1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[610] Daryl Morey Interview (4/30)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Thanks for the heads up.

I'm listening to them talking about Jon Kitna (former Bengal and Lion - obviously played on some "quality" teams! LOL) ;)

3. bravo six

bravo six Contributing Member

Thanks for the info and link.. I can actually get to that one through the company firewall :eek:

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Recap s'il vous please. Thanks...x...

5. Hayesfan

They just had Jason Friedman on too.

I will try to do a Morey recap while they talk.

6. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

He is on now

7. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

omg von wafer might be out tonight???????????????

8. Rudyball

Rudyball Contributing Member

DANG!! Morey just said Wafer would likely be out tonight. Apparently he injured his back in the last game and is supposed to be evaluated this morning.

9. Hayesfan

Host: How do you feel Daryl?

DM: Important to win, focus of him and the players with a high amount of urgency to win tonight.

Host: Portland gaining experience and make step next year.

DM: Young and they are well coach and fight. Big name players in Roy and Rudy who has played on a big stage. Rockets have a few veterans but also some young players behind our vets.

DM: Luis has been the MVP after Yao - comes every night plays hard and gets the job done no matter what the team needs.

Host: No Brent Barry? Why?

DM: May see him tonight, Von may be out - hurt his back in the last game, so Brent will get some pt and more Kyle Lowry.

Host: Yao's minutes

DM: Doesn't concern him, because during the regular season they have kept his minutes down - so that he could carry us in the playoffs. Figure he can play in the low 40s as long as it wasn't for the whole season.

Host: Ron?

DM: Defensively, Portland set some questionable screens up high causing Ron some issues - mixing it up now around the screen over and under. Ron done a good job to pass - hopefully will start getting shots to go in.

Host: Hornets

DM: Surprised if you had asked him at the beginning of the season, but the writing seemed to be on the wall during the season - having chemistry issues and Chandler likely isn't completely healthy

Host: Orlando - No Dwight, No Lee

DM: Sort of similar to us losing Von or Deke. Gortat is a good player though, mobile and does good things defensively. Have to have their A game to win tonight without Dwight.

Host: In Philly 3-2 Orlando leads series

DM: Really hard for Magic to win in Philly. Placed his Coach of the Year vote for Stan

Host: Dallas/San Antonio

DM: Us portland and Dallas hottest teams in the West going into the playoffs. Four of the Dallas players are playoff tested and since the Spurs were hurt DM figured that they would take at least two.

More coming...

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Just said they are happy with AB's play, and that him being aggressive is what the Rockets need.

DD

11. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

BS. How can you be happy with your PG jacking up 20 shots and not getting the ball to our main guys?

12. Hayesfan

Host: AB 20 shots not best offensive game - okay if he's hot, but need to get other people more shots?

DM: He has to be aggressive... that leads him to making good plays for other people. Has more good nights than bad.

Host: Portland will run more?

DM: Not really, they don't push the pace in general. Neither team does that. We are trying to push the ball up more to get us more time to get the ball to Yao.

Caller: Situation with fronting Yao with no one behind him.. why don't they try to lob it between him and the goal - seems like they don't try that.

DM: We think it's a pretty low percentage pass - and turnovers are such a big deal in the playoffs... Has trouble when there is an athletic guy on him and most of the series they have had a guy behind him as well. We'll throw it if it's wide open but it's a hard pass.

Caller: Ron being the point guard? Over dribbling.

DM: Best on the block and best on cuts with a head of steam - trying to stop that bringing the ball up. Such a competitor

Reason you see him dribble so much, is when he's trying to go one on one, he tries to get the defender leaning and then he just carries you to the hoop to try and power the ball up. He has trouble getting them leaning because they are athletic. Encourage him to move the ball - done it pretty well in the post season.

OchoTexto: Bad news about Von - didn't read that in the prophecy - talk about Yao's lack of calls - we all know he gets beat up a lot, part of why this team hasn't gotten over the hump, going on his whole career - at which point as a GM does say I need to go in a different direction

DM: try to stay out of trouble - know that we are doing everything through the right channels to get him taken care of

Caller: How much of a disadvantage is it to be the only team that hasn't clinched?

DM: Can't do much about it other than win tonight. Just trying to focus on winning this series and then worry about the Lakers.

#12 Hayesfan, Apr 30, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  13. DaDakota

Because he is being aggressive......and that is what they need....if the rest of the players would CUT when he beats his man, we would be killing them right now.

Artest and Battier being rooted to the 3 point line is a problem.

DD

14. DaDakota

The guy talking about posting Scola is an EXCELLENT caller, he is talking ball and how you invert the offense by posting Scola.

He gets basketball.

DD

15. DavidRocket

DavidRocket Member

Great work Hayesfan. We really appreciate the recap. So how do you think Wafer being out will affect the Rox chances of closing it out tonight?

16. DaDakota

DM : "At this point in his career, Ron is more of a 3/4 player rather than a 2/3 player"

All the more reason NOT to resign him.......let him walk.

DD

17. Hayesfan

Caller: Great Job. Why the over the top pass such a low percentage pass? Got Oden hanging on him but doesn't pass him the ball? Ron post up vs trying to dribble?

DM: Hakeem was like an athletic power forward a lot different to pass to him than Hakeem... because of the people guarding him are more athletic than he is like during a jump ball.

Like Ron in the post, mix it up with him and yao.

Caller: Talking gibberish about possible plays to get Yao open - Ron is a power small forward.

DM: Ron more of a 3-4 but he's average rebounder they are trying to get a pick and roll on the weak side. Overloading the strong side, so they are trying to get a weak side pick and roll.

AND that's all they wrote....

DM: Big game, sold out, some tickets may get turned back in, but if you go and put a deposit down for next year you get tickets for tonight (maybe) and definitely the next round.

18. Hayesfan

LOL he wasn't getting his point across very well.. I felt like he needed a white board and a marker.

And now I better get back to work.

19. DaDakota

He was perfectly understandable to anyone who has played or coached the game, I know you understood him Hayes.

This is what drives me nuts in the GARM, few people here comprehend what is really going on out there...they see AB dribble through the lane and b**** about him not passing the ball.

Meanwhile they miss the fact that as Portland rotates to stop Brooks, none of the other Rockets are moving to open spots and making themselves available targets in the midrange or in a cut down the lane for Brooks to pass the ball.

Brooks is doing what he is supposed to do, the 3 players who are not moving well right now, are Battier, Artest and Yao......any of them should be MOVING off the ball and giving Brooks a good target.....especially Battier and Artest.

If they stay rooted to the 3 point line or on the other low block, it is not taking advantage.

Drives me nuts....move your bodies....

DD

20. Hayesfan

I will admit I was trying to catch up typing while he was speaking, I probably would have had no problem understanding him if I was listening more attentively to what he was saying.

I heard these things when he was speaking. Load up Scola on the post on one side and Ron on the other with Yao at the top of the key... then have Ron as a rebounder so Scola can get one of his dipsy do post plays to the basket.

I will have to listen to him again when the podcast goes up.