1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Foul Ball Strategy?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mr_gootan, Jul 10, 2003.

Tags:
  1. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I went to the Reds game last night and, for the first time in my life, found myself sitting in a section where foul balls actually go to (first base side). One landed three seats away from me, and about 5 others made it to my general vicinity.

As I'm watching the ball come toward me, I realize I have no idea what I'm going to do if I do have a shot at it. Do I take my eyes off of it to put down my drink, or should I just drop it? Do I raise my arms to get first shot, or try to cup it? Do I push down the old man in the walker or box out everyone? Luckily I never had to decide because it probably would have just bounced off of my face due to my indecision.

I started watching what other people did, and saw a lot of guys raising there arms only to have the ball bounce off of their girly hands to be picked up by someone not trying so hard. I was never fan enough to bring a mitt to the park. So I'm asking: what are your foul ball catching strategies?

2. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Bring a glove.
    I do.

3. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

Learn to bare-hand the ball. It's really not that difficult. I've taken lots of high catchs playing cricket in my time. Get two hands to the ball if possible, and give way with your hands as the ball makes contact.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

No point in wasting a perfectly good drink when chances are you probably won't get the ball. Switch hands and put the drink in your nondominant hand, and, as Bailey suggested, try to barehand it. It's not too difficult, play wall ball for a little practice.

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

But if the ball is close enough, you can throw the drink on those in the general vicinity. They are likely to be surprised / distracted by the shower of cold drink, giving you a better chance of catching the ball.

"Ooops. Sorry! I was surprised by the ball!"

6. RIET

RIET Contributing Member

Don't be a hero.

Catch it on the rebound.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Dude you got cajones grandes if you try to catch foul ball barehanded. Bring a glove unless you want to risk bruising your hand or even worse breaking a finger.

8. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I went to a an Astros game this year, my first one, and I was sitting on the 1st base line in the outfield, about 12 or 15 rows up.

No foul balls ever came to my section exept to sections over to the left of me. It bounced off their section, and it came to the next section to me.

9. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'd never try to catch it with barehands, a screamer headed towards me earlier this year I just dodged it and got out of the way. I got made fun of for that but its better than having a broken finger. I usally bring my glove but that day I didnt. BTW who here has actually caught a foul ball? Ive been going to games since probaly 1991 when I was just 7 years old, Im guessing atleast a 150 games total. I never have caught one. Or had my hands on one for that matter. True sometimes I've sat in seats that had no chance at getting a foulball but usually I've sat in alright seats. Anybody have a longer streak than me in not catching a foul ball? I've only caught some homerun balls during batting practice, Id rather have a foul ball for sure. Tonight Im sitting in the Crawford boxes maybe Ensberg will hit me a bomb.

10. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I caught one the last year the stros played in the dome. It stung like hell. I gave it to my friends little girl who was at the game with us and he bought me beer for the rest of the game.

If one ever comes close to me again i'm waiting for the rebound unless there is a chance it might hit my daughter who usually goes to the games with me.