1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what did we learn in Summer League?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deckard, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

And I am. I don't know about the rest of you! :-D-

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Nick Johnson was a steal in 2nd round. Great court sense, good vision and passer, position defender with quick hands for the steal and ability to block shots (more in Orlando). Good ball handler and decent scorer. Biggest weakness as many mentioned is his 3pt shooting. If he improves that I could see him getting minutes this year and eventually becoming our starting PG by YR 2.

DMo usually does well when he gets a chance. Problem is we rarely get him the ball in the low post where he is deadly both in SL and big league. He's a very good team player (passes, takes charges, etc.) and an improving defender/rebounder. We just need to give him some minutes/touches.

Canaan is a solid shooter and good scorer. Not convinced he's got the rest of the game to be a back-up to Bev. He's more of an instant offense off the bench. Need to see how he does in camp, but he's certainly more confident this year.

Covington is a scrapper, but has seemed to regress horribly. He turns the ball over every drive and has been very inconsistent shooter. Not sure what his deal is.

Geron Johnson reminds me a little of a younger Bev. Has a little dawg in him and would probably benefit from 1-2 years overseas. He's a little mechanical, but he sure tried hard.

Andre Dawkins isn't afraid to shoot the 3-ball. He's definitely a kid that could develop with some D-League time. Needs to work on other aspects of his game, but he has the body for a back-up 2.

Marty Leunen wasn't even on my radar, but dude knocked down a lot of threes and played better defense than I thought he could. Not athletic enough for the bigs, but certainly played decent in SL.

Tarik Black did a decent job on the boards and playing defense, but had a terrible post-up game. Needs to go overseas and hone his skills, and then bring that big body back and give it a shot.

Luke Hancock was a great college shooter, but his feet look like they're coated in cement. He wasn't terrible, I just don't see him making it in USA, maybe overseas.

Miro Bilan was intriguing in the Orlando SL. Dude had a knack for making plays and had some nice skills for a big man. Not sure he can make that translate to the NBA, but he was fun to watch.

3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Things he did well did not show up in box scores. He was a pest defensively and disrupted passing flow and his wingspan allowed him to get his hands on a lot of balls. His offense was head scratchingly dissappointing, especially his catch and shoot & hot garbage was an apt description of his dribble drive (as he always forgot his luggage throughout the tournament).

4. Exiled

Exiled Member

Guys like Cannon ,DMo&Conv. Are good if u let them play some minutes without the pressure of being cut-benched etc.

5. Rokman

Rokman Member

When he won the D-League MVP of the All-Star game I couldn't believe they gave it to him. He looked lost, lethargic and blew a number of point blank shots at the basket... it was pretty sad. It just went to show the level of competition in the D-League...and now we know his real abilities though I wish him the best and am pulling for him.