1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mozilla CEO controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ferrari77, Mar 31, 2014.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this here yet.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...w-chiefs-support-for-ban-on-gay-marriage.html

2. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

OkCupid decide they want to get attention today

http://blog.sfgate.com/techchron/20...refox-because-mozilla-ceo-opposes-gay-rights/

3. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

I don't get it. Does the guy have the freedom and the right to decide what he believes in? The bottom line is that he has the right to be anti-gay. Isn't it what democracy is all about? And last time I checked, being anti-gay is not illegal in this country. So what is the problem?

4. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Of course he does, just as society has a right to judge him. This is America. Is he going to jail or getting sued... I'm not getting what you're getting at?

1 person likes this.
  5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

this is a lot of noise over $1000. as long as he doesn't discriminate within the company i don't really have a problem with how he chooses to spend his own money, even if i don't agree with it

6. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

He is not going to jail. But he has been forced to apologize. And there is a campaign going on to force him to resign. What crime has he committed?

7. Kyakko

He hasn't committed any crime and he won't go jail for not apologizing. But Mozilla is a business and he has to answer to his customers. "Freedom" has nothing to do wit it.

1 person likes this.
  8. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

The employees are forcing him to resign, not the consumers.

9. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

depends on how you look at it. the employees that are upset because he is homophobic and want him to resign based on that are out of line. if the board decides that his position on gay marriage is hurting the company's bottom line and want him removed is acceptable.

10. Major

Major Member

He hasn't been forced to do anything. Isn't a campaign to get him to resign just an expression of free speech?

11. Kyakko

What do you mean forcing him? You mean protesting through tweets and banners or through lawyers and forced arrest? I have no problems with the former. Bad publicity is part of the "market", he's apologizing because the "market" is forcing him to, not the law. That has nothing to do with a violation of freedom. I would the first to protest if he was arrested for not apologizing, but this isn't the case is it?

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Didn't realize people still used Mozilla/Firefox.

13. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Chrome faints.

14. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Liberals are tolerant....unless you have a different opinion than them

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

As a single person, I will be protesting Firefox because Mr. Eich supports me being treated differently because of my marital preference.

Seriously though, why don't homosexuals ever fight for polygamists or single people to be treated equally as well? They really don't see the big picture.

16. FV Santiago

FV Santiago Member

This is bullying by the pro-gay supporters. It's wrong. The CEO has the civil right to support the causes that he chooses.

I have no idea why people promote the gay lifestyle. It leads to heartbreak. Disease, short life expectancy, inability to naturally produce children, on and on.

17. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

I have no problem if they express disagreement with his anti-gay stance, privately or publicly. But campaigning him to resign is out of line. So someone has to lose his job just because he exercises his freedom to be anti-gay?

18. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

my god, if he can't take a couple of tweets, then maybe he should resign.

mad respect for the man for creating JS. However, if his own employees are revolted by his stance, they are free to express it in whichever way they choose under the framework of the First Amendment and etc. Wow, imagine that---just because you pay them dollars doesn't mean they're automatons who don't have different views. And ultimately you are responsible to the people who build your organization (especially one that works in a distributed way like Mozilla). If you're coming in with views that repulse everything your organization stands for (open access to the web for ALL, no discrimination), well, don't expect flowers.

the pressure of this does not even compare to the "oh I'm voting for Romney, you should too employee" bull**** we saw in 2012.

I think some people just get ornery when they see others taking on people for their ideals rather than the money involved (a very Mozilla thing to do).

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Hypocrisy at its best. Sadly yes, homosexuals have been discriminated against for decades, if not centuries. They have come a long ways in the last couple decades for equal rights. Now they have moved past equal rights into special treatment and now into the position they once detested... being intolerant.

20. Northside Storm

Northside Storm Contributing Member

You really think homosexuals, of all people, have something against sexual liberty and something for established hierarchies and traditions? LOL.

it's called fighting for every bit that you've got. Only a few decades ago, homosexuals were jailed, castrated, and lobotomized for being who they were. That they're able to be fully recognized under federal law in an institution denied to them is only another significant victory---and there will be more. Have YOU been looking at the bigger picture?