1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Favorite Free-to-play PC Game(s)?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ChankMcStank, Feb 12, 2014.

1. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

So, I've been browsing Steam's F2P category and downloaded Warframe and Loudout since I wanted to try some newer games.

Saw TotalBiscuit playing Warframe on his Youtube channel and decided to check it out. Not bad, but not good either. It reminded me of Borderlands and Mass Effect regarding the gameplay. I found Borderlands boring so it didn't really keep my attention. It's kinda like playing the dungeons over and over in Borderlands.

Moved over to Loudout and it was pretty entertaining. You can create your own guns and loudouts for them as well hence the name. Gameplay reminded me of old-school 90's Arena FPS type games with the multi-level platform jumping and fast-action gameplay. Has some cool modes like CTF, King of the Hill, and some other ones I can't remember. Graphics look like TF2 and just as bloody with the gore and violence (bodies get dismembered, blood is gushing out, and you have a giant hole in your torso if you get damaged enough). You don't auto-heal either so you have to get health-packs and ammoboxes throughout the maps so pretty old-school feel to it.

Everyone knows about League of Legends and DOTA 2 and I play them from time-to-time. Also, played Smite BETA but haven't played much after that.

Been playing Planet Side 2 and Tribes: Ascend since their BETA versions and found those enjoyable as well.

So, what are your favorite F2P PC games that you are playing or would refer to other people to play?

2. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Here's a Loudout gameplay video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6f1ZB-BToPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Warframe:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/5oLnBiBmo48" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Tribes:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_TzcustzlbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Planetside 2:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HBLBS3lSvRg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Smite:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CvfhnhpAb64" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. thisiscaketown

I really loved Mabinogi, but I quit because I was too addicted. Supposedly it's a lot easier for beginners to get into now.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

5. TheresTheDagger

WarThunder

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/HN_A2Mzac4k?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/HN_A2Mzac4k?hl=en_US&amp;version=3&amp;rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

6. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

What about compared to Torchlight?

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

Did anybody play battleforge when it was still up? was f2p.

8. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Yeah, played it back in '10.

9. FFz

FFz Member

I was pretty addicted to planetside 2 up til 2 weeks ago. Big massive battles and they fixed it up to be more compatible with ****tier computers now. Had to quit because it got to be too fun.

10. Raven

Raven Member

Everquest is free to play, everything SOE offers is free to play.

11. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Blasphemy

12. B

B Contributing Member

Path of Exile is a far deeper game than Torchlight. The ways you can customize your play style are insane, and the game is continually improving it's content.

13. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

14. ChankMcStank

ChankMcStank Member

Borderlands was a snoozefest. All the levels looked the same for crying out loud. It earned its Boredomland monicker...

15. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

Teamfortress 2 is still my favorite free to play as well, though I started playing when it was part of the Orange Box and not free to play. So many classes, and a high skill ceiling on all of them, combined with different game modes and load outs, and map variety to keep things fresh.

16. Svpernaut

Yup, I've been playing TF2 since beta, it is hard to believe i've been playing it for seven years! All of the classes are so varied with all of the maps and game styles, it never really gets old.

With that said, I spend a lot of my time on 2Fort instant-spawn servers for the total chaos. http://sourceop.gameme.com/playerinfo/104100

17. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

TF2 of course, but I'm going to suggest something else that may be a bit of surprise:

Pokemon Showdown

Basically, Pokemon at its highest levels is actually incredibly complicated. Showdown lets you just pick the Pokemon you want, the moves you want with a push of a button, and then you fight against other players. Bit of a learning curve however.

18. morpheus133

morpheus133 Member

19. Svpernaut

I'm not a fan of card games, but I am looking forward to the Heroes of the Storm MOBA from Blizzard.

I played the EA moba Dawngate in beta, and it is pretty terrible in comparison to the other MOBAs on the market.

20. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am so hooked on Puzzle and Dragon, good god.