1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where do Troy Daniels shooting feats rank all-time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanswin2013, Apr 18, 2014.

1. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

D-league or not. Doing the things he's done is, unreal to say the least.

Troy Daniels has made a D-league record, 240 3 pointers in just 48 GAMES on 40% shooting from 3.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...anietr01d.html

To compare, Steph Curry, one of the greatest in NBA history made 272 3's in 78 games.

I don't think Curry could even make THAT many 3's in so few games. I could be wrong. And say what you want about the D-league, but guys are playing for checks and guys are hustling for their careers.

Now Daniels, in actual NBA games right now, is shooting a ridiculous 48% from 3 on 12-25 from 3 in just 5 games playing 15 MPG.

2. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

probably safe to say fatigue has not been a factor in his games yet.

3. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

The shooting over 40 percent with that number of attempts is scary.

He should get anywhere between 15-30 minutes a game pending on his shot that night. He will be a great weapon that opens up the floor for Jeremy to PNR.

4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

No matter how hard the guys may be playing, it's still d-league. He is off to a hot start with the Rockets but it is way too early to make any major judgment on him besides saying he should be in the rotation.

5. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

yeah he's basically shooting like how we hoped canaan wouldve shot from the get go

6. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

You cant have a thread about "All-time shooters" and then say "D-league or not". As much as i like Daniels and think of his shooting potential, you have to wait until there is a big enough sample size in the NBA.

7. ross84

ross84 Contributing Member

A shooter has an easier transition compared to other types. He will get his open shots, D league or Pro.

8. kwakmeister

kwakmeister Contributing Member

Not sarcasm, if he truly is this great then why was he sent to the d-league? As far as I know nba teams play people before they are completely 'nba ready'. It's also my understanding that Houston is amazing at utilizing the d-league, so perhaps I'm answering my own inquiry. My question is rooted a bit deeper though because if I recall there was a player on the rgv squad that now plays for like Denver or Memphis or something and had done outstanding moments in the nba this year, so I'm wondering if Daniels has the opportunity to jet like he did. James Johnson or something... I just remember two J's for some reason lol

9. ross84

I don't know much about the guy but maybe he had too many liabilities. Ball handling, turn overs, bad defense, etc. But if he is a great shooter and his liability is not that high he will positively impact almost any team in the NBA. This is a crazy example but Reggie Miller was one of those guys. The dude had a sick jump shot and made it to the Hall of Fame list.

10. bmd

bmd Member

Yeah, I don't care if it's D-League. An open 3 is an open 3.

The Rockets get a lot of open 3's, and Daniels would get a lot of chances to bomb away from 3 on the Rockets.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Because he was undrafted. He had to get a chance to play.

He's just a rookie.

Even Jones, who is a starter, played a lot in the D-League his first year.

Plus, Daniels isn't really proven. He can shoot 3's amazingly well. We already knew that. But everything else is still a work in progress.

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

D League doesn't mean anything. People act like shooting 50% in a rec league is a big deal. It isn't.

It's much much harder to make an open 3 in an NBA game than it is in the D League. The game speed is night and day. The defensive intensity is completely different.

The guys in the NBA release that ball with so much quickness and arc after having sprinted down the floor. Even on an open 3 there is a guy running at you at full speed and you have to think about getting it off before it can be blocked.

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

To be fair, the pace at which RGV play is off the charts, and Daniels was logging substantial minutes for the team, so there has to be some element of fatigue that he is experiencing. Not at all the same as an 82 game NBA season, but still a ridiculous 3 point shooting feat.

14. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

cite.

1 person likes this.
  15. ross84

Players easily adjust to something like that. They get more in shape and they will adjust to the pace. If you told me there is this amazing center who has awesome post moves in the D league, I would say go to hell. But a spot 3 is the same. Yes the shooter might have a fraction of a second less to shoot but they will adjust. And we are not saying he is going to be this amazing amazing player. No, it seems as a rookie he could give us quality productive minutes. But I think he has to play with the starting unit. He will need that scoring threat that will draw the defense away from him.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

What? A three point shot is the same either way. Once he gets his defense down he will be ready. Right now he has a skill that other playoff teams would kill for.

17. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

why would I care how many games it took someone to hit X number of 3s? I would care how many attempts it took someone to hit X number of 3s.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Troysanity.

19. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

It's this in a nutshell, 40% on 12.5 3's or 45% on 6.1 3's per game?

20. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Dan Langhi