1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Kiper 4.0 Mock ESPN Blunder Texans = JD+TB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Mirri3000, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

For roughly 15 seconds, Mel's new mock was fully available, so I copied it, but I'll only post the Texans selections unless asked. Of course, he isn't predicting trades, but he has 3 QB's jumping Teddy Bridgewater in the draft, even though TB is number 2 on his big board. This leaves the Texans as selecting the top 2 rated players in the draft, both at places of need.

Usually don't put stock in mocks, but I thought it was worthy. Enjoy!

Mel Kiper 4.0

1Jadeveon ClowneyCOLLEGE: South CarolinaClass: JrHT: 6-5WT: 266POS: DE
    Analysis: I'm certain the debate about which player to take still exists, and whether the pick could be moved. I still think this could be a quarterback. But I believe that while more than one "safe" pick exists in this draft, it's hard to play it safer in terms of upside than selecting a generational physical talent, a guy who has exceptional physical skills and the ability to bring immediate impact and create consistent matchup problems up front as teams deal with the reality of how to block both Clowney and J.J. Watt. The questions on Clowney still aren't enough to diminish the potential impact. He's the top prospect in a draft full of very good ones, and I think Houston will feel the same.

33. Houston Texans | *Teddy Bridgewater, QB, Louisville
    Let me be clear: This is the top-rated quarterback on my Big Board, a player I have rated higher than Bortles, Manziel or Carr. (It's very close on the top three, however.) But my reading of the tea leaves in speaking with many evaluators around the league is that Bridgewater could drop if he slides past a couple of points early on. If I could project trades, I'd have someone taking him later in Round 1 having moved up. Obviously, he's a steal at this point.

2. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he slides anywhere past pick 15 or so, we should just try our best to trade up. 2nd + 3rd this year, maybe a 3rd next year.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

again, BO'B doesn't want a skinny, dumb QB

it's just not a fit, boys. Let it go

4. Bogey

Bogey Contributing Member

Actually I was thinking trade back on the second round pick for additional picks. If TB is there, I think the value would actually go up. We have too many holes to fill.

Now if Manziel slides, my position does a 180, guess thats what being a fan is all about.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Weren't you just championing Kiper in the other thread for "doing this for decades", yet now you disagree with Kiper on the Texans picking up Teddy.

bigtexxx, in your opinion, are you more knowledgeable than Mel Kiper regarding the draft?

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You said Teddy would be good, just not good enough to be the #1 pick.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We have too many holes to fill to waste that much on him. If we thought he was worth a 2nd and 3rd we'd waste our first on him. I think we take him if he's there, take someone else if he's not.

8. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

I tend to agree with Mel and Todd that Carr has leaped in front of Teddy as far as projections go. Arm strength is right under Brain strength as far as QB's are concerned.

Carr just won't be a Texan, due to the whole city rioting if that happened.

I'm not a great Bridgewater supporter, but if he slid into round two, for whatever reason, I think we select QB here anyway, and he is gonna be higher on BOB's board than Garrapolo, who I actually support.

I'm fully against trading up in any situation before round 5, we have too many holes to fill.

9. bigtexxx

indeed

10. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

I strongly feel that one of the 3 (Manziel, Bortles, Bridgewater) will drop low enough into the 1st round that we'll be able to trade up to get him.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If they dropped that low, it would be best to see if they'd keep on dropping. The Texans need all of their high draft picks this year.

12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I guess BOB likes smart lousy qbs (Fitzpatrick)

13. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

so true. i'm getting the impression (more of a wild guess really) that BOB was being honest when he said there's not much separation between the QBs this year. If so, we don't have much incentive to trade up just because one of those flashy name guys starts dropping. I know it sounds crazy, but i could even see us trading back a few spots in the 2nd round, accumulate an additional pick, and still pick up the QB we want.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I believe this was it:

Now texxx is trying to backpeddle by claiming her never said the Texans wouldn't take Teddy, just that they wouldn't take him #1 overall....

When in reality, he's actually been running around saying that...

So, in summation, you can take bigtexxx's opinion on Teddy Bridgewater, and flush it right down the crapper.

1 person likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely think you could be correct. It would REALLY piss off Bridgewater fans if he was available at 2-1 and the Texans traded back with someone who wanted him though.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That would be a good draft for the Texans! I hope it plays out like that.

17. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Having a Harvard degree makes him the best clipboard holder out there.

18. bigtexxx

actually that doesn't prove your point

19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Damn right. He can throw 20+ picks but his SAT score is the most important thing :grin:

20. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Tom Savage was invited to attend the NFL draft...pretty interesting. It means that there is a decent chance many expect him to go in the first round.