1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA future power rankings (insider espn)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by peleincubus, Mar 3, 2010.

1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

would anyone be generous enough to post this article. curious to see where the rockets are at. im thinking the thunder will be in the top 3 im guessing.

2. qetwr111

qetwr111 Member

I found the top 5 posted on another forum. Sorry, I don't have access to the whole article.

1. OKC
    2. LAL
    3. ORL
    4. MIA (eh???)
    5. POR

3. Kimble14

Kimble14 Contributing Member

It's on 6 pages with bunches of nested tables, so I won't do a full copy/paste. Here's what they say about the Rockets:

10. Houston Rockets | Future Power Rating: 567

PLAYERS 176/400 (19th)
    MANAGEMENT 168/200 (2nd)
    MONEY 87/200 (18th)
    MARKET 62/100 (10th)
    DRAFT 74/100 (5th)

Even though the team has struggled on the court, the Rockets moved up from 13th to 10th in our latest rankings largely because of a clever trade that landed both sharpshooting guard Kevin Martin and at least one first-round pick from the Knicks. Adding Martin improved the ranking of the Rockets' players from 26th to 19th, even though the deal also cost them productive forward Carl Landry. Meanwhile, the picks they got in that deal move the Rockets' draft rating all the way up to fifth -- if the Knicks falter in free agency in the summer, Houston could end up with two very high picks in 2011 and 2012 in addition to their own 2012 pick.

And really, this was to be expected: We already had ranked Houston second in management, and that's where they land once again, as they've checked all the boxes from top to bottom. Owner Les Alexander is willing to spend for a winner, GM Daryl Morey and his stat-savvy team have crafted several smart deals, and coach Rick Adelman remains among the game's best.

The biggest issues going forward are uncertainty about Yao Ming's potential return and a less advantageous salary-cap position.

(Previous rank: 13)

Full ranking, along with the rankings in each category:

Code:
    [U]RANK	TOTAL	|	PLAY	MGMT	MONEY	MARKET	DRAFT[/U]
    1	OKC	|	Orl	SA	NY	LAL	NJ
    2	LAL	|	LAL	[B]Hou[/B]	Mia	Mia	Min
    3	Orl	|	Cle	OKC	Chi	Orl	Sac
    4	Mia	|	OKC	Por	NJ	NY	Ind
    5	Por	|	Por	LAL	LAC	Dal	[B]Hou[/B]
    6	Uta	|	Den	Uta	Sac	Phx	Was
    7	Den	|	Atl	Dal	Was	Chi	GS
    8	Cle	|	Uta	Orl	OKC	Bos	Det
    9	Chi	|	Mia	Den	Min	SA	Phi
    [U]10	[B]Hou[/B]	|	Chi	Bos	Ind	[B]Hou[/B]	Uta  [/U]
    11	Dal	|	Mem	Det	SA	LAC	Mem
    12	SA	|	NO	Mia	Bos	Den	OKC
    13	Atl	|	Tor	NY	Dal	Por	Mia
    14	LAC	|	Dal	Mil	Atl	Cle	Mil
    15	Bos	|	LAC	Cle	LAL	NJ	LAC
    16	NY	|	Phi	Tor	Tor	Atl	NO
    17	Tor	|	Mil	Chi	Por	Was	Chi
    18	NJ	|	GS	Ind	[B]Hou[/B]	Tor	Por
    19	Sac	|	[B]Hou[/B]	Phi	Mil	Det	Cha
    [U]20	Det	|	Sac	Atl	Mem	Uta	SA   [/U]
    21	Mil	|	Bos	NJ	Cle	OKC	Atl
    22	Phi	|	SA	Phx	Phx	Phi	Tor
    23	Mem	|	Det	NO	GS	Ind	Phx
    24	NO	|	Phx	Sac	Det	NO	Bos
    25	Phx	|	Min	LAC	Den	GS	Orl
    26	Ind	|	NJ	Mem	Uta	Mil	Den
    27	Min	|	NY	Min	Orl	Cha	Dal
    28	GS	|	Ind	Was	Phi	Sac	Cle
    29	Was	|	Cha	Cha	NO	Min	LAL
    30	Cha	|	Was	GS	Cha	Mem	NY
    (edited to add category descriptions)

