1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Is Johnny Football the Pick We Are Missing?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by solid, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solid

solid Contributing Member

You know, when you think about it, isn't Manziel a "McNair" kind of pick. Great PR value, exciting, entertaining, potentially a huge impact. I think he is flying in under the radar. Is Teddy that much better? They are both relatively high risk, high reward choices.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

The only thing you're going to do is fill the stadium with a lot more Aggies, the way you're doing it now with more Cougars. Nothing wrong with that, but you're not objectively seeing this as a good fit for the Texans. :eek:

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gvdf5n-zI14" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Ever since McNair picked Vince Young #1 in 2006, it's been apparent that he's all about the PR.

:rolleyes:

Bridgewater is seemingly a much lower risk pick than Manziel. Pocket Passer with NFL height running a pro style offense vs an undersized scrambler running the Air Raid. You have a better idea of how the former's skills will translate to the NFL than you do the latter.

5. ThisIsOurCity

ThisIsOurCity Member

Johnny is one of the best college football players of the last decade but so was Vince Young. We all know how VY's career has turned out. I would not take Johnny in the first round.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Add in Tim Tebow.

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Manziel and his ability to hold the ball 5 seconds each snap does sound appealing.

8. solid

I am not saying I would make the pick, but would McNair? Yes, he didn't push for Vince Young, but maybe he wishes he had.

9. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Let's see: Manzel is an arrogant, spoiled-brat rich kid who feels entitled. He'll fit right in with the Dallas Cowboys.

Vince who?

10. mick fry

mick fry Member

Its not about mcnair, its about who he entrusts to rebuild this team and who best fits their system.. At least thats how it should be. Im afraid by mcnair not firing Smith just shows what direction this team is headed.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Too many stupid INTs for my liking. And half of his TDs are quick screens that the WR breaks for 50 yards.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Accurate. But from what I hear, he's also as competitive as they come.

13. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

If by picks you mean all of the INT's he's going to throw because he refuses to take a sack, then yes. He's going to be a crappier version of Romo.

14. Fantasma Negro

Yes just cause he's so damn awesome
    [​IMG]

15. solid

I still say that McNair might pick him. Maybe in a lower round. Let's face it, people want to see him play.

16. the shark

the shark Member

no way he's on the board after the 20th pick in the 1st round.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Fanatically so to the point of it becoming all consuming. Which is not a good thing because it causes him to lose self control and perspective. He's what we used to call a "hellraiser" which can be good on a football field during a game but can be really bad if he's pulled over for a DUI. Given his physical stature, he'd have to have a offense tailored around his skill set which is sort what just happened here with Schaub. Not sure if I'd want to roll those dice on Manzel but thankfully that's one decision I don't have to make and justify down the road if it breaks bad.

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

It’s rather obvious that Johnny Manziel, Texas A&M quarterback and former Heisman Trophy winner, is a dynamic player at the college level.

Just how well will he translate into the NFL though?

Many see Manziel going in the first round, one mock says to the Raiders, but is “Johnny Football” really worth that high of a pick?

According to at least Jerome Solomon of Houston Chronicle, he thinks Manziel is worth a first round pick for the Houston Texans. He also likens him to one Joe Namath:

Whether they buck what is certain to be general perception (more on that in a bit) and take Manziel at No. 1 or No. 2, or trade down and take him later, my Christmas wish – after the obligatory peace on earth and no ugly sweaters or ties – is for the roof at Reliant Stadium to open on Johnny Football’s debut next September.
    On occasion, the right person falls in line with the right team. If that team makes the smart call, its fortune changes for the better. This is such a case.
    Think Broadway Joe Namath and the New York Jets.

He goes on to say that the Texans need a change in philosophy, and Manziel can usher that in:

Should the Texans make a move for a player like Manziel, it would indicate less a change in overall philosophy than a shift in willingness to make the face of the franchise a person with flair.
    It is time for the Texans to stop taking the believed-to-be safe route at the team’s most important position. Stop being boring.
    The Texans need a new leader. A bold leader. One with the heart to get it done and the ability to inspire others.

And finally, Solomon waxes poetic on Johnny Football:

Manziel could move the Texans from the franchise that garners little respect to one that is talked about nationally.
    He would make fans believe again. And as hard as he worked to this point, he looks like one who would do what it takes to deliver on the field.

Would Manziel be the right fit for Houston? Many see them taking a quarterback, so he fits the bill there. He’s a big Texas personality who can be a star figure in the league, and there’s no doubt in my mind that he’s a dynamic quarterback.

19. htownb4lla

htownb4lla Member

Tim Tebow is/was a star in the league too, doesn't make him a good pro qb.

I dont take JF (im an aggie too) unless its 2nd or 3rd round.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Manziel will look a lot like Tony Romo as a pro but can start his first year instead of Tony's extended apprenticeship . If you want Romo II draft Johnny.

I'd enjoy it but it might be too much drama for The Battlefighter's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.