1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PlayStation 4 Thread

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Swishh, Jun 15, 2013.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bloodborne has been awesome, except for one thing.

The checkpoints and save marks, it's absolutely criminal how few and far between they are. I can put in a really good hour of hard work and progress, and no checkpoint. Get caught in a corner or a glitch combo hit by a enemy and boom the whole hour of progress is completely lost. What the **** is that!?

I'm literally starting to just run through everything, ducking and rolling past all the enemies to the boss show down, which I can't beat.

2. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

You need to explore more. Before just about every boss battle ive been through so far I've found a shortcut I could open that would stay open when I died and respawned which makes getting to the boss much easier. It may be a hidden path or a door or a gate you can open.

3. AtheistPreacher

AtheistPreacher Contributing Member

Yeah, I feel like the lamps get more frequent later on, but especially for that first one what you're really looking for is shortcuts. There are like five or six shortcuts to unlock back to that first lamp. Those shortcuts are almost as good as lamps because they do pretty much the same thing... allow you to skip a whole bunch of enemies on your way to a new location.

But I sympathize. Like I said, I ended up starting the game over after a couple of hours to grab a new starting weapon. That's how tough of a time I was having. Now I'm in end game and it's all clicked for me.

4. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If you want to keep your npc's alive...read some faqs or the wiki on this game. Going through my third restart because I keep accidentally killing them off. I'll make my selections before I research if my decision keeps them alive or kills them. Sigh. :(

5. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

My copy of Bloodborne should be showing up tomorrow. Kinda looking forward to it, but I'm usually not one of those who goes for "break you controller" difficulty in my games, so I'm torn. Any assistance would probably be helpful.

6. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If any of you guys need help, add me on psn = leehom. I have a level 15 and 38.

7. AtheistPreacher

Here are a couple of starting things to read:

http://nerdist.com/a-bloodborne-starter-guide-for-fresh-hunters/
    http://www.gamereactor.eu/articles/302274/Surviving+Bloodborne:+Beginner's+Guide/

I'm sure if you have specific questions or troubles someone will be able to help you. I'm hanging around at the end of the game mopping up a few loose ends before starting NG+ myself, so provided I remember to keep checking the thread, I should be able to help you out...

8. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

just beat amelia

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Theres a guy who beat it in 44 minutes. If you need more assistance let me know. 420 friendly

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anybody else sync their Spotify account with the PS4 after yesterday's update?

11. AtheistPreacher

12. marky :)

marky :) Member

Oh nice. I didn't even know you could do that. Going to try that tonight. Hopefully it syncs the playlists and not just do Spotify Radio.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Just connected my Spotify account last night.

It is better to connect it via your phone so you can control what is playing while you're in game via phone instead of the actual app.

Awesome new feature.

14. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Yeah I watched the video and didn't really think too much about it. Then I got it and tried it out. Yeah, that is crazy. Of course it helps when you dupe yourself to crazy stats, but still a lot of work went it to making it. I shut it off at the very end though to keep from getting spoilered, but I heard there's a few endings so I hope there's a "good" ending for beating everything he skipped.

As for the offers for assistance in the thread I appreciate it. Just add me (Gunslinger057) and feel free to drop me a line. I don't have any insight so I can't ring the bell to let people in to my game, but if there's a way around that I'd be more than happy to co-op with anyone willing to help a noob out. I never even played either of the Souls games so I'm literally brand new to these types of games.

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Just got GTA, hopefully it lives up to the hype for me

16. Disciple of RP

Disciple of RP Contributing Member

Oh, it will.

1 person likes this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

How's BB compared to a game like Dark Souls?

18. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Just bumping this for Bloodborne...

I'm playing it a bit more recently, though still trying to finish Pillars of Eternity as well. Really enjoying it still. Definitely a few minor nitpicks (mostly all "fixable" via a patch or two), but I love some of the advances/tweaks they made to the Souls formula.