PLAYERS (0 to 400 points): Current players and their potential for the future, factoring in expected departures
    MANAGEMENT (0 to 200 points): Quality and stability of front office, ownership, coaching
    MONEY (0 to 200 points): Projected salary-cap situation; ability and willingness to exceed cap and pay luxury tax
    MARKET (0 to 100 points): Appeal to future acquisitions based on team quality, franchise reputation, city's desirability as a destination, market size, taxes, business and entertainment opportunities, arena quality, fans
    DRAFT (0 to 100 points): Future draft picks; draft positioning

#3 Kimble14, Mar 3, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  4. BrooksBall

BrooksBall Contributing Member

I wonder how they determine the rank for the "Players" category. Bos, SA and Phx are all in the bottom tier. I'm guessing that age and potential are factors.

And, yea, OKC is sitting pretty based on this set of critera. Their only area of weakness is "Market."

5. Steve_Francis_rules

In what universe is San Antonio a superior market to Houston? Houston is the larger city and a lot of players like spending the off season there.

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

Interesting. Thanks for sharing with us, Kimble14.

Shouldn't New York have the potential of being #1 in this list?

and was Charlotte's place in this ranking affected by Jordan's purchase?

7. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Miami and Chicago shouldn't be that high. Especially CHicago. Who, have a ****ty mgmt, ****ty players, a ****ty city. Only thing they have is money. And if thats so important, NY should be #1.

8. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

If the Rockets are 2nd in management, who is 1st?

9. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Please return to reality.

10. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

Who does Cleveland have besides LeBron...Antwan gets payed til he's like 37 or something..and Shaq is done in a year..but their players rating is just so good!
    Clevelands future is about as bright as their city is..dull like a piece of clay. I could write this insider poop and get paid too.

When those 3 dissappear Mo Williams can start scoring 25 ppg on a 20 win season team. Big numbers yo! Get money!

11. Steve_Francis_rules

I'm pretty sure you could say the same thing about any team in the league; take away three of their four best players and they're a garbage team that wouldn't win more than 20 games.

12. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

You could say what you just said about any team, but what I said was about the Cavs. Not all other teams don't have old farts that are diminishing and a superstar that might leave next season

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

What are you talking about? A lot of the other teams have:

a) old superstars/stars
    b) superstars who might leave next season

A includes the Spurs (duncan, gino,richardson), the Mavs (Kidd), Toronto(Turkoglu), Phoenix (Nash), the Lakers (Kobe is breaking down), Magic (Carter) and the Celtics (Big 3)

B has Miami, PHX, Toronto, Spurs, Cavs, basically ever team that has a FA next year.

The Cavs are really bad, but as long as they can keep Lebron then its all good, they're a decent franchise. Sure the GM is inept, but LBJ can work with whatever overpaid trash he brings in. And the owner is not a cheapskate either, he's willing to spend a lot of money. Shaq's expiring next year, if they can keep LBJ I'd say they're golden for the next couple of years.

14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

shaq isnt star status anymore and Jamison is going to fade
    The spurs still have youth, so do the suns, and the lakers, and the magic..the Celtics are gonna drop though. I'd say the Cavs are in it worst -player-wise in the future, which was what I was initially talking about. Just having Lebron doesn't make your team win championships, just makes you get raped in the Finals after plowing through half ass East Conf teams

durr reading comprehension durrr

15. thething

thething Contributing Member

Why is Phoenix so high on the market rating? Why would anyone want to play in the desert?

16. Steve_Francis_rules

I guess because it's warm during the winter and you could live somewhere else during the summer.

17. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

After reading this thread, I'm convinced people will **** on any city in the world. Chicago and Phoenix are two of the most enjoyable places I've ever been. Would I want to live in Chicago during the winter, HELLLLL NO, but to call it a bad city is LOLstupid.

You can criticize any city in the NBA for certain things. You can make one problem that you particularly hate sound like the absolute worst thing. Heaven forbid someone else not have the same taste as you!