1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Dwight and Bev really mask this team's horrid defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ag3ntgandhi, Apr 11, 2014.

1. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

It's become painfully obvious that we currently have one, if not the, worst defense in the entire league. Time and time again this year we've seen terrible defensive effort, performance, scheme, whatever and it's never been fixed.

The question is, will Dwight and Bev be enough to cover that up? Notice I said "mask" our defense because it's clear that whatever we do on defense has some core, fundamental problems in both strategy and effort. It's truly pathetic, and there's a good chance it gets exposed in a bad way in the playoffs. Nobody wins in the playoffs with this sort of effort.

Sadly, it doesn't seem like the coaching staff cares about fixing it, it's far too late to have hope for that, so hopefully the addition of Dwight and Pat is enough to cover up our significant problems on that end of the floor.

2. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

Harden and Parsons literally carried us on offense tonight.

Parsons, 42 minutes, 11-19 fg, 27/7/7 and 4 steals.
    Harden, 46 minutes, 7-14 fg, 33/10/8 and 6 steals.

All we needed was someone we could put on Brewer to slow him down. No way Brewer is getting 51 on Beverley.

3. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Asking if 2 of the best defensive players at their respective positions can mask a terrible defense is a weird question. The answer should be yes. To me that's like asking, "Can adding Peyton Manning as our quarterback mask our terrible passing game?" It's really not a mask. Our defense gets better by adding 2 great defenders. Our defense looked terrific in 2014 until these guys went down, so have confidence that if they come back healthy it will improve, or "mask" our defense.

1 person likes this.
  4. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Obviously. The defense was top 10 most of the season

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

well they have done it before.. so yes, yes they can.

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

When are they back? Seems we need them to get HCA...

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Another vote for "they did it before" --

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As mentioned in the story this a.m., Rockets defense was ranked 9th before Beverley, Howard injuries; 23rd over 1st 7 games they missed.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/454782454801248256">April 12, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Can't expect to lose your two best defensive players and expect 0 effects on the team defense, especially when one player anchors the paint defense and the other anchors the perimeter defense.

It doesn't help that Jones and D-Mo are really poor defenders and you can't expect any them to anchor the paint defense.

9. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

This is like asking if Harden and Dwight can mask our offense

1 person likes this.
  10. ag3ntgandhi

ag3ntgandhi Rookie

Guys, I know they will both help a lot, but I just can't shake the feeling that there's just something fundamentally wrong with how we play defense, and I'm worried the playoffs will reveal that. Beverly is good, but Westbrook ripped him apart last time they met up. I just have a hard time seeing 4 wins in a series against another elite team with the way we play.

It's not even that we're missing our two best defenders over these past couple weeks, it's just a pathetic lack of effort as well, and effort is something that should always be there.

11. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Looks like you figured it out.

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Harden is a lazy bum. He's godly on offense. But his defense (oor lack thereof) is so embarrassing to watch.

13. clutz

clutz Member

Michael Jordan was pretty good at masking the Bulls' lack of championship contention in the '90s.

1 person likes this.
  14. Play07

Play07 Member

Your perimeter defender has to be at the 2-3, mainly 3... Bev will help with team D but parsons has to step up control guys like brewer tonight, but he's not about about that life

15. JazzLakerHater

I want to yes of course, but I'm beginning to think the departure of Kelvin Sampson is a much bigger deal than we thought it was.

16. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Does anybody think Sampson's exit has had an impact defensively? I know Morey keeps trying to minimize it, saying they'd developed defensive schemes for every team early in the season, but I don't know...

17. Nanisteru

Nanisteru Rookie

Dwight's presence would have definitely shut down all those easy layups.

18. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

A lot has to do with not having a true backup center, just like last year. It's worse right now, though, because at least last year they knew how to adjust (a little) when Asik went out. Plus Asik now isn't quite like Asik last year (close though).

19. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

This team, even without Bev and Dwight, should have won games pretty easily like tonight's game. Letting Brewer drop 50+ on us is inexcusable.

20. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

You just need to remember one simple fact.

McHale has no faith at all on Lin's D, he will switch everyone on D to help him and more than often will just put Parsons on opponent's PG once he will see any sign of Lin struggling.

Hence everybody will be just out of sync.

With Bev, this will not happen and he can sometime even help out Harden on D.