1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Carville: 'Ted Cruz Is the Most Talented, Fearless Republican Politician I’ve Seen in 30 Years'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bobmarley, May 6, 2013.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Both the speaker and the individual he was speaking about are jokes. Would be pretty to see both of them out of office.

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QlB_tP5aOpU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. False

False Member

Ted Cruz is trying to link Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals to the the surge. However, there is no indication that the surge is due to Deferred Action. The only change in policy that spurred this surge is the treatment of children under the 2008 TVPRA. There also remain a whole host of other push and pull factors, but Deferred Action is not one of them.

Cruz and others are still welcome to try and reach their desired conclusions of turning back all the children immediately and rolling back Deferred Action, but they shouldn't lie and mislead the public just to get us there.

4. Commodore

the surge after DACA is the indication

there was no surge after the 2008 law

5. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

So are you in favor of spending more money to deport children that will just attempt to cross the border again?

6. False

False Member

Yes, and surge also happened after the announcement of the I601A waiver process for family immigration in January 2013. Yet no one is saying that the I601A waiver caused the surge. Just because two things overlap temporally it doesn't mean that they are linked. When there is a change of law it typically takes awhile for it to affect behavior as a critical mass of the community needs to observe and learn. We have hit that critical mass of knowledge of the 2008 changes and that is one of the reasons for why we are seeing a surge.

Migration Policy Institute
    http://www.migrationpolicy.org/article/dramatic-surge-arrival-unaccompanied-children-has-deep-roots-and-no-simple-solutions

And it is not just more neutral sources which are saying that the 2008 TVPRA has incentivized the sending for of kids. The immigrants themselves are saying that they know that children will be released into the United States. I kid you not, I even had a Honduran handyman working on my place one year ago who seemed to know that children were treated differently that adults when caught by CBP. The 2008 TVPRA changes are an example of a legal change incentivizing action. DACA is not what has caused the surge but it behooves certain politicians to say that it has.

You can believe that DACA is terrible and that we should change the 2008 TVPRA protections so that we start removing these kids immediately after apprehension, but at least provide accurate information.

7. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Not possible for the Fauxbots.

8. g1184

g1184 Member

Nope. He's in favor of conflating a post hoc fallacy with causality.

[​IMG]

9. val_modus

val_modus Member

Wait wait wait... He agrees with Obama that this is an international tragedy (the kids being exploited by harsh conditions back home and not having a place to live where they don't fear being killed in their sleep), yet he states that the root of this crisis is the promise of amnesty?!?! Am I crazy, or did I just hear that? These ****ing tea party puppets always find a way to dodge and completely side step over the real issues and causes of these problems. How does the promise of amnesty create an international tragedy in which young children are being murdered in war-torn cartel led countries that came about because of OUR senseless drug policies? Hmmmmm Ted Cruz sure is fearless for making a BS political assertion like that, would you folks not agree?

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

LMAO

Ted Cruz is a joke just like most Republicans trying to dimish Obama's tenure.

Obama has done a mighty fine job in re-establishing the economy after Bush killed it.

11. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Just think how much better we'd be right now if republicans would have helped and not obstructed every single thing the President did.

12. Commodore

<iframe width="320" height="180" src="http://cbn.com/tv/embedplayernews.aspx?bcid=3779278374001" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

14. chrispbrown

chrispbrown Member

I think this was very well calculated by Cruz, but at the same time very scary. I am not comparing Cruz to Nazi fascists, but his path to power has taken a similar strategy.

per wiki:

"Fascists sought to unify their nation through an authoritarian state that promoted the mass mobilization of the national community[5][6] and were characterized by having leadership that initiated a revolutionary political movement aiming to reorganize the nation along principles according to fascist ideology.[7] Fascist movements shared certain common features, including the veneration of the state, a devotion to a strong leader, and an emphasis on ultranationalism and militarism. Fascism views political violence, war, and imperialism as a means to achieve national rejuvenation,[5][8][9][10] and it asserts that stronger nations have the right to expand their territory by displacing weaker nations."

15. Nook

Nook Member

Ted Cruz is a very very bright man with many skills. Everything Cruz does is planned and measured. He knew the response he would get.

He has one fatal flaw, he doesn't come across as sincere and that is why he will never be President.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I think it shows Teddy being dumb. He thinks all Christians even those from the Middle East are like the sort of crazed Christian Zionists he grew up with.

I do agree it plays perhaps to the types of kooks who support him.

I predict he will make a lot of money and have a spot on Fox after Texas turns blue. He might even replace Rush.

Fortunately he is just so personally dislikeable that his appeal is limited outside of the Texas GOP. Reminds me of Phil Gramm in how poorly his act he would play outside of Texas.

17. Bob Barker 007

I don't give a single flip about politics, but Cruz is not a fascist, lol.

18. Nook

Nook Member

You under estimate Ted Cruz. He is not some uneducated rube. He is very aware of the politics of Arab Christians. He isn't ever surprised when they boo him.

While he will never be President, I can see him being a very dangerous Secretary of State or Attorney General.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This also applies to Rick Perry to a lesser extent. I also agree he will ride the money train after leaving the Senate.

While he's clearly a lot more intelligent, I put Cruz in the Sarah Palin category where he doesn't want a real job with a daily grind, like SoS or AG. He wants a platform to pontificate and blow his horn. The Senate is the perfect place for him. A cabinet position would force Cruz to become a team player, which even his more ardent supports must admit he is not.

20. Commodore

He is sincere, but he is also scripted.

Cruz is a champion debater and has successfully argued multiple cases in front of the Supreme Court. He is trained to have a response formulated for any potential argument he might be faced with.

He is not spontaneous, but he is thoughtful.