1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

CJ Miles signs offer sheet from OKC

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaDakota, Jul 18, 2008.

Tags:
  1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

2. Pringles

Pringles Member

almost 4 million per year? wtf?

chuck hayes is insulted.
    mutombo is insulted.
    azbuike is insulted. (this kid is way more proven than miles)
    Gibson is insulted.

thats too much guarenteed for a unproven player with a questionable work ethic.

3. DaDakota

The new assistant GM was in Utah last year, he is well aware of Miles.....basically the guy produced when given the chance, but was sort of buried by Sloan for not playing as a Free Agent in the summer league last year.

Sloan is a bit of an overbearing ARSE at times.....I don't think the Jazz match, and we finally get to see what UT would have looked like with Durant and Miles.

DD

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

edit: whoops thought it was darius...

too bad he didn't honor his commitment to UT. could've been a hell of a team...

5. Chamillionaire

he's worth the risk, young, athletic 2 who can shoot and drive. he'll surprise a lot more people this year, and he's young enough to grow up with durant, green, etc...

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I am not saying C.J. Miles won't be a nice player down the line. But a guy who hasn't even scored 500 total points in 3 seasons getting $15MM, with $12MM guaranteed? We all know the Jazz won't match because they don't think very highly of the guy.

This is what the CBA is all about. If Miles develops, the Hornets did well. Otherwise, they blew it very badly.

7. DaDakota

I think you mean the Sonics....errrrr...Thundercats.....or whatever their name is now....

DD

8. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a sec I thought the Hornets got this guy too. They just signed Posey, so I was confused to why they would sign another wing.

9. HAYJON02

Scouts get paid money for a reason, right? He's even played NBA ball. There is a precedent for this decision.

Trashing this signing is like saying that you know better than paid professionals whose job it is to know reasonably whats what. This isn't monopoly money. I doubt the check writer of a new franchise just wants to put OKC in a hole.

This was a good signing. I other suiters offered a comparable amount and you're fairly certain that he will be a keeper... why not?

10. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Jerry Sloan will let CJ Miles walk for sure.

Sloan doesnt like CJ Miles' dedication and the contract money is too high to match.

Utah still has Morris Almond/Ronnie Brewer/Kyle Krover. So may not be a big deal for the Jazz.

I do love CJ Miles' length, athleticism and shooting. Miles is young and has shown a lot of promises in last season. Miles still has a lot of room to improve.

Looks like a good pickup for OKC. It's like OKC is picking up a late lottery pick with proven quality. The price is higher but still worth it.

11. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Do you know Miles numbers before you said this?

I take Miles' deal over Gibson's deal any day of the week.

12. DaDakota

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Ooops!

If Miles didn't like Sloan, I wonder how playing for P.J. Carlesimo will be for him. Of all NBA coaches, he's near the top when it comes to being disliked by his players. The only reason he wasn't fired is because they will still lose this season anyway.

14. DaDakota

I think PJ underwent a transformation in San Antonio, you hear much different things about him now...sometimes getting fired after being choked can humble a man.

;)

DD

15. Chamillionaire

sloan hasn't played him. if he had durants pt and the green light, he'd be averaging double figures for sure.

16. Pringles

Pringles Member

scouts, even if they are professionals, doesn't mean anything. PLENTY of times, they are wrong. as rockets fan, we know that for sure.

eddie griffin
    cato
    taylor
    stromile swift

even with veterans we were wrong.

sorry, but the improvements isn't really impressive.

17. Pringles

Pringles Member

accidentally pressed enter before i answered you. sorry for the double post.

miles numbers aren't even the greatest, and i don't know why you would ask me that. you look at the potential a young player has and his personality/work ethic. potential is great, work ethic not so good, (though the coach was Jerry Sloan) either way, too much guarenteed for a unproven player.

12 million? no thanks.

Gibson has proven himself COUNTLESS times. For example, the series against detroit in his rookie year. plus, cavs just want lebron back and gibson was a must to have.

18. HAYJON02

You're saying again that you should be paid to be an NBA scout/GM/front office exec. I doubt it.

$4 million a year doesn't just happen and neither do you as any of the positions I just listed. You have no good evidence to trash this signing. You can worry, sure, but no one pays a worrier to worry without evidence professionally.

I'd sign Landry over Miles but I wouldn't be pissed if we made this kind of signing in a vacuum. Who knows if we're trying to free some space for 2010...

19. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Let me put it this way:

CJ Miles talent is worth a late lottery pick.
    Both Gibson and Azubuike are worth a late 1st round pick.
    Hayes is worth a 2nd round pick.

Gibson has the most overpaid contract among those guys. I doubt Gibson will have the same performance in playoffs as his rookie year.

20. Pringles

Pringles Member

when you say that i have no good evidence to trash this signing, i could say the samething, saying you don't have evidence to applaud this signing. and with young players like miles, professionals can't see how miles will fit in their team cause they haven't played for them. so their "prediction" or the material leading up to their prediction has limits.

anyways, i'm just expressing my opinion over this signing. in my first post, i just stated out proven players that i think are worth more than miles, as of now.

if miles turns out to be a pretty good player, than Congrats to the sonics/thundercats/whoever. they got a steal. though, if they really believed he'll be a good player, they could have waited and see the market, and gotten him cheaper, imo.