1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. the shark

the shark Member

"The defense should be among the best in school history"?

You obviously never saw the UH defenses of the 70's.

2. Mattj

Mattj Member

Well no, I was born in 1977 so….

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Not quite Maryland but...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>In honor of game at BYU Thursday on 9/11, the Cougars will wear UH helmet decals with the American flag. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoCoogs?src=hash">#GoCoogs</a> <a href="http://t.co/c8DNAeLGRS">pic.twitter.com/c8DNAeLGRS</a></p>&mdash; Houston Football (@UHCougarFB) <a href="https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/509379031993966592">September 9, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. solid

solid Contributing Member

After what BYU did to Texas, on my, the UH game could be ugly.

5. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

So what's the excuse for UH not being in the Big XII?

1 person likes this.
  6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Really like what I saw from O'Korn and the 3rd ward D in the BYU game! Perhaps this year won't be as painful as I thought

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

They already have houston eyeballs.

Although, I thought I remember reading that UH got high ratings on espn a few times.

8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

UH ratings have been terrible the past 3 years. The fact that Levine has destroyed this program is another reason he should be fired.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

From 2006-2011 we did progressively better on TV, but like turbo said, the last three years, especially last year, have been dogvomit for ratings.

10. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

The ratings for the UTSA game were 0.1 221,000 viewers were estimated for that game which is pretty much why the UNLV is on ESPN3.

11. ShutURBiG!

ShutURBiG! Contributing Member

Destroyed? UH has got some of the best recruits and transfers it's had in a while because of him:

Deontay Greenberry
    John O'Korn
    Markeith Ambles
    Gavin Stansbury
    Ben Hicks

Just to name a few...

12. MystikArkitect

And he's doing wonders with them. Wonders.

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Carrying this over from the other thread.

-What's the budget? :p

-Want an 'up and comer' or 'established' head coach?

-Want an 'offensive' guy or 'defensive' guy?

-I don't think it's SMU dead but how attractive is the job? Obviously got the new stadium and what not but...I don't know if you're gonna pull a guy(even a coordinator) from one of the 'Power 5' conferences.

Most of these guys are long shots:

Mark Hudspeth(LA-Lafayette HC)
    Jake Spavital(Texas A&M OC)
    Rhett Lashlee(Auburn OC)
    Jeremy Pruitt(Georgia DC)
    Mike Norvell(Arizona State OC)
    Scott Frost(Oregon OC)
    Tim DeRuyter(Fresno State HC)
    Tom Herman(Ohio State OC)
    Pat Narduzzi(Michigan State DC)
    Josh Heupel/Jay Norvell(Oklahoma OCs)
    Sonny Cumbie(TCU Co-OC)
    Philip Montgomery(Baylor OC)
    Chad Morris(Clemson OC)
    Lincoln Riley(ECU OC)

If for whatever reason they're fired:
    Dana Holgorsen
    Larry Fedora

Assessing the head coaching hires of 2012

#1273 J.R., Oct 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  14. Poloshirtbandit

I'm fine with us being a stepping stone job for the next up and coming coordinator every four or five years if they can have us in contention for a conference championship every year. Could care less about loyalty at this point. Just win.

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

16. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Chad Morris is at the top of my list. I just hope we get someone who knows the Texas area well.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Short SI story about Kevin Kolb [vacation and concussions]

On Sept. 14, 2014, Kevin Kolb was vacationing in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico, when Hurricane Odile came straight at the Hilton where he, his wife, Whitney, and friends were staying. Here are the former quarterback’s thoughts on the experience, as recounted to SI’s Andrew Perloff, and how it relates to his adjustment to life after football.

Kevin Kolb Battles the Storms, Outside and In

We decided to go to Cabo because this was the first summer I hadn’t been in some form of training camp since I was a little kid. My dad was a coach, and football had always dominated my life.

I miss playing, but at first the hardest part was not having the routine. It was such a central part of how I’ve lived my life. But all that was shattered when I suffered my last concussion on my 29th birthday, in a preseason game for the Bills on Aug. 24, 2013.

My first concussion came right after I took over as the Eagles’ starter, on opening day in 2010, on a Clay Matthews sack. I suffered two more concussions and a very serious rib injury when I was with Arizona in 2012.

The thing about the last concussion, with Buffalo … I didn’t think it could possibly be serious. The Redskins defender just ran by me at the end of a routine scramble and caught my helmet with his knee. I went numb from my neck down for about three seconds, but I stayed in the game. I didn’t know what it was or how serious it would turn out to be. It couldn’t be happening again.

But when I got to the sideline and the adrenaline wore off, I knew. The symptoms came rushing in, the pain, the noise, the queasiness. I had taken every possible step to fend off concussion—a new helmet, staying in the best shape possible, trying to play smart. None of it mattered. I went into the locker room and called my wife. She said, you can be a tough guy and try to keep on playing … but that was it. I knew God had a plan for me, and playing football wasn’t part of it anymore.

With concussions, sometimes you don’t know what is a symptom and what is not. But some symptoms are impossible to ignore. The ringing is like someone shooting a shotgun right next to my ear, every second of every day. It doesn’t go away.

The sensitivity to light also has a profound impact. I’ll be in a business meeting indoors and have to politely ask to put on my sunglasses before the headaches and double vision start.

But I can deal with those symptoms. The short-term memory loss is more difficult. Sometimes I don’t know if I’m just busy with a very full schedule and that’s why I can’t remember everything, or if it’s a concussion symptom.
    Even with these issues, which I know I will have my whole life, I can truly say my life after football doesn’t feel incomplete. That starts with my relationship with God. I believe there’s a purpose to everything that has happened to me. And I’ve gotten ample evidence of that throughout the course of the first year in my life without football. Just when things could have gotten tough, I had to dig deep and ask, OK, where is He taking me now? So many good things have happened to me, it’s impossible for me not to think I’m taken care of.

I love to fish, hunt and play golf. When I retired I thought I’d be in paradise since I could do those activities every day. You quickly realize that’s not paradise.

But even when I was playing I started investing in and studying energy resources. A good friend and I started a company called MK Transfer. We supply piping and mechanisms for water-displacement mining. It has quickly developed into a very full-time job, and we’re growing fast. Of course, the business world is different from the football field, but it allows me to scratch that competitive itch that never goes away.

On a day-to-day basis, I have to respect the concussion symptoms. That means getting a good night’s sleep every night. If I don’t get a good night’s rest, I feel the impact the next day. These are challenges, but they’re ones I can always handle if my head and my heart are in the right place.

On a personal note, it was another example of the power of faith in my life. I may not be playing football, but I have my family, I’m doing something I love, and I know deep in my heart that I’m taken care of, no matter how strong the storm is outside.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Interesting article that I'm sure UH Athletics doesn't want public to read. They botched the stadium project. <a href="http://t.co/O4PPIYfDoB">http://t.co/O4PPIYfDoB</a></p>&mdash; Matt Jackson (@MJ4Sports) <a href="https://twitter.com/MJ4Sports/status/530023518759817216">November 5, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. Poloshirtbandit

Weather is looking pretty bad for Saturday. :(

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Rumor mill?

John O'Korn transferring to FAU.

Bob Stitt tops list of candidates to replace Levine.

Someone stop the insanity.