Mayweather...or anyone for that matter. He is washed up and done.

I would love to see Pavlik and Calzaghe hook up at some point, but first Corey has to get past Taylor again (which I think he will.)

I'm really looking forward to Hatton and Pretty Boy. I would love to see Floyd get knocked the F out!

15. bladeage

Who is Corey? The Kelly Pavlik vs Jermain Taylor rematch is set for February. Corey Spinks is going to fight Taylor again?

16. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

LOL, Corey. I meant Kelly. I hadn't had my 2nd cup of coffee on a Monday morning. ;)

17. NBAHOU713

NBAHOU713 Contributing Member

DLH has a couple of fights left. So he'll go after the biggest names in boxing to make some money while he goes out. I predict a fight next year versus one of those two fighters i mentioned. I dont think that many people will be that interested in seeing tito vs dlh. I havent seen enough of DLH to say he's done and washed up just yet. Cottos chin is a weakness, if DLH catches him with a left hook, goodnight Cotto.