1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

"If Cato is with this team next season, everything must have fallen apart"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vince, Jul 9, 2000.

1. vince

vince Member

Remember this quote from the Rocket front office.

Ha ha!!!

Funny thing is everyone is saying stay catoman stay, he is working hard. Cato can't work hard he is a cluts, not clutch. Did your eye's lie to you all of last season. The man just sucks.

The smoke screen isn't working and the Rockets made a huge mistake. They went fishing with cato and none of the fish bit because they just don't like the taste of no good center with a big shinning hook sticking out of them.

Cato sucks and the Rockets want him out of their uniforms but, our genius coach just can't get the job done. If he was so good, would cato have started over Pig Miller every game, yes but our piggy got starts over cato. No great hope on cato's side.

If cato is with the Rockets at the start of next season, everything must have fallen apart. Remember that line. Because don't let the smoke screen fool you. Ha ha "Cato is working hard every day and going to be great" What a bunch of crap!

------------------

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If Cato could get 8.4 rpg, he is the center of the future.

His helping defense is good, but could use a little more consistency. Man to man defense showed a great leap from his Portland days when he had trouble at the 5. I think his learning not to foul is the reason he was out of some games. Back at Iowa State, he never was the puppy I saw this year, always foaming. Rudy, the bertseker mad dog for 20 min is better than a big puppy for 40.

If Collier can bring some firepower at the 4, Cato only needs to work on his shooting and dunking. Screw the footwork and post moves as they would only have minimal scoring oppurtunities.

Now, I am all for a thread called "If Walt is with this team next season, everything must have fallen apart". Yes those are big ifs, but I would say there is a good chance for them to partially come through.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

3. alaskansnowman

I think Cato didnt start b/c he didnt feel comfortable starting. That's all.

I really hope your wrong Vince.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

4. Special Patrol Group

From whom in the Rockets front office did that quote come? I've seen similar statements made on these boards, but don't remember it ever being attributed to anyone associated with the team. Could be wrong though.

5. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Member

If the Rockets find some thing Cheaper than Cato to do a better job let me know.

Some thing people seem to forget is that a decent or mediocre Center is hard to come by & their aint many 5's out there expecting small contracts to begin with.

& If Cato sucked so bad wouldn't you have kept Big Joel???? Wouldn't you??? Huh.........I mean you had your replacement right there & pissed it away?????

Oh yea some jerk off is going to say what about roster space. Just remember that the Rockets made mistakes in the past like Maloney & if it where that bad they can cut him & eat his contract.
    That will not happen because they don't think its that bad. If they did they would have kept Joel!!!!

------------------

6. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

The article I read about him working out the off season came from CD.

He played better at Iowa State then he did last year, he has said he wasn't in shape to play last year. He didn't work in the off season at Portland as he knew he won't get over 10 minutes a game, and wasn't in shape but would be this year. So since there are so many quality big men out there lets not give this one a chance, and go get one with the amount we have under the cap..

>>Cato sucks and the Rockets want him out of their uniforms but, our genius coach just can't get the job done. <<

That genius has won us two championships with his coaching, and if you are againest giving Cato a chance to play in shape, then you should apply the same quick judgement to everything you do...

------------------

[This message has been edited by E.J. Tucker (edited July 09, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by E.J. Tucker (edited July 09, 2000).]

7. sid

sid Member

I thought that particular quote was by Popeye or Doc Rocket when they were trying to give us a scoop on what the Rockets plans were this offseason. But I could be wrong, it has been known to happen on occasion! [​IMG]

------------------

8. IndianPlaya

IndianPlaya Contributing Member

Cato isnt that bad, he gives good defense, and he is one of the only centers that is able to guard Shaq. After all the hard work he is putting in this summer, he is going to be a good contributor next year.

------------------

9. MManal

MManal Member

The Rockets should only trade Cato if they get a blockbuster offer imho. If they get offered a stud front court player or potential stud ie. Marcus Fizer, then I think they should move Cato and try to fill his shot blocking ability with some other acquisition. However, I am very much against just dumping Cato for a mediocre player or something along those lines to clear salary.

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

10. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Kelvin Cato
    Year FG% FT% RPG PPG BPG MPG
    98/99 45.0 50.7 3.5 3.5 1.3 12.7
    99/00 53.7 64.9 6.0 8.7 1.9 24.3

Well, his minutes definitely increased, and so did his production - but most importantly his FG% is up and FT% is up.
    If he's fit enough to play significant minutes this season then I'd be expecting him to put up fairly decent numbers.

------------------

12. vince

vince Member

Are you all BLIND!!!!!! [​IMG]

Cato showed no emotion when he played. He only played when he wanted to. And that for a matter of fact was not too often.

Defense? come on, you guys know nothing about basketball. CATO has nooooo defense.

Okay, all those block shots kept all the driving lanes close, what a joke. A Joke!!!! Cato's best show was the preseason. And you don't earn your paycheck in the preseason. Oh, unless your Kelvin Cato [​IMG]

Cato Sucks plain and simple!!!

------------------

13. alaskansnowman

Quit hatin on Cato Vince.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I hear CD say that Cato had worked out with the conditioning coach (Tony Falcone) and there is a definite change in his physique.

Since that is something readily provable, why would CD make it up?

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself like an adult

The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood!
    All will be assimilated.

15. vince

vince Member

Mango, with all due respect. Which reminds me I've got a mango in the fridge!!!! Dude you always make me hungry for Mango's.

Back to the Rebutal, keep it a secret CD is trying to get the league to beleive Cato is a premier player. But keep it a secret!!!!!

------------------

16. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Vince,

Before another team would trade for the "new and improved" Cato, he probably would take a physical and they would also be advised to have an off-the-record look at him to see if there is a difference as CD claimed. If the other teams are so much smarter than Rockets management, they would surely do that.

Mango

------------------
    1. Put new topics in the proper forum
    2. Use clear wording for new threads
    3. No duplicate threads
    4. Conduct yourself like an adult

The Serious Police are watching

Donate Blood!
    All will be assimilated.

[This message has been edited by Mango (edited July 09, 2000).]

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

If the Rockets managment want Cato gone so badly then why the hell did they give up their draft pick which would've netted them a center who has good "potential" - is it because Cato has more "potential" than most of the young centers running around??

I think the Rockets management knows more about the Cato situation than you do vince.

Plus you just ignore the fact that he was just plain out of shape last year - you seem to be the self professed expert on the game of basketball, surely you'd understand that being unfit would result in a lack of contribution? Hey it might even make you look like you just don't care - I know at times Hakeem looked like he didn't care, is it because he didn't care or is it because he couldn't breathe?

------------------

18. Miggidy Markell

Good point Doctor. And Vince palease!!!!!!!! Cato's contract is nuthing. Or would you prefer Greg Ostertag or Bryant Reeves?

------------------
    I'm tha hip hop attracta, rapper slash acta, right back at cha!

19. CompaqC

CompaqC Member

Well, like it or not Vince, Cato's staying in Houston this year. that's the main reason they traded Joel in the first place. SO EAT YOUR HEART OUT!!! [​IMG]

------------------
    Ostertag for Three!!!!!

20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Or Jim McIlvaine ??

------------------