1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

why tmac's FG% going down?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownbball, Mar 14, 2007.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

since yao has been back, tmac's FG% has been pretty bad. anyone have a reason for it? maybe when yao was out, he felt he needed to carry the team and be at his best, and now that yao is back, he's a little too relaxed? i really dont know, but he needs to pick it back up for this team to get anywhere.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Not enough room to drive in? Coasting till the playoffs? Trying not to get hurt before the playoffs?

I am not worried about Tmac as long as he can stay healthy.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I hope his shooting will improve.We can't win without strong all round performances from him.

4. jordan_123

jordan_123 Member

yep i agree,i think that he want to stay healthy for the playoff.he will be far more agressive in the playoff and thus his fg will be better.do not worry about him if he is healthy in the playoff.

5. redao

redao Member

Now it is Tmac's turn to get injured. He is just trying to delay it.

6. wireonfire

wireonfire Contributing Member

You'll be stoned.

7. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Leave the guy alone until the playoffs, we need him healthy to have a shot in hell of advancing past the first round.

He's coasting and I am glad he is because I am happy with the fifth seed and I could care less if we have homecourt against the Jazz (I think this team tends to focus more when they're on the road; besides, I would rather steal a game on the road than face the prospect of losing one at home).

McGrady and Yao are the LEAST of your worries, especially Mac, he's proven in the playoffs.

We're in the playoffs, we're in as the fifth seed regardless...just relax and let the season wind down.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Question: Why is Tmac's FG% going down?

Answer: Because he is missing a lot lately.

DD

9. egierczy

egierczy Contributing Member

::chuckles::

berry funny

10. rockets fan

rockets fan Rookie

His FG% problem began a few games before the All-Star break. But Yao clogs the paint more than Dikembe because usually brings at least one more player sagging towards him even if he's trying to get out of the way.

11. rocketgo

rocketgo Member

I thnk you provided the right answer.

12. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

He's been shooting at our below 40% for the past month. Nothing new here. He needs to realize that when his jumpshots don't fall, he has to drive to the basket. That would significantly boost his percentage, yet he refuses to do it...

13. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

dont u think yao clogs the paint. his guy is in there, plus him, plus another guy, and usually tracy's guy. that's 4-5 guys in the damn paint.

14. Barkley

Barkley Member

I think you are right. Tracy doesn't have to shoot so much. Now he has Yao in the lineup so he pass the ball to him. But in my opinion Tracy takes too much centestet 3-pointers and jumpers. I hope his FG wil grow up.

15. Rox225

Rox225 Contributing Member

There is an easy way to solve this, especially considering Yao can hit that 15 ft. jumper consistently. JVG should run some sets for McGrady/Yao that have Yao at the free throw line allowing McGrady to drive in a lane that is not congested. If Yao's man comes to help Yao can either roll to the basket or stay at the line for an uncontested jumper.

I'd also like to see them give Yao the ball at the FT line and let him face up. This gives McGrady options to run off of screens looking for the ball or Yao draining some jumpers. Or hell, post Tracy up and let Yao go up high. Yao is not one dimensional and could be used different ways to allow McGrady to get into the paint without so much trouble. It would allow both players to get in grooves when their 'normal' games, Yao's inside game/Tracy's jumpshot, aren't there. It would also open up the defense and spread them.

16. Kindger

Kindger Contributing Member

That "Yao clogs the paint" is totally bullsh!t. Yao's position is alway at the sideline of the paint (note: there are 2 sidelines for each paint area) and he can not stay IN the paint for more than 3 seconds without the ball so he moves all the time. He also constantly comes out to the 3-point line to set screens. When Yao can't get a position, the ball usually will be moved to the other side. When TMAC has the ball and ready to attack, Yao is always out of the paint.

Next time, watch the game carefully, don't just staring at the ball all night long, pay attention to the rotation and position of the other 9 guys on the court without the ball.

17. blazer_ben

blazer_ben Rookie

Hesitation

For someome reason with yao there, he seems to be hesitent. when mac is aggreesive and is not thinking when shooting, it's automatic. see how clutch he was last night. he knew he had to be aggressive.he saved our bottoms last night.

18. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it's going down b/c he likes to jack up ill-advised shots and hardly ever takes it to the rack.

19. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i dont think he's quite comfortable with his shot selection with yao in the lineup. Its a different flow and takes some time to adjust.

and those couple of games where he relied too much on jumpers (when they werent falling no less) didnt help.

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

If you guys are blaming Yao for this, you need to look at some of the games where Yao was out. TMac's shot has been on and off (mostly off) for a while now. The only games where it's reasonably good is when he takes it to the rack. When he relies on his outside jumper and jacking crazy 3's, it has sucked.