1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[LeBron Talk] Finals MVP on a losing team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LCAhmed, Jun 15, 2015.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Jerry West is the only guy to do it and that was back in 1969 when he averaged 38ppg against the Celtics. I believe his numbers were 38p/5r/8a. Amazing numbers to say the least!

Now walk into 2015 where LeBron has a Cavs team which is on life support and their only hope is that by some miracle LeBron can go from God Mode to an even more Godlike God Mode. Lebron is currently averaging 37p/12r/9a.

Normally, I would agree that giving out a Finals MVP to a player on the losing team is taboo! I didn't really see how Jerry West could win it back in 1969 (I didn't witness the games in person) but after seeing LeBron carry this team and be HEAD AND SHOULDERS BETTER than everyone else on the court game after game, I feel that LeBron has a strong consideration for being the 2nd winner of the Finals MVP on a losing squad.

Thoughts?

2. hooroo

hooroo Member

Give it to the man and this is coming from someone who has never been a fan and still isn't.

3. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

He's actually averaging 36.6ppg/12.4rpg/8.8apg

Crazy.

4. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Hello, no. Harden, Yao, or Westbrook would get similar number on the Cavs. It is one man showing team, his number will be good, but MVP is for the winning team, not for good number.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yao isn't in the best of shape nowadays.

Plus, Cleveland would probably just have Tristan front Yao, and we all know that for whatever reason the Rockets were always incapable of overcoming a smaller guy fronting Yao.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

They'll still give it to Curry boo.

7. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

MVP stands for Most Valuable Player. The NBA Finals Most Valuable Player (In My Opinion) has clearly been LeBron James. The better team (healthier team) has been the Warriors, but the Most Valuable Player has been LeBron. Nobody on GSW has played exceptionally well, the only two players on GSW who have a chance are Iggy and Steph.

8. adobo

adobo Member

Is he the best player in this series? Yes. Is he the MVP? Thats a different question. The finals MVP normally means the player that was most valuable for the team in winning the series.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Yao, Harden, or Westbrook could not do what lebron does. They aren't even on the same level. Yao would probably broke his foot after one game if he had to play as much as lebron. If you watch the game you would realize he is carrying them. Screw this efficiency BS.

10. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Sorry, but no matter what LeBron does...if Golden State wins the finals, the MVP is going to be awarded to a member of the Warriors squad...probably Igoudala or Curry. Simple as that.

It doesn't matter if Finals MVP on a losing team has happened once before all those years ago. That was then, this is now 2015. Today's NBA is NOT going to risk the significant controversy that would occur if a member of the losing team won MVP.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

giving the mvp to a player on the losing team would be just plain dumb at this day and age.

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

I hope Iggy wins it.

13. ibm

ibm Member

who the heck is jerry west?? :)

14. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

I think there're a few players(including Curry) would have had monster stats as well, if anyone of them is forced to dominate the ball every possession and average 45 minutes a game.

15. Ismail

Ismail Member

I think you have to give it to LeBron. Iguodala is the only stand out performer for the Warriors across the series. Maybe if Curry shows up again in Game 6 he'll have it locked up. He's definitely trending upward.

16. krmclaughlin

krmclaughlin Member

Totally agree with OP. Cleveland can't even take LeBron off the floor for more than 3 minutes a game and remain competitive. He's the only player on either side with that kind of impact. I am NOT a fan of LeBron, but I still think he deserves it.

17. ibm

ibm Member

a few others can have the same stats if dominated the ball, definitely yes.

those few others incl. curry? i think not.

18. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Stats is one thing, but I think if you replace Lebron with any other player the Warriors have already swept the Cavs and its a moot point.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Man, I would love to see LeBron have to go back out to the on-court podium after a home loss, surrounded by happy Warriors players and accept that trophy. That'd be interesting TV. He's basically having to show his D to the world again.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Kim Kardashian's son.