1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Dynamo 2006 Playoff Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by halfbreed, Oct 15, 2006.

1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

The Dynamo are the #2 seed in the West and face Chivas USA in the first round. The first round is a home-and-home aggregate scoring round.

Game 1: @ Chivas USA, Sunday, Oct. 22, at 3:00 pm CT, ESPN2
    Game 2: @ Houston, TBD

Season Matchups:

T 1-1, 6/28 @ Chivas USA
    W 3-1, 7/08 @ Houston
    L 3-2, 08/26 @ Chivas USA
    T 0-0, 09/17 @ Houston

The Orange have been streaking lately and played to an entertaining 3-3 draw against Colorado last night. Chivas closes out the season tonight vs. Real Salt Lake.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

HOLY SH*T. Do they still have both Palencia and Suarez? I am there. Both played for Chivas (FMF), so I will be there at least ONE game to root against their *ss.

3. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

I haven't seen a Dynamo game on TV in a while, can't wait for this one.

4. halfbreed

:eek: AGAINST?

They're from Houston! It's just like the Texans except these guys are good.

5. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

It should be an entertaining playoff...will be interesting to see how attendance does, whether it increases drastically or remains the same. They have been doing pretty well attendance wise, and the atmosphere is great, especially with crazy orange section.

You can get tickets for the home game on the 29th at ticketmaster. I went through the process to verify but didn't buy them yet.

I like Dalglish alot and think he should replace Moreno when Ching starts. Moreno is such a flopper and a disgrace. Last night at the game he kept flopping and crying at the ref when it wasn't called. He did it so much that when he really gets fouled, it is not called.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

nice...It should be a good...

7. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

Crazy game last night. Wind swirling around at inconvenient time. The Colorado douchebags got a gift in the 87th minute. One of the most accidental headers you will ever see. Asswipes!

Anyway, a fresh Ching for the playoffs teaming with DeRo ought to reinfuse our offense hopefully to go all the way. Hey, it would be good to have some team, any team in Houston play like a champion this year!

8. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

He means against the Chivas players, he's an Americanista (sp?). Of course the fact that the Dynamo are playing should be enough to get people to come out. ;)

Playing Chivas USA is always interesting because they'll draw out the Chivas fans which adds to the atmosphere. The two teams match up pretty well, both of them like to play an attacking style and if it weren't for some dodgy officiating we should have tied the game we lost there. Of all the teams in the western conference they're the ones that worry me the most but I think we can beat them.

9. halfbreed

Ok, whew! Apologies Swoly!

10. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Went to my first game on Saturday and enjoyed it very much. I was a bit worried when I missed the first goal. I thought for sure it was going to end 1-0. DeRo impressed me more in person. Daglish, whie he did score, did not impress me at all. His first touch is terrible. I can remember at least 4 times when he could have had a go at goal, only to give it away with a crap touch. I haven't seen enough of them to say what difference Ching makes in the lineup, but I imagine it does make some. They should do well in the playoffs...if they can score. You have to get a goal on the road, even if you tie.

GO DYNAMO

11. DrLudicrous

Dalglish didn't have a great game but I still like what he brings to the table. Moreno is simply too slow and when he gets the ball he either takes a dive or makes a back pass, Paul will at least attempt to run at the defense and create something. He can also make runs to receive a through pass, any time that was tried with Moreno he'd get outrun by the defender.

And home and away goals count the same in MLS so a 0-0 draw would be fine for us. I don't see that happening though, Chivas is too good to hold them scoreless at home, we can only hope our offense can keep pace with them.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No hay problema. Like DrLudicrous said, I hate the CHIVAS with a passion. It's payback time for beating my AMERICA 3-1 in the last Super Clasico. :mad:

Palencia may have been an OK MNT player and a much better Chivas player, but his best years were with CRUZ AZUL. I respect him as a player but not as a player against my DYNAMO.

13. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Even you soccer guys can't possibly defend the wacky playoff system, can you?

14. DrLudicrous

If I were running things fewer teams would make it (right now it's 8 of 12) and all the rounds other than the final would be home and home. Once the league grows to 16+ teams then having 8 make the playoffs won't be as bad.

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I was referring more to the two game system and whoever scores the most points wins.

16. DrLudicrous

That's actually pretty common in soccer, in Europe they also have a rule where away goals count more than home goals. It does make home field advantage kind of meaningless though. But overall I don't have a problem with it.

17. halfbreed

I don't see a problem with this. It creates incentive to score even if you're ahead in a game.

Besides, it's just this way for the first round. After that it's a two one-game series. I think it's actually the best way to do a "series" in soccer.

18. Rockets10

Rockets10 Contributing Member

Definitely looking forward to the games. Haven't decied where I will watch the game this Saturday, but it should be great either way. Already have my tickets to the home game through my season tickets. Hopefully the turnout is 20,000+.

19. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Can't mess with the Chivas from Guadalajara :D , but forget ChivasUSA and go Dynamo!

20. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

Might watch the Dynamos in the playoffs. I still have that mindset where ties are unacceptable. And it seems like in Soccer if it is a tie in the middle of the second half both teams play not to lose.