1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what did we learn in Summer League?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deckard, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

So what did we learn from Summer League?

So what did we learn? Nick Johnson is either a 2nd round pick who looks good in summer league, and will spend all next season in the D-League, or the next Chandler Parsons. I'm leaning towards the next Chandler Parsons, because I'm trying to forget about the ******* up the road in Dallas, and Nick has impressed me one hell of a lot. Donuts is either a perennial summer league star who somehow loses whatever mojo he found there playing against rookies and bench players when the real season starts, or he's a big man who's slow to develop, but getting there, continuing to show promise. That's what I want to believe, but right now, I have much more faith in Nick Johnson becoming a valuable rotation player for the Rockets. Show me that summer league wasn't a fluke again, Donatas. I wanna believe!

The other guys? Ain't got a clue. Thoughts?

#1 Deckard, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Nick Johnson has a chance to be the next Parsons for sure. Hope he keeps it up. Dmo looks like he has improved on D and in the post. Time will tell if he will bring it to the big stage. Cheers to hoping he does.

3. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

Nick just needs to improve his jumper. He can be really good.

Cannan and Dmo impressed but its summer league.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Tarik Black has some good basketball instincts; zero basketball talent.
    Nick Johnson looks like Lin-lite out there; Lin's good qualities.
    Canaan has the most talent and skill out of anyone there but he takes some jaw droppingly stupid shots.
    No hope for Covington. Complete scrub.
    Motiejunas's play won't translate over to the regular season so no point evaluating him.

Everyone else? Walking piles of garbage.

5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Here are my thoughts: Rockets finally lost in a meaningless game they always seem to win. This bodes well for the upcoming season!

1 person likes this.
  6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

What I learned from the Summer League is that we can't learn too much from the Summer League. :)

Nick Johnson looked pretty good overall. Not sure he has NBA 3 point range yet-- something that can and needs to be worked on and improved. It's hard to be an truly effective NBA perimeter player nowadays without a 3 pointer.

#6 Carl Herrera, Jul 21, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  7. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We still lose leads in crunch-time

1 person likes this.
  8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We learned that DMo is probably the best 4 on our roster, that Nick Johnson has one hell of a bright future ahead of him if he ever learns to knock down the 3 at a reasonable rate, that Canaan isn't afraid to shoot the ball at any point ever, and we learned that the rest of the guys on our Summer League team are trash.

9. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Nick Johnson was a steal as a second rounder. A downright steal.

10. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

Canaan and Johnson can score, but I am not sure we can depend on either to set up the offense at the PG spot.

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Jones is still unfortunately our best 4 by a decent margin. DMo has to do it somewhere other than summer league.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

13. Devious

Devious Member

That none of them can properly finish at the rim.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think the same thing, but he's had problems with turnovers and finding his shot. For some reason, I'm not too worried about it. Canaan had some very impressive games, particularly doing a good job of cutting down on his turnovers. He had 2 in the last game against Charlotte, and none in this game, yet I'm not as excited about him as I am about Johnson. It's freaky. I guess Canaan hasn't "won me over" yet.

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Lots if potential from a few guys. Need to see improvement.

16. newAge_Rockets

I sure hope Mchale lets Nick in the rotation. He'd be a good backup to Bev, and a perfect off guard compliment to James Harden.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree. Jones is a tweener that hasn't quite learned how to play defense and he'd probably be better suited to play SF than PF. He'll make the occasional flashy play be it a dunk or a block, but his overall play isn't very impressive at least in my opinion. Even if Jones learns to play proper defense, he'll never be suited to defend against the bigger PF's in the league and there are several of them in the West.

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Coaching sucks top to bottom.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

I thought Canaan played a little bit blind and could improve his finishing at the cup

20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I don't know. Johnson can be pretty devious scoring around the basket.