1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1st round pick for Rockets

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by jeremyang2002, Mar 25, 2006.

?

1st round pick

1. Brandon Roy

59 vote(s)
    29.5%
  2. JJ Redick

30 vote(s)
    15.0%
  3. Rodney Carney

20 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Shelden Williams

26 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. Joakim Noah

15 vote(s)
    7.5%
  6. Tyrus Thomas

33 vote(s)
    16.5%
  7. Randy Foye

6 vote(s)
    3.0%
  8. Ronnie Brewer

4 vote(s)
    2.0%
  9. Marcus Williams

6 vote(s)
    3.0%
  10. Tiago Splitter

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  1. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Morrison/Gay/Bargani/Aldridge will probably out of our reach.

Pick one you think will fit best for the Rockets.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I voted Carney, but Roy would be a great pick as well. Carney is a very athletic guard that has good size (something we sorely need). He is a good scorer and can hit the 3. His athleticism makes him a pretty good defender.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Roy but he is suppose to be a great shooter, better than Carney at least. He is only an inch taller than Head and I was hoping to add some size at SG.

3. jeremyang2002

I would pick Roy over Carney because he is a pure SG.

Carney really needs to improve his ball handling skill to play the SG position in NBA. He plays more like SF to me.

BTW Roy is 6'5, Head is only 6'2-6'3.

4. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Carney/Roy/Thomas, I'd Be Ok with any of those guys.

5. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Noah. That dude is awesome. He's very active on defense, crashes the boards, and has some offensive skills. But the thing I like most about him is his non-stop motor. He's a real stud.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Man, it's a toss-up for me between Roy and Brewer.

There are questions about both guys, though. Roy has a knee ailment, and Brewer had a childhood accident that left him unable to fully extend his shooting arm.

Brewer seems like someone that can really help us on the defensive end more than anything. I'm confident that he can be a perimeter defensive stopper, especially under JVG. He's 6'7", athletic, and averaged nearly 3 steals per game this season. Apparently has a great work ethic and attitude, and is coachable and unselfish.

Then there's Roy..."my boy Brandon Roy" as I have started to call him lol. I have liked his game a lot, and then I saw him tonight against UConn. Regardless of losing the game, the guy looked amazing. He made big shots, showed GREAT court vision for a 6'6" SG, displayed some really smooth handles, as well as an impressive post-up game. On top of that, he was guarding Gay rather well for a lot of the game and he also showed a lot of effort by crashing the boards. The guy isn't incredible at any one thing, but he's so damn good at so many! I could really see him starting at the 2 for us next year, but it'd take a miracle for JVG to let ANY rookie start.

So, I think both of those guys can help us tremendously, but also in significantly different ways so that's where the tough decision has to be made. At this point, I'd take Roy and that's who I voted for.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Agreed! I have been propping Noah for the last week here. Get Noah and then trade Swift for a veteran (and young) SG as our 3rd scorer.

8. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

#8 hashmander, Mar 25, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  9. WhoMikeJames

A lot of these guys we can't draft if we don't get a pick thats #5-10

10. m_cable

A lot of people are noticing that Roy doesn't look as big as advertised. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes in under 6'5". Which might be a reason he'll fall to us instead of going top 5.

11. gucci888

You're right, I thought Head was 6-4 for some reason.

But really like Carney's athleticism and size. He has long arms which make him a pretty good defender, I thought defense from our SGs was a problem last season. He can create his own shot and is a pretty good 3-pt shooter.

Like I said, Roy would be a great pick as well, but I really want to add some athleticism and size at SG.

12. WhoMikeJames

Carney is a SF i thought?

Anyway, all this talk about the Draft makes me feel like its tommorow ....

Sadly we still have 94 days, 6 hours, 33 minutes, 10 seconds :(

13. gucci888

They have him listed as SG/SF.

14. hashmander

hashmander Contributing Member

who's a lot of people? that's why i posted that picture. rudy gay is 6-9. does roy look 5" shorter?

15. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I would like to ask how does Joakim Noah's overall game compare with Dwight Howard? We need instant help at the 2 and Roy sounds good to me but the thought of a long,athletic hardworking 4 is intriguing. Another player that i would like to see on the Rockets is Shelden Williams. He is shorter than Noah but he is stronger, more experienced and also could help Yao out.

16. m_cable

I've heard it mentioned a few times on this board. Although it might be because he seems to crouch when he's dribbling the ball. I guess we'll see at the pre-draft workout.

17. gucci888

You can't see anything under their chests so it's hard to decifer w/ that pic.

18. jeremyang2002

Brandon Roy:

Pros: solid all-around player, shooting is pretty good and still improving(50% FG,80%FT,40% 3pt), can create his own shoots and a very good post up player,
    high basketball IQ and very patient

Cons: Dont have explosiveness or "dunk-contest" leaping ability, size is only average for a NBA SG, does everything very well but nothing out of this world

Conclusion:I think Brandon Roy will probably be a good 2nd or 3rd scoring option for a NBA team. He can be an effective player on offense with the ball in his hand or by moving without the ball. He probably won't average more than 20 points per game just because he won't be able to get many open looks beyond his shot off the dribble. He seems like an intelligent basketball player who should be able to recognize how to effectively adjust his game to his opponent's tendencies, strengths and weaknesses. He'll also be a decent 1 on 1 defender with a good enough head to be able to play solid team defense.

19. jeremyang2002

20. ktvoss

ktvoss Contributing Member