1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Options for the 1st Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Spacemoth, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Raven

Raven Member

Too risky to trade down.

2. Remii

Remii Member

Justin Gilbert
    Mike Evans
    Clinton-Dix
    Johnny, Teddy, and Blake

That's 6 more players to add to your 7....

3. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I meant pick them up in the appropriate rounds using the compensatory picks, extra 6th from Schaub and extra picks from a trade down.

Garappolo and Carr are probably 2nd. rounders.
    Metzenberg, McCarron -3rd
    Thomas , Murray , Boyd -4th or 5th
    Fales and Savage - 6th or 7th
    Paschal- undrafted FA

Use the cheap picks to hedge your bet, up the competition and look for the next Brady.
    We have 11 picks, with a trade down we could have 14, enough to use 2 on QB prospects.
    Even if your #1 and 2 are from Fitzpatrick, Keenum and Yates you can groom the best one on the practice squad.

4. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Who knows, maybe we'll see a Belicheck-ian scenario where we trade all our picks for like 5 2nd rounders lol.

At least the team is interesting now. I f-ing hated Mr. Predictable Gary Kubiak. Everyone in the league knew their tendencies which is why Baltimore so easily traded in front of us last year to snatch up Arthur Brown. We were so unprepared after that point that we brain farted and took a younger version of Bernard Pollard into a defense that had no way to incorporate such a box safety. Every time we did try to surprise the league, we usually outsmarted ourselves and reached for scrubs like Xavier Adibi, Anthony Hill, Roc Carmichael; or we took the overly safe route and got guys with low ceilings like Brooks Reed, Brandon Harris, or Darryl Sharpton.

Everyone knows that Rick Smith is an empty suit who can recite the company refrain and sit at the conference table while the capologist (or Bob McNair) negotiates FA contracts. In reality the head coach is the decision maker on this team, and for the first time in history it seems like we actually defied connections, defied nepotism, and defied the Texas Good Ole Boy culture to go out and hire the best talent, regardless of what part of the country he's from. It's a nice feeling, finally having someone in the front office who is capable.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Gilbert maybe, but there are a lot of guys I trust like Mayock who think Denard is better. and Evans is a good player, but it's such a deep WR draft, who's to say Benjamin won't turn out to be a better pro? Plus it's not exactly a position of need for us. I don't see us drafting Dix after signing Clemons. We have 6 safeties on our roster right now. As for the QBs...Johnny is on my list, and I think you have to consider the other 3 (Teddy, Bortles, and Carr) at #9, but I'm not really sold on any of them.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On the contrary, trading down is the "safe" move.

It would be too risky to hang on to the pick... no matter who it is. Yes, its "high risk/high reward" if it pays off, but its also "high risk/guaranteed failure" if the first pick is anything short of a franchise player.

They can trade down, get a "great" player... and solidify other needs with the extra picks.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Who's to say Ford and Marcus Smith won't be better pro's than Clowney and Mack when they had just as good if not better years...??? We can do that with all these guys. And you trust Mayock on Gilbert but you don't trust him on Blake when he has Blake ranked as his best quarterback...???

Drafting for need is what Kubiak always like to do... And Romeo and O'Brien didn't draft the current safeties on this team... We have 6 of them and 5 of them are garbage. Seattle has TWO stud safeties by the way. New Orleans just did the same thing...

8. basketballholic

We need to come away with Mack out of this draft.

9. Aruba77

I'll admit I was puzzled last year when we drafted a box safety with our 2nd round pick, but it's way too early to call DJ garbage. And manning at reduced pay is a serviceable safety. So when you add in Clemons, who I'd say is above average, and Keo being good on special teams, I'd say that we are in good shape at safety. Dix has been consistently projected as a mid-1st round pick. I know he's a good player, but is he that special? I'm asking that seriously, I haven't watched him enough. I saw some guys had Pryor ranked ahead of him. Is he Earl Thomas or Eric Berry? Because those are the kinds of players that justify BPA. And I'm a BPA guy btw.

10. Remii

Remii Member

Excuse me, I was operating under the assumption Manning will be gone. But I'm just going off play on the field and there's a thin line between playing like a rookie and playing like an idiot. DJ could get better but I see a long maturation process for that kid (like with Jackson). Yes I do see that type of potential in Dix (I like Calvin too).

I'm not restricted with staying in the top 7 because I feel Sammy is the only sure thing in that group. I would be fine if they traded back to 9 and then traded back again (if there's not a quarterback O'Brien wants). BPA is just a matter of opinion and in this particular draft with so many underclassmen committing and there being more players than draft slots makes it even more difficult to judge because there's so much talent.

This is not the draft to fall in love with the top media darlings. And if O'Brien and Rick Smith are serious about trading back to #9 it shows that they may not be. I just think they should be trying to load up on as many picks as they can so they can flip this roster as fast as they can. But never know how true the Buffalo trade rumor is.

11. Aruba77

For the record, I think they should be loading up with as many picks as possible too. But if we are forced to stay at #1, as far as I'm concerned the pick has to be Manziel or Clowney.

12. Raven

Raven Member

I want the Texans to keep the pick and draft Manziel or Clowney.

13. Remii

Remii Member

If they keep the pick. I don't think they HAVE to spend it on a 6 foot quarterback or a guy with 3 sacks... It's other options as well.

14. Since75

Since75 Member

Do any recent 6ft qb's have Superbowl rings? Also how many sacks did the guy with 3 sacks have the 2 previous years? Look at the totality of a guys work and not one season or his size.

15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Just want to say I'm on board with the premise of the OP. I could definitely see that playing out, and I'm hopeful the Texans trade out, acquire 2-3 extra 1st/2nd rounders between this year and next, and draft a QB later in the 1st. Keep hyping Clowney, media!

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

I want to trade up!!! Keep the 1.1 and try to get another in the top 10. C'mon Rick let's get it done!!!

17. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

18. Remii

Remii Member

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Well that's not happening. Best running back in the league for an unproven perhaps unmotivated rookie (Clowney). Nope. But if the Vikings are that stupid, jump on it. They may want JF, but they won't give up AD for him either.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

29 year old RB for the first pick in the draft? Sounds like just the trade you make if you want to get fired.