1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Basketball Sucks

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by v3.0, Mar 12, 2008.

1. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

It's hogging up precious time from NBA talk. I don't give a damn about young zit faced kids where 99% of them won't get a sniff of real basketball: the NBA.

I hate the passing around the perimeter for 40 seconds. I hate Dick Vitale.

I don't give a damn about alumnis following their teams, especially when they know college bball generally suck. I don't give damn about Derrick Rose, OJ Mayo, or whoever the supposed young future NBA studs are, come to the NBA and earn your stripes first, then I'll consider you water cooler talk worthy.

I hate ESPN covering it non stop during this time of year.

College basketball: yawn. They're one step above the WNBA as far I'm concerned.

/rant over

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I am this way with college football, but that's just because I'm not a fan of football in general.

If you are a real basketball fan, give college bball a shot. Because they aren't yet millionaires but have the potential to be if they prove their worth, the kids play with much more heart than their professional counterparts and they don't take plays off (Shaq, LeBron last year). There are no superstars coasting their way through awful seasons for their teams (Vince Carter, Starbury), star guards are not given the call every time they drive (Kobe, Wade), traveling is not uncall-able (Manu), there is no lottery (Pat Riley), and bad defenders are not simply let off the hook (Carmelo Anthony).

Also, the audiences are 100x better (watch how Battier prefaces every comment about the TC crowd with 'I went to Duke, so that's an unfair question'), and the game is in a sense more cerebral and more coach-driven because it's much more difficult for one person to take the game over. The mistakes are more obvious in that sense, but it's also really fascinating to see how teams react to unconventional defenses like the numerous zones and the box and one. Like watching Duke win without a single key player over 6"8, and watching UNC beat them by rotating off of every screen which Roy said he never did before in his entire coaching career.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No defensive 3 and the close 3 point line that ruins the spacing do piss me off. They are moving the 3 back next year. Should help.

4. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

In many ways, the college game is much more entertaining than the pro game.

For instance, there is the closely guarded rule. A player can't just stand there dribbling forever...he has to either shoot or pass w3ithin 5 seconds or turn over the ball.

And if you really like basketball, and think that the college game is one step above the WNBA...then you are a pretty damned closed minded fan.

5. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

I don't get excited about rules and rule differences. I get excited about sports being played at the highest level by the best athletes.

College basketball, for the most part to me, is just 10 no name amateurs running around the court. Sure they run plays like the NBA, sure you have the dunks, the back cuts, the pick and rolls, the fast breaks.

But it doesn't have the same feel as the NBA. It's like watching AHL vs. NHL. I find myself muttering "Kids :rolleyes: " when trying to watch college bball.

What's really pissing me off is that they are delaying the rebroadcast of the Rockets/Hawks game till 12:30a because of some crap college basketball game.

6. Astro101

Astro101 Member

I disagree. I used to be apathetic towards college bball. But I guess since I have had a team to root for the past 4 years, I've grown to just love it. And I've been watching more college than NBA lately. I don't think about, gee, is this player gonna hold out for more money at the end of the season or will this guy get traded? I can just enjoy some pretty innocent basketball. Also, I love great college basketball crowds.

Luckily, the Rockets winning streak has made me more excited and take more notice of the NBA, so I can enjoy both now.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I love college basketball. The players play with more passion, the teamwork is much better than the NBA in general (Rockets excluded), the sport is a purer form of basketball, and there's much more variety in styles of play. Part of the joy of college basketball is that they aren't all NBA-level athletes. (Although they almost all are great athletes.) Full-court press works in college basketball, which adds a dimension to the game. Not every wing player can take it to the basket, so they have to play better team ball.

Most importantly to me, though is that superstars don't get a much easier road in college basketball. The idea of superstar calls in the NBA compounds their advantage over average NBA players. That normally doesn't exist in college basketball.

In the NBA, I watch the Rockets (and Bulls when they're good) with great interest, and good teams and teams with players that I care about with moderate interest. In college basketball, not only can turn on a conference championship game between Mount St. Mary's and Sacred Heart, I find my hanging on every play.

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Too many missed free throws. Their level of talent is far less. I like college football more than the NFL, but college basketball is just so sloppy.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Missed free throws, layups, picks, and the white guy who is good at 3's.

That's college basketball.

10. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

College Basketball is much more exciting IMO. The crowds are into the games WAY more than an NBA arena full of stiffs.

Oh and March Madness >>>> NBA Playoffs

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Do you realize the irony of what you just said here... You don't like college teams because they aren't filled "elite" athletes but you want to watch a Rockets team with no one on it that can be called "elite" (Other than Tmac)

This year our Rockets play just like a college team.

They have one "star" and a bunch of "no name" players who step up to overcome other teams.

College basketball is a more pure form of team basketball than any NBA team. To not appreciate it is to not understand the backbone of the sport itself.

12. Hayesfan

You watch the Rockets and think college players miss too many free throws and layups...

Oh and that White guy who can hit the 3... his name is Bullard or Novak.

