1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AFC Championship

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigtexxx, Jan 22, 2006.

1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Big Ben is once again looking like a seasoned veteran in carving up the Broncos.

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

...and their defense is playing great.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Kubiak might as well start assembling his staff for next year at halftime.

4. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Total Domination

... and Jake the Snake is back to his old self. I knew he wasn't for real.

5. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

The one good thing to come out of this game is we(TEXANS) can finally go ahead and assemble our coaching staff. :)

6. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I hope he throws that first half gameplan away. Don't bring that crap to Houston.

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

No gameplan is going to work if you turn the ball over twice and the other team scores off of both of them.

Denver players just aren't executing and aren't taking care of the ball.

8. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Aside from Jake throwing the ball away, the Broncos offense looked okay. Stalled in the red zone, but as the commentator mentioned, they were moving the ball.

David Carr kind of reminds me of Jake Plummer, for some reason.

9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Shanahan probably has more to do with the game-plan/play-calling than Kubiak.

Kubiak functions more as a QB coach on the Broncos.

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Players? You mean Jake. He is the one who fumbled and also threw that god awful INT.

They were making nice yards running the ball, but like the Colts, they want to throw the ball. How hard is it to figure out, you RUN on blitzing defenses.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A Pittsburgh-Carolina Superbowl would be really intriguing... they would matchup very well, and I'd expect the game to be pretty damn entertaining.

12. mleahy999

mleahy999 Member

Did anyone expect any less from Jake Plummer? He's no good. Denver is going to be in a world of hurt counting on his arm to bring them back.

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

is pittsburgh the king of dodging bullets or something?

bettis almost fumbles the indy game away but somehow the db turns himself around enough that big ben makes a miracle tackle.

then to start this game ben throws what should be a pick, instead the ball gets batted into the air and turns into a first down catch.

then they seem to fumble but a replay somehow overturns it.

then ben throws what should be another int and the db drops it (and almost gives it to the receiver).

and now they're just rolling them. and i didn't realize plummer now sucks b/c his team only got to the afc championship game. talk about just waiting to hang a guy for anything. great first 17 games, but i'm afraid you actually suck now. hard to blame him for the fumble when he was already eluding one guy with a free shot and then a second guy with a free shot comes in and nails him.

hopefully the nfc game gives us a little entertainment.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Pitt's run is reminding me of the Astros last year... a team that's not supposed to be there, and is finding a way to win.

15. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

so you're saying they're gonna get shutout in the superbowl?

16. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm convinced that David Carr is the second coming of Jake Plummer. They seem so similar in every way. They both are fairly mobile, make random mistakes all the time, and have less than ideal throwing motions.

17. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Plummer really has been awful today

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

David Carr has never had even close to half the time to make the random mistakes that Plummer makes.

He may be the second coming of Plummer once he gets a decent offensive line, but until then... you can't really compare the two.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Nantz and Simms have been awful today... I guess nobody told them that it wouldn't be Pats vs. Colts.

20. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

The Steelers are better than both the Panthers and Seahawks, imo... but they've got to overcome Bill Cowher. I've never seen a more conservative coach in the second half with the lead. They did so many great things to get in front... the aggressive playcalling with playaction, and in the second half, it's generally been generic dive up the middle on first and second downs and only throw in situations where it's obvious to the defense that they will throw.

The one time they opened up in the second half with a pass, they completed it for about 20 yards... but they haven't done it since. It hasn't cost them these last two weeks because of Mike Vanderjagt and because the lead was 24-3 this week (and it's still not over). But, if they have a 14-3 lead at the half in the Super Bowl, they could get in trouble playing like this in the second half... once you lose rhythm and momentum, it can be hard to get it back. They're a great team, and deserve props for their play today... but their lack of aggression the last two weeks after getting a lead does worry me a bit.