1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Numbers are Clear...Goran Dragic is an Overpaid Role Player

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by hotballa, Apr 26, 2016.

1. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Like most Rox fans, I sometimes check up on our former players just for poop and giggles.

This is Dragic (aka the Great Savior of the Rockets) statline from his first full year playing next to a somewhat dominant backcourt player.

Now compare that statline with this one (Lin's first year here with Harden)

I wasnt happy when we let Dragic go for what I thought was an inconsequential extra year, but I don't think his numbers would have been any better than Lin's had he played alongside Harden especially considering Harden is more ball dominant than Wade is. I will give Morey his props on this one.

2. conquistador#11

yeah but the smart poster will tell you, gogi didn't have crazy fans, except that extremely cute folk singer, wonder if she is on suicide watch after this season.

I liked all of them(brooks,lowry, gogi and lin) sad to see them go but it happens.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Dragic's apparent dropoff is very surprising to me. He succeeded in sharing the backcourt with Bledsoe; why can't he do it with Wade? I don't get it. That, and his decline in shooting and defense.

4. Dhoward12

Dhoward12 Member

I thought Dragics best year came when Bledsoe was out...

5. hotballa

If I recall correctly, his best year was when Bledsoe lost like half the season due to some injury. Also, Bledsoe is ball dominant but he isnt on the same skill level as Wade or Harden.

6. hotballa

I direct you to the Jeremy Lin years, when every effing thread in the GARM that mentioned our overpaid role player would inevitably be followed by 10 posts of "oh Gorgi" "I Love Gorgi" "Have my baby Gorgi". It was embarrassing to read those those posts as a Rox fan, and I thoroughly enjoy being vindicated in my opinion of him (I liked him, thought he was better than Lin, but didn't think he was the superstar some of the LOH crowd made him out to be)

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Apparently he came into this season out of shape as well. Sometimes long contracts with new paydays have the ability to do this to a player. Its a natural thing.

There is no question in my mind that he's a much more talented player than Lin. However he doesn't have the edge that Lowry has to have been the best overall fit next to Harden IMO, but they screwed that one up by chasing bigger fish in free agency.

Am I glad we didn't get Dragic when he forced his way out of Phoenix? Kinda. I think much like other guards playing next to Harden, the 2nd best offensive guard on the team would have been put on the bench as a 6th man and that likely wouldn't have fly'ed with Goran... likely why he left Houston off of his list of teams he'd resign with. Smart agent in this case.

I think the Heat will revamp their offense a bit in the offseason and speed things up you'd think. Should have a much better year next year for Gogi at least offensively. If not they might look to trade him and get assets back. I'd expect Philly to take a hard look at him.

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He did much better post all star break then pre, I remember a commentator saying if you look at his monthly splits that he got better every month, which is true.

His post all star break (28 games) numbers are

17.3 ppg, 4.6 rbd, 6.7 ast on .485% with 2.8 turnovers in 33.6 mpg

So that's not bad, he definitely will need to bring that for a full season next year. Although currently in the playoffs, he has regressed to his season averages, so maybe he just has confidence issues or something? Not sure.

9. hotballa

If you take out the year where he played without Bledsoe for half a season, his last 3 or 4 years numbers actually all pretty much are almost on par with the line he put up this year. It's laughable this guy got a max contract. He could show up with 1% boy fat next year and will still put up the same numbers.

10. lionaire

lionaire Member

Used to think it was bc of Miami's playing style but that's not even an excuse anymore. He just sucks now.

11. jeffvangundy

jeffvangundy Member

That's what I thought too, and the many ball handlers that they have.

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Morey haters are gonna be mad you said that.

13. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Dragic used to be good. He's just bad now.

Kinda sounds like Lawson

14. boiler

boiler Member

Goran is not bad. Just overpaid.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I wanted no part of him once he made his salary and team demands last season. I still can't believe Miami traded for him knowing what they'd have to shell out to keep him.

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Dude got his money...why should he try harder? lol

17. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

He is not bad, he is just average. That year when he averaged 20 pts per game was a fluke. I doubt he will average that much ever again. His contract though, is horrible and will get worse and worse.

His game relies on his speed and quickness. He was an one man fast break machine. However, he seems lose his speed a bit this season and, just like Lin, he is not a sharp shooter. His D is always bad. I am just glad he cashed it in when he had the chance.

It was still funny to see how many delusional Rox fans thought Dragic was the perfect fit for Haren and he was the missing piece for championship. LOL.

18. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

This guy has been about average for all the time he has been in the league, he is only great in those delusional fan's minds.

19. mikus

mikus Member

Not to fan the flames here, but I think Lin has actually outplayed Dragic in this series so far. :eek:

20. SunsRocketsfan

I'm a suns fan as well and i've always thought dragic was mediocre and only slightly better than Lin. Both are mediocre players and yes Lin is having a bigger impact on his team than Goran is right now