1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Fracking Revolution

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Cohete Rojo, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Just look at the data from the Eagle Ford.

[​IMG]

Despite how wrong the naysayers have been, US oil and gas companies are at the forefront of the next big thing. These companies are revolutionizing how to develop safe, responsible clean energy.

No need to bomb anyone in the Middle East for this stuff. And despite all the turmoil in that region, oil prices have not spiked or reached obscenely high levels. That is a direct result of the innovation here in the US.

From the article:

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

lulz, how much they pay you to memorize that phrase into your skull? Gotta hit all three to sound good...

Repeat it enough and it's true, regardless of whether that has been happening.

3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

4. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I used to live in North Dakota. There's nothing clean about fracking. Plus when you have a state like North Dakota that goes out of its way to not regulate the industry, you get a complete mess.

Fracking absolutely can be done safely but no state regulator has bothered to try and force companies to do so responsibly.

5. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

What have you seen that indicates to you that companies are not fracking responsibly?

6. Cohete Rojo

There is blight associated with drilling and I wouldn't call it dirty. It is no more different than what you might get when a new subdivision is built on pristine natural habitat. Farms, roads, and factories are not natural, but that doesn't make them unclean.

Also, an increase in Asian demand have help lift oil prices to their current levels. I wouldn't say demand is falling off. It may be falling off in the US, but the US was a little bit gluttonous. These higher energy prices create innovation, force conservation and create high paying jobs.

7. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

Well, he told you he lived in North Dakota. What other credentials does he need? Having lived in Houston for the last 28 years I'm an expert on many things ranging from space exploration to wildcatting.

8. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

Just to clarify: energy from petroleum combustion can never be a clean source

Pounds of CO2 emitted per million Btu of energy for various fuels:
    Coal 205.7
    Diesel fuel & heating oil 161.3
    Gasoline 157.2
    Propane 139.0
    Natural gas 117.0

The important aspect of these numbers is the relative magnitude, not the decimal point.
    ------------

But yes, the US is on a trend of overproducing wrt today's demand, but accounting for the natural production decline rates, they won't keep overproducing much longer. When well production stabilizes in a few years (1-2), it'll meet demand. It's the nature of producing by fracturing with where the technology stands today. I'm pretty sure they'll increase imports again in a couple of years when they've finished drilling all the shale they don't want to preserve.

If tomorrow they find a way to prolong high production rates for longer, you can be sure they'll cap the number of production wells.

#8 srrm, Oct 4, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  9. Classic

Classic Member

Good. We're transitioning. Lithium is a major part of the future anyway. Good thing we have lots of that too:

10. Buck Turgidson

Come down to Karnes County with me and I'll show you.

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

What are they doing wrong there?

12. Buck Turgidson

It depends on the site and the operator/contractor. Some are totally above-board and professional, some are way beyond shady as far as maintenance/cleanup/etc goes.

The biggest problem is the wear-and-tear on the public infrastructure: roads and bridges especially. That and the massive drain on already dwindling water resources.

13. Cohete Rojo

Find some real dirt or accept reality. Blind ideological loyalty does not impress or persuade me.

14. Cohete Rojo

Bring ‘em home.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Okay?

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's good to be first in something even if it is a dying field.

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Its not dying

Totally renewable energy is a long way off from completely replacing fossil.

A major issue for renewable energy remains to be electricity storage

18. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That doesn't mean it isn't dying. I would prefer the nation of which I'm a citizen to be in the lead, not grasping on to the dying past when it comes to our economy and industry.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

We aren't grasping to a dying past. Natural gas a great energy source. Its plentiful and it doesn't leave as much CO2 as most fossil fuel.

When renewables are viable on a large scale basis we will be using morere.
    However just China uses more solar but they are still a bigger polluter because they are limited by the same issues in renewables