1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Texans #1 Draft Pick Thread (2.0)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2014.

?

What should the Texans do with the #1 Pick?

Poll closed May 1, 2014.
  1. Anthony Barr

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Blake Bortles

0.3%
  3. Teddy Bridgewater

9.4%
  4. Jadeveon Clowney

56.8%
  5. Khalil Mack

1.9%
  6. Johnny Manziel

26.6%
  7. Jake Matthews

1.6%
  8. Greg Robinson

1.0%
  9. Sammy Watkins

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Undecided

2.3%
  1. solid

solid Contributing Member

With that attitude you will never get a date with my daughter! ;)

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Interestingly enough, WalterFootball's newest mock has the Texans taking Clowney in the first round and Bridgewater in the second round.....Of course they also have them taking Tre Mason in the 3rd round, so it's kind of hard to take them seriously.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They have the Texans taking Garopollo in the second. Bridgewater is in the first. #11.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Adam Schefter:

3 biggest draft story-lines

1. What are the Texans going to do at number one because no one knows what Houston's plans are. The thinking around the league is the Texans are likely to go with a defensive player if they don't trade out of that spot. A lot of people think defense or trade.

2. Then there's the question of Derek Carr or Teddy Bridgewater? A lot of people feel Derek Carr's stock is moving up the last few weeks; Teddy Bridgewater's stock could be moving down the last few weeks. A lot of people now wouldn't be surprised if Derek Carr was taken ahead of Teddy Bridgewater in the first round. That wouldn't be a real upset right now.

3. The team with the biggest QB need is the Cleveland Browns. They have Brian Hoyer. Hoyer is the guy they plan on starting but everyone knows the Browns will take a QB high in the draft. The question is which one? They'll work out Johnny Manziel Saturday, Manziel coming to Cleveland, McCarron coming to Cleveland, Bortles coming to Cleveland, Murray coming to Cleveland. Cleveland is definitely going QB at some point high in the draft. The question is how high and which QB?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The joy--and confusion--of being the Houston Texans and holding that No. 1 pick. Read Option. <a href="http://t.co/RMQudaMKWo">http://t.co/RMQudaMKWo</a></p>&mdash; Dan Pompei (@danpompei) <a href="https://twitter.com/danpompei/statuses/456784228584542208">April 17, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Edge Rushers 1.0

#404 J.R., Apr 17, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If the Texas stay at #1 I'd take Clowney. I don't think taking another player at that pick is really an option.

What I'm hoping is that the Texans can move down for a nice haul and still land TB or Manziel.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

The "haul' for trade downs depends on the perceived value or scarcity for a player or a position.
    None of the big 3 QB's is seen as near the value of RGIII and there isn't a certainty that Clowney will be better than Mack. Why would Atlanta trade a lot to get Clowney when they can stay put and pick Mack? The only reason would be if they think both would be gone by #6, but that still only requires a trade up to #2.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it depends on what they want, if they want a dominant pass rusher and run stopper, they'd need Clowney, if they want a very solid OLB who is good in coverage and has a good speed rush so long as no one touches him, then they could be fine with Mack.

Mack is still one of the better prospects in this class, but it's a pretty big step down from Clowney. That said, I agree with your premise, without any QB worth trading up for I doubt there will be a good enough offer on the board to seriously consider trading down.

8. Remii

Remii Member

Last season Clowney only had 3 sacks and opposing teams averaged over 5 yards per carry when they ran at him and averaged over 4 yards per carry when they ran away from him... THAT IS NOT DOMINANT

You Clowney fan boys are worst than the Teddy/Johnny fans because at least Teddy and Johnny aren't being hyped because of a YouTube video.

9. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't know why. What's changed? What has either of them done in the last week to produce a rise or fall? The answer is probably nothing and somebody is just trying to create a story.

Related to that though, Kiper now has the Texans taking Clowney at #1 and Bridgewater at #33. I'd be very happy with that, but you know Kiper changes stuff just to change stuff.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I posted the tweets yesterday that explains it, they say that most of the time someone "falls" is because the people in the media rate the player early then start getting a better understanding of the player as the process goes on as well as a feel for what teams think about them so they drop.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Here, I'll just re-post them for you

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Been asked why I see Bridgewater falling. This is it -- Hard to place him. I know a few teams that like him. Tough to find 1 that loves him.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/456475707686662145">April 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Media perception of TB &gt; Teams' perception MT <a href="https://twitter.com/jgrover1533">@jgrover1533</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer">@AlbertBreer</a> What happened to &quot;Tape never lies&quot;? Bad pro day and now he is trash?</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/456478303218446336">April 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Oftentimes a player &quot;rising&quot;/&quot;falling&quot; on &quot;draft boards&quot; is really a matter of us in the media getting a firmer handle on what teams think.</p>&mdash; Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) <a href="https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/statuses/456479333092036608">April 16, 2014</a></blockquote>

12. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

This is EXACTLY what I am talking about.

If it coincides with what Bobby thinks, it must be true.

If it doesn't, it must be false.

Bobby is just a sheep

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL what happened to you man? Remember me telling you about how you get more and more cranky and angry the closer the draft is, the more it looks like your guy won't be picked? It's a lot worse now than it even was then. You need to get a handle on things because it's getting pretty bad. Go back and check out threads a few months ago then look at them now and note your difference in tone. There is a sense of desperation to it now that wasn't nearly as present earlier. It's going to be okay guy.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kiper's latest mock

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I like what it has the Texans doing, and I like what it has the Jags doing. Sammy Watkins and Jimmy G is a pretty nice haul.

16. Remii

Remii Member

Sammy, Blackmon, and Shorts... I hope Clowney and J.J. can cover those guys.

17. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Considering that Jimmy G folds up under pressure.

I welcome that pick for the jags

18. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

Ok Robert

19. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Anybody who hated the way Schaub would prematurely curl up and wait to get sacked should be strongly anti-Garoppolo.

20. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

You would think

I have enough of the bad pocket presence for a lifetime