It has sold over 1M units worldwide, and was the 2nd best seller last month in the US. Along with the ~2.5M copies Dark Souls 2 has sold, we'll definitely be getting more and more games like this I think. :)

Hopefully the team doesn't get burned out, and they can keep the quality of these games pretty high (just maybe with bigger budgets if desired).

19. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Picked up MLB 15 the show last week. Was super pumped because I was never able to play it last Gen (was on Xbox) but after playing it its been a disappointment. It wouldn't load the first time I played it (huge buzz kill) and when I finally got it working I got bored. Am I missing something here? Is there a game mode I should focus on or start?

20. AtheistPreacher

I finished it a few weeks ago. The "story mode" (i.e. non-Chalice dungeon stuff) took me about 35 hours. Then I did all the non-randomized Chalice dungeons, which took me another 20 hours. I started New Game+ and killed the first two bosses (mostly to see how hard it would be) and then gave it a rest for other things. I haven't decided if I want to pick it back up again soon.

Now that I've played through the whole game, I've got four very specific pieces of advice for those interested (very minor spoilers):

1. Do Chalice dungeons ranked "Depth 1" and "Depth 2" before end game, otherwise they'll be stupidly easy. You get the first chalice from the Blood-Starved Beast boss, and you get the other low-rank chalices from doing that one.

2. In order to fight the "real" end boss, you need to get three items called "One Third of the Unbilical Cord" and then eat them (ewww) before the penultimate boss fight in the Hunter's Dream. There are four available (don't ask me why there are four items that are each "one third" of something), and two are missable. If you don't want to miss the final encounter, Google their locations so you get at least one of the missable pieces.

3. There are certain items that you can only get from the NPC "Eileen the Crow" if you complete her questline. However, you'll almost certainly miss a step if you don't know what to do beforehand. Again, if you don't want to miss out, Google it.

4. When you get to a balcony with an old bishop in a rocking chair on it, you're supposed to jump into the water to fight a boss. Took me forever to figure that out.

Overall, I really liked it. Besides the sometimes long load times, perhaps the only drawback is that there just isn't nearly as much cool equipment to find as there was in the Souls games. I always liked finding shiny new things to use, but besides the dozen-or-so weapons and some runes (which act like the rings from Souls), there just isn't anything to get. Most noticeable of all is the lack of any meaningful armor upgrades. The lack of equip burden means that armor sets have stats that are merely different (some with better physical defense, others with better arcane defense, etc.) but no clear upgrades... which led to me using only a single armor set for the entire game. Boo on that (FWIW, I also used the Hunter Axe for the entire game, but I can't complain too much about that, since all the weapons can work well depending on your play style, and most of them are very different).

The combat, though, is as good or better as it's ever been. The removal of shields, the lack of heavy armor, the lack of viable ranged builds, and the inclusion of the new health regain system forces the player into a style that is faster and ultimately more interesting than the ol' sword and board. I was a big abuser of Havel's Shield in Dark Souls, as well as cheap ranged magic builds. But there's just no such thing as tanking or pure spellcasting anymore. You actually have to win with skill instead. This is addition by subtraction, gameplay-wise.

The inclusion of the randomized Chalice dungeons also means that you can always take on a new randomized area. This is a welcome inclusion, although the lack of any meaningful treasure means that you'd be playing simply for the challenge itself rather than any tangible rewards.

Also, I think I had mentioned it already in a previous post, but the world design is really really good. Much better than what we saw in Dark Souls 2, although whether it beats the original Dark Souls in that aspect is up for debate.

I'm sure From will keep making these since people keep buying them. I suppose the question is whether other companies will start trying to grab a piece of this action, and/or doing littler things in their games to try and grab the Souls crowd.

Right now I've actually been sucked back into Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate... a game which a lot of Souls fans will like, I think. I've already logged over 200 hours in it since the mid-February release. Only downside is that it's only on 3DS... I really wish they would release it on a home console, but it looks like that's never going to happen, at least not with this particular one.