1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Lawson's Battle with Addiction

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sydeffect, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You know who else drank heavily while avoiding the "alcoholic" label? Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley.

Dunno if you can ever change the NBA culture. Tim Duncan is the black sheep, not the standard. We all need to stop speculating about NBA players' outside lives and just let their play on the court speak for itself.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

What bad games have you seen Lawson play as of now lol

3. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

The entire Dream Team would drink, smoke cigars and play poker til 4 in the morning, then go destroy international teams the next day. Jordan would do the same til 4, then wake up at 7 to go play 18 holes of golf, then show up to the game that day.

Just know when to work hard and when to play hard. Some guys can't so they need help. But asking Harden to stop being 25 is like asking Ricky Bobby to take up yoga and crocheting.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

Some folks said Harden looked fat against Thompson a few days ago in the Drew League, but I did not really see it.

Anyone else?

[​IMG]

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan Member

6. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

aint seeing it, JH needs to stay thick like he has been, its what makes part of his game work, strong, and able to take the hits.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The whole "jim hadrin is fat !" thing comes up every Summer. It's sad and reflects poorly on this board and Rockets fans as a whole.

Anyway decent read on Lawson. I'm still not 100% buying it that he has really, truly recognized that he needs to change, but I hope he has. It will be interesting to see which of his teammates he can lean on to not relapse into that lifestyle.

8. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

He can play basketball, there's no question about that. But in order to do that he needs to fight his inner demons and stop alcohol abuse. I had no idea he had a daughter. He needs to just put the crazy partying, over drinking aside and focus on his family and the rest will take care of itself. It's easier said than done no doubt, but he can do it. Best of luck to Lawson, and hopefully he beats alcoholism if that truly is his addiction.
    Another note, I never understood, why with so much money these high profile athletes do not get a chaperone, get a taxi.. I just don't understand, that way you can party and get home safely at least.

9. ch44

ch44 Member

It also gives both sides a chance to talk extension, but it's a huge benefit for the Rockets.

10. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Ty Lawson is reportedly doing well as he nears the end of his rehab stay in Malibu.
    Lawson has two pending court cases and his status for the beginning of the regular season is still unclear, but his friends and family report that he's doing well in rehab as he attempts to conquer alcohol addiction. "Ty is doing well. Great. Working hard, making progress," a source close to Lawson said. We'll keep an eye on Lawson's progress, but he's worth a mid-round pick in fantasy drafts as long as we continue to hear good news on his rehab.

from rotoworld

11. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

In most states, a second DUI within 5 years of the first is mandatory jail time. A third within 5 years has the potential to be a felony. I think it's a week, with extra days added for an aggravated DUI, like refusing to take the breathalyzer or anything BAC above .15. Maybe his lawyer can find an excuse like illegal stop to have it dropped, but if not, there is just no way around it.

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The concern for the Rockets or for Ty Lawson is never about how well he will be performing when he stop drinking now.

The concern is about whether he can stop drinking or not. There is no more second chance for him.

And the Rockets is betting on he can.

13. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Vin Baker drank away $100 million. Not all of it, of course, but a hefty amount of it.

14. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

What Ty Lawson did has nothing to do with the NBA culture.

He committed a crime, and more than once.

Whether Harden wants to bang any strippers or how much others would like to drink, those are not crime by laws.

The difference is huge.

15. rockets018

rockets018 Member

This article made me even more optimistic about Ty. I think he will get things together and be a monster for us.

The season needs to start tomorrow.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Saw him at the Galleria about three weeks ago and he looked trim and in great shape. I just think Harden has one of those bodies that looks heavier in a uni. No need to panic.

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Need to change title to [Speculation] Harden's Battle with Food Addiction.

18. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

I was opposed to Lawson's acquisition, but, now that he is a Rocket, I fully support his efforts to overcome his addiction. However, having known a number of alcoholics, I have to admit his chances of success are slim.

19. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

Agreed. You can't dismiss Lawson's actions as a part of the NBA culture, youth, etc... or lessen them by comparing him to guys like Harden.
    I have known a lot of guys who drank heavily. It seems like there is a gray area between that and alcoholism but there really is not. It is fairly black and white. If your drinking impacts your life or the lives of those around you, then you have a drinking problem.