1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(fansided) Rockets Miscuses are blessings in disguise

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kjayp, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Huh no discussion of the bench...maybe the author like Morey forgot about it?

2. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Best post of this offseason joke.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's because you're talking about 2 separate things. The Rox team as a whole needs defense but Bosh might not be worth the max since he doesn't want to bang inside and his 3 pt shooting isn't amazing. Maybe you should read the article again lol.

Anyway I like the optimistic lean to it but I doubt we will be better than last season, in fact my opinion is the team will perform more or less at the same level, Asik was moping at the end and Lin was tired out but at the beginning of the year the bench brigade led by Lin was tearing up the league with a blistering 0.60 TS%.

On paper the Rox looks solid but as the season wears on and given Mchale's tendency to rely on his starters and burn them out way too quickly I think the bench's weak play could cost this team some games. We need better decision making from Mchale and a couple of the bench guys to step their game up, specifically DMo and Canaan. Maybe Dorsey and Johnson can step up as well.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This will probably sound stupid, but here goes.

The one thing that I really bothers me is that 1st round pick that went out with Lin.

I'm not the biggest fan of the guy, but that pick would be extra trade ammo, and Lin's salary could have been useful for matching as an expiring around the deadline. The tradability of the assets we sent out is going to increase as time runs off Lin's contract, while the TPE we got back becomes less and less useful as it gets closer to expiring. Maybe Bev gets hurt the first week, Lin steps up, and someone wants him to bolster scoring off the bench at the deadline. And at worst you go one more season with Lin backing up the point, and let him walk away in FA. Maybe get a 2nd round pick in a SnT with some team that wanted to sign him to a mid level range deal but save their actual mid level for someone else.

A bunch of stuff, like Miami upping its offer on Bosh, and Cuban signing Parsons to a cutthroat deal pissed me off at the time and couldn't have been helped, but that Lin deal was something completely within the Rockets control. Maybe Les really didn't want to pay that $15mil under any circumstances, or maybe the Lakers demanded a firm commitment. But right now I really don't see what was gained. They don't seem like they have that TPE set aside for anything specific right now. It seems like a straight up negative asset salary dump that wasn't needed.

5. calcium

calcium Member

Ditto. Was a very bad trade. The timings were not good at all.

From a purely business point of view, the consensus is that we pretty much got royally screwed in the Lin trade.

Of course, there are the very vocal few here that got some emotional
    satisfaction from the trade, but it's not just good business to let emotions
    affect one's good judgement, no?

Or paraphrasing a well respected and much loved NBA coach, emotions dont
    get you trade assets or flexibility.

6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

fwiw I seem to recollect seeing that it had been the Lakers that pushed the timing - as they wanted to move on to free agency and needed the deal consummated so they knew where they stood and moves to make....
    The tidbit that I question (and please let me know if its been addressed elsewhere...) Why LA? We heard deals were in place to move Asik and Lin as needed, I always assumed we were gonna ship him off to Philly so Hinkie could continue to tank and gather assets (ie pick we sent out..) while letting Lin expire.... But we send Lin (and the pick) within our conference? Obviously it would e more advantageous to send the benefit to Philly rather than LA... Was Phily worried Lin would add to their win count? Did the owner not wanna pay the poison pill on Lin? and if we couldn't swing a deal through our boy in Philly (who has cap space to burn and is collecting assets..), then maybe LA was the only option and t was make the deal now or keep Lin for the whole year...

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Because there's no way Hinkie was going to take Lin for a pick worth **** all. Philly's own 2nd rounder is worth more than that pick we sent.

8. rcketsfan1

rcketsfan1 Member

Thank you.

I can guarantee you the Rockets will be better this year than they were last year.

Parsons is a good player, but I don't think he's better than Ariza. Asik is a really good defensive player, but is horrible offensively, and I don't think he effectively complemented Dwight coming off the bench. Jeremy Lin is very streaky player and will be replaced by Nick Johnson / Isiah Canaan no problem.

9. "Snosrap

"Snosrap Member

West, inexperience/unproven bench@ nba level, mess up chemistry, milk hair!, I say weaker than last year

10. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

having a wing who plays defense might be the key.

parsons and harden were a huge hole in the perimeter defense last year.

wouldn't be surprised if the rockets do better. they shipped off the little kids (lin, parsons, and asik). a new mentality. no players are left from morey's phase one rebuild.

we shall see.

11. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Sorry, but that article is being way too kind to the Rockets. You can't look at these things in a vacuum. They got worse while other teams in the West either stood pat or improved. Sure, come February or next summer, Daryl Morey could like like Nostradamus if the Rockets' "flexibility" allows them to acquire someone who puts them over the top, but as this offseason showed, that's a huge if.

12. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Op neglected to note that the article was written by Darnell Murray

13. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Tha same thing get said AGAIN a different way. I'll be glad when the season starts.

14. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Did anyone else catch this? I though it was pretty creative. (It's based on the famous quote, "Houston, we have a problem" except that the author changed it up to relate to the story.) Call me old fashioned but I like neat things like this!

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I totally and unequivocally agree. There's a whole thread for complaints here: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=256904, for all the good it will do you.

16. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This. First rounders in the mid to late 20 range aren't anything special. Hardly something I consider much of an asset. Hell we just saw OKC push their late 1 round pick to not sign with the team. That guaranteed salary slot for a guy with little chance of becoming anything is seen as a negative to certain teams.

Like you said, an early 2nd is worth much more than a late first these days.

17. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

MMMMMMMMM gave me the warm fuzzies!

I've been contending everything in this, it's not that gloomy guys!

18. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Asik and Lin had to be traded either way.

I do somewhat agree that the whole situation could be a blessing like the Pau and Nene situation. Bosh and Parsons were to be both overpaid. Not many people can argue that.

19. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

You are absolutely right. The trade was absolutely terrible. Anyone that doesn't get this, frankly, just hates Lin, beyond reason, and can't evaluate rationally.

Lin is (with almost 100% certainty) a better player for 2014-15 than anyone we have on the roster (and who we would still have) currently.
    Lin (with his salary vs a TPE that can't be combined or exceeded) plus our 1st round pick is much more valuable in a trade.

The Lin trade was awful and there is no way around that. Hopefully it doesn't hold the Rockets back from anything in the future and isn't too detrimental to the team in the present. The only good thing about it was jettisoning the LOFs.

20. Raven

Raven Member

The starting five is not the problem, and the starting five is not going to doom the Rockets' season before it begins.