1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Trading Deadline - Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CheezeyBoy22, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Max, sincere question: would you have dealt Oberholtzer for the same haul? Because he and Cosart are pretty much interchangeable this year. In that context, to snag two of Miami's three best prospects *and a draft pick* seems like highway robbery, IMO. I know Cosart has a higher upside than Oberholtzer - but there's no guarnatee he'll ever reach it.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not to mention the first comp pick.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you lose me there because Aiken is 17 years old. even the guys we acquired today are closer to the show than he is.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

It shouldn't be... but I think Cosart gets a little more "slack" if he was a Luhnow pick.

And Springer was held down/stashed longer than any future Luhnow pick will end up being held down.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Aw cheering for a class mate was the only reason I sometimes watched baseball.

Have fun in Miami!

How long until kickoff?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He's closer to being an established MLB player than those prospects we got for him are... no guarantees anywhere!

7. MadMax

"this year" is the key point. Cosart is coming off a rookie year with an ERA under 2. I don't think anyone in their right mind would suggest Oberholtzer and Cosart are on the same career trajectory.

Again..I'm tired of the philosophy. I'm just worn out from it. Tired of caring more about talent in Corpus than I do about my team here in Houston. That's gotten real old.

8. MadMax

duplicate..ooops

9. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

This is from Bima, but the same question I have for those that are bemoaning losing Cosart.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>And I also don't get how this trade slows down the Astros' track towards respectability. Are Obie/Peacock/AAA guys THAT far behind Cosart?</p>&mdash; David Weiner (@BimaThug) <a href="https://twitter.com/BimaThug/statuses/494955423879806979">July 31, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

We aren't replacing him with an OF and 3rd baseman. He will be replaced by someone from AAA that evidently they like, as well or better.
    I just don't get it. The game threads when he pitches are littered with people complaining about how he is struggling, now this thread has guys treating him like he is a Cy Young candidate.

Essentially what they have done is trade a position where we have replacements available, for players that can fill areas that were weaker. If you expect that the guys in Corpus are going to be ready in '17 then the guys we got today should be too. You can't compare Cosart's readiness to the returns readiness. It's apples to oranges. You have to look at the whole picture and see there are several players that can step into his position and be as good if not better.

I'm not concerned with losing Cosart he is easily replaceable. I'm also not concerned with setting ourselves back because we got back good to great prospects that should still be able to develop in a reasonable time frame along with the minor league guys everyone is counting on.

10. Baseballa

Baseballa Member

I'd argue that one.

Every time I look at Cosart's numbers, I'm surprised. At no point when I watch him does he seem like a top half of the rotation starter, yet his numbers sort of almost suggest that could be a possibility one day.

Maybe he'll always be one of those guys whose numbers are better than you think, but of all the guys we could have traded I was hoping Cosart would be the one. I just don't trust that he has a big future.

11. MadMax

I'm tired of waiting. That's all. This trade was more of the same...more of kicking the can down the road. I'm tired of it. Thought it was possible we might acquire something we in Houston could be excited about...something that's worth the money I spend on tickets. Oh, well. More #assets, right? Hopefully one day these GM's can actually build a real team with all the little assets they assemble.

12. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

How long will Houston wait for the Astros to win it all?

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Asset City Baby

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I know where you are coming from but keep in mind, we could very well make trades using 3 or 4 minor league prospects at a time for starters or bats in 2015, 2016, or 2017 with all of our minor league depth. We are also drafting college bats and pitchers that are refined and shouldn't take long to get up to the big leagues.

Next year's draft could have some college arms or bats instead of drafting for high upside high schoolers that could take 3-4 years at the very least before reaching the majors.

I don't think Luhnow is continually going to recycle prospects for no reason. He will strike eventually. It is tough to be patient but what is the point of getting a borderline all-star bat at this point in time that is blocking a player with "potential" that could be used as trade bait this offseason or next year, etc?

15. MadMax

all Sandlot references get rep from me..soo...repped.

16. MadMax

Ok..just let me know when I should start paying attention then..when we'll start concerning the Major League franchise here in town with actually building a Major League team. Looking forward to it.

17. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Serious question.

With Cosart, when did you expect them to realistically compete??

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

or 2014

19. Nook

Nook Member

Cosart had an era of almost 4.50 this year... 14 base runners per 9 innings and his advanced statistics show that he has been very lucky. I like his physical tools a lot but Cosart hasn't really proven he is a long term good major league pitcher.

20. MadMax

I don't know. But when he came up last year, we all envisioned he would be part of a rotation when they were winning. Seems like that was a pretty common thought. So he struggles a bit through half a season, and he's gone.

Now I'm not sure who in this rotation will be here when this team will start winning. And frankly, I don't have a lot of faith anymore in them winning anything anytime soon, so you're right. Trade Cosart....hell trade Altuve. See what you can get for Springer.