1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Traffic violations: how to get out of them?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tierre_brown, Dec 28, 2003.

1. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I just got a speeding ticket on the beltway (I'm paying to speed, dammit, get the cops off the road!), and I really cannot afford to have my insurance premiums go up. Usually, I would take defensive driving, but I got ticketed on a gay rolling through a stop sign offense about 9 months ago, and I took defensive driving to dismiss that. Are there any other alternatives to dismiss the ticket, or am I just going to have to take the hit and pay the fine and have my insurance go up?

PS- If there are any criminal lawyers out there on the BBS, please drop me an e-mail, just had a quick legal question as well.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You can take defensive driving again. Go for defered adjudication, and a 2nd round of defensive driving.

Of course if you get a ticket during the 6 month probationary period both tickets will go on your record.

DD

3. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

call and change the court date a bunch of times.... Cops usually don't keep up with that kinda stuff after the first few times.

Then when you show up, contest it. If he aint there, you get off... if he is there, then just take deferred ajudication like DD said.

4. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Ok, I got a question:

I had a ticket a few months ago (Houston), and couldn't immediately pay the deferred adjudication. The court date for trial by judge is now set for January 16.

Due to the drive-thru nature of the court, I was left kind of clueless about what to do now. The judge said that if I went the d.a. route I would have to also take defensive driving, but is that even an option anymore? And if so, do I have to have it completed by the court date?

Thanks in advance.

5. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

If you're not gonna contest, then yes, go DA. The court date is the deadline for you to show up to a judge (some places will let you call in) and ask for DA. It's not when you have to have all that stuff completed.... Once you ask for DA, the court will send you a packet of papers with deadlines and forms you have to fill out, etc.

But just to be sure, you can always call the court clerks and ask.