13. Buck Turgidson

75 D-I teams shoot FTs better than the Rox.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

College Basketball is not as exciting to me until around this time. The NCAA tournament is the best thing in sports. Nothing really compares to March Madness. Even a casual observer like me loves to see those games. Plus I love watching the great players who could one day become NBA stars, I like to see what they do well and how that will transfer to the next level.

15. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

umm yeah, that's a nice argument to shoot down my remarks. And I understand college bball fans being defensive about the sport.

BUT....there is not any irony in my comments. The Rockets are an NBA team playing at a high level (even when they were struggling last night) with players that have skills worthy enough to stick in the NBA. And I identify with the Rockets players, I know them instantly when they come on the court. College players, "Who the hell is that guy?" I keep looking at college players and keep thinking "You'll never make to the NBA", "Meh you suck, you'll never stick in the NBA". Just because TMac is the only star on the Rockets playing right now (sans Yao who is injured), doesn't mean I don't recognize the other Rockets players and what they bring to the table that majority of the college players can't bring. There is a reason why the Rockets drafted Aaron Brooks and Carl Landry and not other PGs or PFs from the sea of available outgoing college players.

Don't get me wrong, I won't watch the Bucks or Clippers games, or any other crap NBA teams. But at least I'll identify with some of their players and some general tidbits about them so I can keep up with general NBA news. Tyler Hansbrough or OJ Mayo? Meh, lemme see you make it to the NBA first and take your lumps.

Anyways, it's really not fair to compare the Rockets to any college ball for me, everything comes a distant 10th to the Rockets. I could care less about UH or Rice bball, even though they are hometown teams.

I guess I'm more pissed that college bball and March Madness is taking up time when the NBA action is starting to heat up also, not to mention Rockets talk, but lack of national Rockets coverage is nothing new.

PS. I've watched final fours and NCAA title games in the past, and won't mind watching them again if the matchup is good.

Also, I understand the backbone of college bball. It's a bunch of basketball players with majority of them not having that one superior skill to separate themselves from each other so they rely on team basketball to win games. It's what team sports should be but there is something about that one special player that can break down an entire team with his superior talent, ala Kobe or Lebron. Or on the defensive side, when Dream or Deke rejects seemingly sure layups from great ball movement. Only special players can do that.

16. Hayesfan

You missed my point. These Rocket players ARE NOT recognizable to anyone other than people who are fans of the Rockets.

Chuck was not drafted. Shane isn't Rudy Gay. Landry, Luis and Novak... second round picks. Deke is freaking 41 years old... everyone around the league thought he had retired already. Tell me you knew who Luther or Aaron were before they were drafted.

This team is not the Kobes, or the Boston Trio... its a group of players that no one has heard of.

College basketball is more competitive than the NBA in most cases because you never know who's going to win... and you don't rely on one guy to carry your team every night.

To be honest... everything should be secondary to this streak, so I understand your frustration, but don't say it sucks because obviously from your comments you don't understand the beauty of it.

17. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I usually care less about college games as well. I only get excited when my Coogs are playing. But occasionally I would rather watch a decent college rivalry game than the boring Spurs or any other boring lottery team play (Heat, Grizz, BCats, etc).

18. Buck Turgidson

This has happened every single year of your life, yet you're still pissed off about it? boooo****inghoooo.

19. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

No, college basketball is more competitive cause most of the players are about the same nameless wannabes with about the same skillset. If I wanted to watch amateur bball at its highest I'll watch FIBA related bball, even though most are pros. I bet a National team like the Argentine team would kill a top NCAA team like Duke, although most would understand why.

I give more props and respect to the Chuck Hayes and the Novaks because they made it to the big league whereas their college teammates and peers have not. Why? Because they either excel in one major skill or outworked their peers, like Novak in the former and Hayes the latter. Again, you have to consider why these and the other role players from other NBA teams were wanted instead of countless other college players, that's why I respect them more for making it. Sure, alot of them become fat cats and stop working hard, but I find it better water cooler talk to rag on the Kevin Catos and the Maurice Taylors then to talk about #52 on Gonzaga who made a nice few plays in whatever NCAA game played last night.

I'll give one non Rocket example from the Hawks. I saw Mario West last night, I remember him being the NCAA Slam Dunk Champ in the same competition that Aaron Brooks won the 3pt contest for Mens (he lost the overall to a female Boilermaker). West has major hops and athletic like alot of college players, but I respect him more since he made it to an NBA roster and contributing to the team. Otherwise he would have been just another trivia question. I think he has a slim chance of sticking, but you never know.

We'll agree to disagree, I guess one man's trash is another woman's treasure. just kidding
    Yeah you're right. I'll stop complaining about your mom also, she's doing her best.

I guess I shouldn't come down on the college players too much either, they are doing their best despite not being gifted like the NBA players, even though I personally think the overall product is inferior to the NBA.

20. Buck Turgidson

Someday, kid, you'll grow up. Or not.