1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ranking Teams By Tiers (ESPN)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by jman7373, Aug 27, 2014.

1. jman7373

jman7373 Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/11417448/cleveland-cavaliers-enter-season-team-most-likely-win-nba-title-nba

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm fine with the results.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Sounds about right, 4th in the West.

Much different than 8th seed, lol.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

looks like another matchup with the blazers lol. great.

5. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

They're saying we will be 5th and will be matched with GS who are 4th

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

My heart can't take another series like that...

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

Slightly surprised that the Bulls are so high.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

That is a pretty good result considering it is all based on projections. One would imagine that our unknown parts are capable of more than a low projection would give them. And if we make a move that adds a rotation player, all the more improved.

I think we are still 4th in the West (worst case).

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Should flip Clippers and Thunder...Thunder have had way more playoff success

10. rhino17

rhino17 Member

they aren't improving at all, and they haven't since they traded james. The Clippers have way more room to improve

11. what

what Member

The clippers haven't gotten out of the second round in how many years? The Bulls are overrated along with Noah. The rockets and the trailblazers are overrated as well.

I'd take OKC to beat any team on that list except the spurs. Of course the grizzlies are underrated because they don't have star power.

My list would be:
    1. Spurs
    2. OKC
    3. Memphis
    4. Cavs
    5. Pelicans

I think the pelicans are going to make some noise next year and probably get to at least the 2nd round of the playoffs, in a 4/5 battle with the clippers.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I'm fine with our placement. We definitely have a lot of work to do and things to prove. Like Morey said, he expects us to be a much better team by playoff time and I believe we will be. I like how we are shifting our mindset and balance more defensively with our signings of Ariza, Dorsey and Adrien and adding guys like Johnson. If Harden brings USA defensive intensity this season, we should have a top 5 defense with a top 5 offense to match.

Personally, I think the Bulls and Blazers are ranked too high.

The feel good story of the NBA will be the return of Rose but ESPN is treating it like Rose is going to be 100% back to normal and even better than he was in his MVP season. I just don't see that happening but will be happy for Rose if it does. I do like the addition on Gasol and if Mirotic is as good as advertised then great but I think they should have been ranked in the second teir.

Portland is getting way too much love from ESPN. Does ESPN really think the additions of Blake and Kaman will propel the Blazers to being in the second tier? It's not like Portland brought players in to solve their biggest problem i.e. defense. Portland had a great year last year, yes but it was also very lucky. Only LMA missed time and even then they only had 2 different starting lineups the whole season. Will that ever happen again?

13. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

It's a little hard to see, but this is the projected order

1. Clips
    2. Spurs
    3. OKC
    4. GSW
    5. Hou
    6. Port
    7. Dal
    8. Mem

14. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

I know you're a big Memphis fan but do you really think they will be the third best team? Memphis is a great team, no doubt but they're not a top 5 team even with how underrated they are and will be. I can see Memphis as a 6th seed.

The Pelicans as a top 5 team, too? No offense, but that must be a joke. I will admit that a Asik/Davis frontcourt scares the crap out of me and that team can beat any team in the league with the talent of Davis, Evans, and Holliday but they won't be a top 5 team? They are an injure to Davis away from being a subpar team. They will fight for the 8th seed out West, but fall short at the end.

15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

L
    M
    F
    A
    O

16. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

It's hilarious how overrated the bulls are!

17. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

The bulls are getting way to much love, Derrick rose is a very good player but that lucky MVP he won 4 years ago is clouding ppl judgment in his return. Do ppl not remember the yr he had after his MVP yr? It was good but not great I expect him to not even be a 20 ppg scorer this yr.

I also just for some reason don't see te clippers as being a real title contender. I think they can win 60 games but I'm just not sold on Chris Paul/ Blake griffin pair. First off I'm never gonna call any team with it's best player being a pg a true title contender till they prove me wrong. PGs just don't win rings. I honestly think the rockets are going to win a lot more games then people think. We won't get out to such a rough start this yr like last.

No twin tower experiment this yr.

18. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

feel like the nets are being under appreciated.

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

They lost two of their biggest playmakers in Pierce and Livingston, Garnett is a walking corpse, and they are one Lopez injury from mediocrity.

I'd bet on them not even making the playoffs.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I can't believe no one has mentioned that first paragraph.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

The rockets winning back to back get no damn credit.