1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade Deadline Random Trade Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thumbs, Jan 23, 2008.

1. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Now that the "Trade (T-Mc) Winds" have died down, we need to settle into a tweaking trade mode, i.e., the exchange of role players, prospects, trade exceptions and draft choices. The emphasis here really shouldn't be on the proposal of blockbuster trades but rather who can we get that will help us over the hump.

I still say we should acquire Gerald Green and flotsam from Minneapolis for Kirk Snyder. We get to look at Green at SG before his $1.4M contract expires, and, if we like him, we have the best chance of keeping him. The Wolves also get to look at Snyder for the rest of the year. If they don't like what they see, they let his contract expire and get almost $3M off the books. If they do, they take the team option and pay him $3.3M for the coming season. It's a win-win situation for both teams and players who aren't getting much time on their current teams.

#1 thumbs, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sounds good.

DD

3. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Snyder + James for a future draft pick sounds better. We already have enough talent and they're showing improvement.

4. thumbs

It might, except that a draft pick has no currency value and the two players you mentioned have about $6M or so in annual salary that needs to go for an expiring -- not many takers that I see.

5. dram1

dram1 Member

You can't trade picks for players. Picks are thrown in deals or may the real value of a trade, but players from both sides have to be involve. Usually bad contracts are traded for bad contracts. That's what MJs contract is right now...a bad one, and that's all we'll get if we trade him.

6. prv1981

prv1981 Contributing Member

Mike James, Kirk Snyder, Steve Francis, Luther Head and 2nd round pick to the Kings for Mike Bibby. I would like to see the Rox make this move because it will alleviate the clutter in the backcourt and will get them a player that has only has one year left on his contract. Not to mention the fact that he is very familiar with RA offense.

I think that Sacramento might make this move because they are looking to cut payroll and start rebuilding. MJ and LH will help make up for the loss of shooting. SF and KS are two contracts that are going to be off the books next year.

Your thoughts please....

7. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

yes except for Head. Head alone has more value these days than Bibby.

8. thumbs

Why would Sacramento do that? Trading Bibby will land the King's at least one starter and a first round pick IMO.

9. thumbs

Head is always of value. Unfortunately, Luther is not. ;)

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I'm not a fan of Head. He was not really known as a pure shooter in college, and while he's a decent slasher, he remains an undersized SG. I proposed this in another thread, but how about this. It rids us of 400,000 this year and many millions the next two years:

Mike James (5.8 mill, 2 years left) and Luther Head (1.1 mill, 2 years left)

for

JJ Redick (2.0 mill, 2 yrs), Pat Garrity (3.8 mill, last year), and James Augustine (700k, last year)

Redick has shown great flashes in the summer leagues and we all know about his shooting touch. Imagine that as a back-up to keep people honest on Yao. His value is also extremely low right now because he's stuck behind Rashard Lewis, Hedo Turkoglu, and Keith Bogans who basically fulfill the same role (open 3pt shooter) for the Magic. It could be a steal.

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

Hayes+Head+James+pick/s for Dunleavy

Hayes. Didn't Morey say he was the 4th/5th best defensive PF in the league? With Jermaine down they'll need someone like him.

Head was the 4th best 3P shooter in the league last season and has another season on rookie rate.

James can provide cover for Tinsley who hasn't been able to stay healthy. They've got no one good enough to start in his place. He also provides SG depth.

As of now Rockets are a poor shooting team with inconsistent scorers.

Alston, Brooks, Francis
    Dunleavy, Bonzi
    McGrady, Snyder
    Battier, Landry, Novak
    Yao, Scola, Deke

That's a starting lineup with 3 players who can play PG.

12. thumbs

Redick's shot is a thing of beauty, but for a SG he is glacial on the floor. That's why he can't get his shot off.

In another thread hooroo mentioned that Zaza Pachulia is in Atlanta's doghouse. I wish we had something the Hawks craved that matched his $4 per season (one left). As soon as he loses 15-20 pounds, Pachulia IMO would be a perfect reserve PF-C (behind Scola) in Rick Adelman's system.

#12 thumbs, Jan 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

They like Dunleavy a lot over in Indy. Not gonna get rid of him. Not even for Chuck Hayes (they have bigger Chuck Hayes in Jeff Foster).

Besides, there is only one guy you can trade for to save the season right now:

[​IMG]

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Pacers need a shakeup. Tinsley's going to down again at some point. Foster has been playing garbage minutes, collected a few DNPs, and has only gotten major minutes in the last couple of games because O'Neal is out. I'm sure that 11 game or so losing streak from last season is still on Bird's mind.

...but yeah, Dunleavy isn't likely to be traded.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yikes! That's a horrible trade. Even if you really undervalue Head (I personally am a Head fan...Luther that is; especially in Adelman's offense...Luther is maybe the only true HARD cutter on the team), that's still a bad deal.

JJ Redick isn't going to all of a sudden start giving some NBA team production because he's played well in summer league.

You forgot about Scola. Bring Battier off the bench, start Scola. I like this trade, but as mentioned, Dunleavy is having a pretty solid year (41.5% 3 point shooting, 17.5 points, 6 boards, decent assist numbers, good free throw shooter, etc.) so this deal is unlikely. I'd throw in a pick, too...but still unlikely.

I do like the thinking of using Hayes as an asset. For most teams in the league, he's a off the bench PF, but a quality one, with some trade value.

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Maybe its me, but don't we already have a mid season trade thread?

17. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I agree with Carl Herrera on Artest. With the way he's been threatening to opt out lately they should unquestionably look to get something of value for him otherwise he could just walk for nothing.

Adelman has gone with lineups of T-Mac, Battier and Bonzi all on the floor. Going "small" at PF obviously isn't a problem for this team so Artest makes boatloads of sense. Not to mention he literally plays for pennies.

Any realistic trade ideas? I would prefer not to give up Battier since the idea of Battier and Artest smothering the opposition is very intriguing.

Artest has stated that his goal at this point is to win a championship at all costs. Even if that "cost" is playing far below his market value. I firmly feel that if we traded for him he wouldn't even bother opting out and if he did T-Mac and company could persuade him to stick around for a title run.

18. thumbs

Forgive me for putting up this new thread, but the old one was too full of wild T-Mc trades. This one has a new focus -- tweaks rather than tomahawks.

19. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

1. Tmac+Rafer for Andre Miller and Igudala.
    2. Tmax + Rafer for Joe Johnson and Josh Smith
    3. Tmac+Rafer for Mike Bibby and Artest

20. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Isnt Artest going to test the free agent waters this off-season? If so, then I really dont see us getting him. He has been linked to a few teams, but none of them being Houston. I have seen him play at the Fonde Center here in Houston, and he seemed pretty much at home with the likes of Cassell, Francis, Mobley, Lucas, Moochie, Rashard, etc.

If we were able to get him, and he does leave, does that leave us open to making a bid on Gilbert Arenas in the off-season???