1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Black Dallas man exonerated for raping white teenage girl after serving 12 year prison sentence

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Air Langhi, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In America . . . .You only get as much Justice . . . . as you can afford!

Rocket River

2. Nook

Nook Member

Yup.

If you are an attorney and you have a girl that is indeed raped (and there is no contesting she was raped) and you have her pointing the finger at someone and identifying them as the rapist...... you are going to have a very, very hard time getting a not guilty verdict... especially 25 years ago.

3. False

False Member

Yeah, it is hard for anyone but EVEN harder for minorities. The disparities between races in charging, pleas, conviction and sentencing are that much worse. Conviction rate for rape of white girls is actually higher for everyone.

Racial Disparity in Sentencing: A Review of the Literature

4. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Some of you guys are ultra-defeatist. The guy made his own decision. I mean, if someone accused me of this crime I would definitely want a chance to have the prosecution prove their case against me.

She picked the dude from a photo lineup. Weak. I can't believe some of you would choose to cite the girl as some kind of criminal. The dude was just straight up ignorant for giving up, unless there were incriminating factors surrounding his relationship with her.

5. Nook

Nook Member

There are many issues that play into charging, pleas and convictions. To simply say "minorities" is a cop out. Finances play a huge part, as does connections, education, where you live and how well you testify.

While being a minority is certainly not beneficial if you are facing criminal charges, it isn't quite as simple as you think. This is coming from someone that is an attorney and has prosecuted folks years ago.

6. Nook

Nook Member

I think you are being too harsh on him. You don't know what his educational background is, what his IQ is, or what priors he may have had.

Also, he had his own attorney telling him to plead guilty.

He probably thought he could do 12 years rather than die in prison.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it wouldn't be unfair to question the man's education and intelligence seeing as how he ended up back in jail for failing to register as a sex offender at least according to the story. If I just served 12 years, I don't think I'd let something that ridiculous get me tossed back inside.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The article said he was 'living' at a motel, as was the girl. That's not a lot to go on, but probably neither party was of any great means if they're living in a motel.

9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

keep telling yourself that.

Seems you are ignorant of the plights of minorities in this country both historically and currently.

10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

You spent much time in prison for crimes you didn't commit?

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

No Comment

Rocket River

12. False

False Member

It is not a cop out. Study after study has found that controlling for other variables, issues of race figure into many aspects of our criminal process. To ignore race is to put your head in the sand. That is not to say that race is the determinative factor in any specific situation; however, on average it has a important effect.

You are right, it isn't so simple. That's why I cited to a review of literature that gets at the nuance that would be missed in simply anecdotal experience. Simple anecdote of personal experience whether it be from defendant, prosecutor, or defense attorney will miss out on the big picture.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Do you just like to argue with yourself?

You basically answered your own question when you said race isn't necessarily the determining factor... No one ever said race wasn't a factor to consider.... It is one of a number of factors at play.

14. False

False Member

I never said that race was the determative factor nor did I pose any questions. I was adding on to what you said earlier:

I added the following:

I was agreeing with what you said and expanding on it.

15. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Or to not have every moment of intimacy for the rest of your life tainted by the memory of rape and probable threat of death from a faceless stranger.