1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Iphone 4s or Samsung Galaxy S II?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JBIIRockets, Nov 30, 2011.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I would like to get your feedback on which direction to go? I get my upgrade on January 1st and I am with Sprint.

I've done a lot of research including reading the Samsung Nexus Prime Thread and I'm leaning towards the Galaxy, due to the fact it's 4G while the iPhone is not. How's is the battery life of these 2 phones in your opinion?

I did buy an iPad 2 last week though, and it's awesome.

2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

the battery life on my iphone 4s is dog crap with the search indexing enabled. i have to charge it about 1.5x a day, or just nightly if i don't use my phone much.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

^ I don't have that problem. OP: Definitely iPhone 4S. :eek: I only say that because I have one. :p

Seriously speaking, I am willing to bet that people here only have ONE or the other... so their answer will be skewed for whatever they have, or if they don't hate what they have... you will probably get best answers from a site that compares both exactly side by side, same features, etc.

Google something like "comparison between" and the models. :cool:

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Galaxy Note AND iphone 4S :cool:

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I just got the Galaxy s2 at Radio Shack for $49.99, but with AT&T. I'm happy with it's performance so far. From what I've read, it's overall better than the Iphone. Unless you're just an Apple fan and want compatibility and brand, i'd get the S2.

The only things that have bugged me are handling, but that comes with having a large screen and a thin phone. Not a lot of space to grab the phone around the edges. Sometimes your fingers come over the edge and accidently press something. Just not a lot of space on the edges to place your fingers, so you're more likely to drop it, but i'm hoping a case will improve all this.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

You're on Sprint, "4G" is almost non existent indoors with Sprint on the spectrum they have it on. Yes, it can work but back when I had sprint in early 2010, it was horrible and the tower to tower hand off between Wi-max towers is pretty sketchy to say the least. Sprint will get LTE in the future but as of right now, your best bet for data is their EVDO-A (3g) which is of course what you'll get out of both devices.

The iPhone is a great phone, and if you're not planning on customizing your phone or simply don't care or have the time for it, get it.

If you like the bigger screen, dont' like to use itunes, and like tweaking your phone (not necessarily hacking or anything but just simple customization), I'd go with the GS2.

7. Scionxa

I nominate the Note, i don't know about that other phone... :grin:

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It's not real 4G. If you want 4G get the Galaxy on Verizon which has LTE.

9. Major

Major Member

I have a 4s, and was originally on Sprint. I compared the speed to friends' 3Gs and 4's on AT&T in multiple locations, and the Sprint 3G network universally sucked. I returned the phone and switched to AT&T, and my network speeds are now 5-10x as fast.

My friends on Sprint that have 4G phones love it - one benefit is that 4G works great in crowded places where 3G networks sometimes get overwhelmed (sporting events, music festivals, etc). If speed matters to you, I would go with a 4G phone if you plan to stick with Sprint; if you want the iPhone, I would recommend switching to AT&T (or maybe Verizon - didn't have any Verizon friends involved in my testing).

On a side note, Sprint and Apple claim to be aware of potential speed issues with the 4s on Sprint's network and claim to be working on it - but that's been the case since the week it was released. So who knows when/if that will be fixed.

10. Scionxa

Sprint released a "fix" today that should help with the dramatic speed issues but from what I'm hearing, it hasn't really helped.

Sprint has lots of plans for network maintenance (they even have a site that shows you if there were/are tower upgrades in your area) but I'm not sure if I'm confident in them right now.

11. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Galaxy S II is the one I would recommend for Sprint. More customization, power, bigger screen, SD card slot, 4g capability (necessary with the way the 3g network is lagging right now) and the fact that you get all of the Sprint software included in your data plan, like Sprint Telenav Navigation, Sprint TV/Radio, TEP protection app, and insurance that covers the phone if lost or stolen ($99 Applecare+ doesn't). You just get more of your money's worth.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i should add, that all the reviews I read between the two basically came to the same conclusion: Both are great phones, so you won't go wrong, but the S2 edged it out.

13. Scionxa

This is a good thing:confused::confused:

lol

14. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

The Navigation app definitely is for being free. Sprint TV has allowed me to catch more than a few NBA games on ESPN while out and about. TEP protection app means you can call and have Asurion track and lock down/wipe your phone if you lose it and can't get to a computer. I only named the apps that are really useful. You can get rid of ones you don't want, but the Iphone gives you no choice, and I mean, you are paying for them. The 3g limitation clinches it for me though. If the 3g network was performing better, it would be closer, but you almost have to have 4g on Sprint at the moment until capacity upgrades are finished.

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Samsung Focus S. My wife just got this and it's the most beautiful and fun to use phone I've seen.

16. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

Since you enjoy your iPad2, just go with the iPhone4s

17. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Lets ask Siri.

[​IMG]

:grin:

18. Scionxa

I left out the TEP protection app so that one is useful IMO. As for Sprint Nav, I think Google Navigation is alot better.
    Never really played with Sprint TV but it bothered me that you have to use it over the cellular network, which as you've stated - sucks. lol
    ;)

19. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

49$ is a great deal. Was that a black Friday deal?

The Galaxy is $199/w 2 yr agreement at Sprint.

20. Scionxa

Carriers screw us over because we're so willing to sign contracts for cheaper phones :p