1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Houston Rockets draft is a success if they draft..

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by acshen, May 4, 2012.

1. lr22

lr22 Member

I know, but superstar-potential players are what we disparately need.
    I would not mind giving up a lot for them, or perhaps I should say that's not a lot, with Martin's value is falling and Lowry is now not as much important as he was.:)

2. daspydamayn

daspydamayn Member

watch us draft a pg....................

3. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Im fine with getting rid of Martin, I'd prefer it actually.

I still really like Morris and Lowry though. It would really just depend on who was availible wherever we traded up to

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It can happen. I don't expect it. I don't see an NBA ready center at 14/16. Besides that, the Rockets have stiff competition.

5. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

I wouldnt mind picking up Lamb but... what about Llul and Lee? Thats 3 quality starting SG (including Martin) that we would some how have to trade or cut out of our plans in the future so that we can play and eventually start Lamb, personally I think we are covered at the 2.

6. lr22

lr22 Member

Lee is a quality player but not an elite scorer, which limits his value to a solid starter at best.
    Llull is a PG. I know he is a scoring/slashing PG, or actually a SG who trying to play PG, but he isn't big enough to guard NBA's SGs. He won't make significant minutes at 2. Again, Llull is a PG.

Martin is to be traded to somehow get us Lamb in my plan. Lamb will start his career as a back up of Lee, and take over starting job when the time has come.
    And if Llull is a quality player, we have to trade Gogi or Llull, one of them.If not, he would never threaten Lamb's minutes.

I'm glad to hear some of ClutchFans like the idea of pickng up Lamb though:)

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

I personally think it's a success if they don't have the 14th and 16th pick by the end of draft day. And likely a failure if they do draft in both slots. The only way I'd be happy with a 14th and 16th pick is if Les truly tanks and has traded away all our veteran players.

8. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

Ecstatic:
    Trade #14 #16 plus Dallas 1st + current roster member for Superstar!

Realistic:
    Trade #14 #16 plus Dallas 1st to move up the draft for top 10 current and add'l future picks

Disappointed:
    Keeping #14 + #16 and watching Dragic/Lee sign elsewhere to make room on the roster.

...at least we have Motie coming this season.

9. theglyde1121

theglyde1121 Member

I hope they can move both picks to get Sullinger or Barnes in the draft. That is the most likey scenario right now I see. It will be hard to trade both picks for a superstar. Nobody wants our #14 and #16 picks for a superstar we would have to trade too many players.

10. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I'm with you on Sullinger. I've went back and forth on Barnes. But at this point, I'd rather have Jeffrey Taylor than Barnes.

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I think this is a deep draft, and I really hope Houston adds a couple more 1st round picks. I think we need to take advantage of the depth in this draft, use our scouting advantage, and come away with some solid players.

3 Guys I really like that can go anywhere from late lotto to the end of the 1st round:

Andrew Nicholson - most mocks have him hanging around at the end of round 1, but he's likely to be a mid-round pick by draft time. He's a legit 6'9" with long arms, but plays big. He shot 43% from 3pt last year, so he's a great shooter who can stretch the floor; extremely efficient offensive game. He was an 18/8 guy with 2 blocks per game. Can also face up inside, quick off the dribble. A legit PF prospect.

Royce White - most mocks have him as a mid-late 1st rounder. some of the best ball skills i've ever seen from a big man. Excellent passer. Amazing passion for the game. Excellent defender. Good measurables for a NBA SF; at 6'8". While he's not a good 3pt shooter, he fills up the rest of the stat-sheet like only Kidd-Gilchrest: 13pts, 9rbs, 5assists, a steal and a block. White should thrive in the NBA, especially next to a 4 who can stretch the floor with his shooting. Actually; a White/Nicholson 3/4 would be exciting to watch.

John Henson - 6'11" shot-blocker with mid-7 wing-span. Double/double guy who will change the game with his defense; natrual shot-blocking ability. One of the best rebounders in the draft. Can come in and instantly contribute with his defense, but still has incredible upside. Has the talent to be a good NBA center.

To me, if the rockets could aquire an extra mid-late first round pick, and end up with White(3)/Nicholson(4)/Henson(5); this would really help brighten our future. If i had to add a 2-guard to the mix, it would be Jeremy Lamb or Brad Beal, but i don't think either makes it out of the top 10.

12. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

White might be kind of hard to get unless you draft him, early. He probably will fall to Atlanta, Orlando, or Boston.

13. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

Jeff Taylor looks really convincing as a Kevin Martin replacement.

14. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

1) Arnett Moultrie (at 14...possibly trade up)

2) John Henson (at 14)

3) Harrison Barnes (trade up)

4) Tony Wroten (at 16)

5) Terrence Ross (at 14)

ABSOLUTELY NOT...EVER

Royce White - Tweener all the way. Can't play 3 in NBA. (Undersized PFs don't turn into NBA stars, unless you're Charles Barkley)

Jared Sullinger - the next Sean May (see Royce White)

Meyers Leonard - the next Eric Montross

15. RealContender

RealContender Rookie

I'd much rather have John Jenkins later in the draft. Jeff Taylor is Dan Langhi waiting to happen.

16. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Dan Langhi's name gets thrown around every time someone wants another player. I believe it was thrown at Parsons at one point. See how that worked?

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Ecstatic:
    trade #14,#16, dal 1st to move into top 7...thus takin best available...
    perry jones slips to ten or so and we trade 14,dal 1st to select him(bust potential or not)...
    tyler zeller at 14, terrence jones at 16

Happy:
    jeremy lamb,terrence jones, or jared sullinger at 14
    arnett moultrie,terrence ross, or meyers leonard at 16

upset:
    rivers at 14, melo at 16

18. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Quincy Miller and John Henson are already building some chemistry, and they're working out here in Houston.

Maybe two future Rockets... ;)

19. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

If we cant get top 5, its useless. So we should trade down and get all 4 of these guys - Tony Wroten, Jeff Taylor, Fab Melo and Festus Ezeli.

20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Ross at 16,is my choice. 14 not sure yet. Henson is skinny,but has good upside and is athletic. I doubt he will drop to 14, but I would take him over Tyler and Leonard(they are good,but not as talented as Henson).

#60 saleem, May 12, 2012
    Last edited: May 13, 2012