1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Some dangerous signs for Rockets about Lakers ,Spurs and Warriors

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by landoo, Feb 4, 2008.

1. landoo

landoo Member

Some dangerous signs for Rockets about Lakers ,Spurs and Warriors

Yes, we know that

Gasol -----Lakers
    Damon S---Spurs
    Webber----Warriors

The three teams have made some trades ,and get more stronger for themselves ......

But , what about Rockets?

Rockests are better than Dec.2007...

But i think we should search for a Center player....when Yao have rest in the game......That would be much better.

Go ahead....Rockets.

2. bingfei236

bingfei236 Member

finally, RA plays yao too many minutes will pay off,

yao has already showed the signs, he is too tired.

depite we have been played well, one thing bother me, why we play so hard on every game, come on pacers? bucks? we should blow them out.
    look at jazz, both teams are rolling, but so different.

3. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

"On paper," those three teams look better. But "on paper" virtually everybody predicted the Rockets were supposed to be a 60 win team this season.

Dallas always looks good ..."on paper."

Proof is in the pudding.

The current team has the ability to make a deep run if they continue to gel and build chemistry.

"On paper" there is still nobody in the league that can deal with Yao and TMac while they are both on the court. If they can just turn that corner to both play at a high level at the same time, I like our odds. Also Scola needs to consistently hit that 15 foot baseline jumper.

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I think Morey will put some sort of trade together before the deadline to help "catch up" with the trades the other teams have made. It won't be such a drastic trade, but I expect a decent role player to be coming in. I have my fingers crossed that we're taking Mike Miller...

Cod

5. Htown57

Htown57 Member

Those teams all did get better, however, we've been playing better. The Lakers will be tough, but i dont really know if Golden State and SA will be substantially improved. If Morey see's something he thinks can help us, he'll pull the trigger.

However, one of the ABSOLUTE WORST things a GM can do is start making moves like he's in an arms race. This leads to hasty deals that morgatge the team's future and are based more off panic and need then value added.

Our biggest issue right now is chemistry and buying into the system. This team is starting to look like they "get it". Seven straight road wins. six straight wins overall with T-mac and yao both playing. Wins over portland and SA. These are all good signs. We have the talent. It just needs to come together. I say don't rock the boat unless someone is giving up a home run deal.

6. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

you forgot 1 significant addition, Korver to Jazz.

But i really doubt the significance of Webber at a GS jersey. It looks to me that the only thing he brings to GS is that he push up the average height of the team.

And i cant see how stoudamire will improve the spurs, as i doubt he will see court action during playoff. His just a stop gap measure while parker is still injured.

Talking about the GS, what are the chances of Rox trading for matt barns? Long athletic, good defensive player and can hit the open 3.

7. Seth

Seth Member

For what i´ve read from Memphis and the owner, all it takes with them are expiring contracts.

What do we have to take Miller out of their hands??

Off Topic on:

Remember on the FIBA tournament last year? many people was thinking "WTF is Miller doing on that USA Team he is nowhere at the same level of his teammates", well i think Miller is doing a great case for him to be part of the team at Beijing.

Off Topic off.

8. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Excluding the two stars, the Rockets have no trade commodities other than Kirk Snyder's $3.3m expiring contract. That's nowhere close to Miller's $8.3m. MEM is in full salary dump mode so it's doubtful that they want the multi-year contracts of Battier or Mike James.

IOW, at this point in the season Yao and TMac are not trade factors, Battier and James have the next highest contracts at 5.8m and 5.6m and I doubt Morey will EVER trade Battier. Further $Ball (and to some extent the LTax) won't let the Rockets take a risk on a long contract.

As far as trades this season? You're down to Snyder. You can uncross your fingers at any time. :D

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Tradeable commodities on the Rockets outside of Yao and Tmac

Easy to trade:

Battier
    Snyder
    Bonzi
    Head
    Scola
    Landry
    Brooks
    Novak

Medium to luke warm - based on other team's needs

Rafer
    James
    Francis
    Hayes

The Rockets have pieces to trade, it is dependent upon the other team being a willing partner and the Rockets giving up value.

DD

10. bjshot

bjshot Member

Bonzi has expired contract too about 2.5 ml. Rockets can add some cash and picks. Maybe head, but not rookies.

11. ferrarif1286

ferrarif1286 Member

LAL is not really not a team to mess with when bynum returns to where he left off. They will have twin tower down low, Odom, who is also taller than your average SF and the worlds best player in Kobe bryant plus shooters around them and the Zen master sitting on the bench. Dont think the webber and DS addition would help GS and SAS that much thou

12. acshen

acshen Contributing Member

the webber trade is useless. webber is washed up. It makes us way more effective against GS, IMO

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

What about Bonzi?

Also, what happens in a buyout? If Steve were to be traded, then bought out, would anything count against next year's cap?

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The Gasol to LA raping/trade is the only one of those three moves that really has me worried.

Stoudamire will play the same exact role in SA as Brent Barry already does as the first PG off the bench that will do nothing but shoot three pointers.

And Webber? We'll see....All I know is he's never not started a game in his life and all of a sudden he'll be asked to come off the bench and play minutes that aren't guaranteed. He's older, slower and comes with a TON of baggage. I can see this move easily backfiring.

I do understand the point though. I agree with that we're a roster tweak or two away from having what we need to potentially make the playoffs and hold our own against a top playoff seed.

15. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

GSW with CWebb = GSW without CWebb
    Spurs with DS = 20% improvement
    Lakers with Gasol = 60% improvement

16. Classic

Classic Member

add the Korver deal = 50% improvement

If Memphis is in full salary dump mode we've got
    Bonzi, Head, Snyder
    That is almost a package in itself and Francis could probably be moved for Mike Miller. I'm sooo wishing on this spare parts for a bonafide 6th man/3rd scorer.

17. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Jazz are 14-2 since Korver trade

18. GATER

No they do not. You're not using your brain. You're looking superficially at a roster and assuming the sheer magnitude of contracts equals something. It doesn't. You are using the lunacy of the Garnett and Gasol trades as a basis for it to happen here. It won't.

The Rockets do not have enough high-value expiring contracts to amount to anything.

First and foremost...Morey will NEVER trade his sacred cow Battier. Never going to happen.

Secondly, the bottom 5 players from your "easy to trade" group barely gets to 1 MLE contracted player. Find a team needing to fill 5 roster spots.

Scola = 2.9m
    Head = 1.1m
    Brooks = .97m
    Novak = .7m
    Landy = .4m

Further, 3 (or 4 if you count Luther) of those 5 are rotational players...after the learning curve to get to where they are now, do you think Adelman wants to lose 3-4 that know the system and rotate new players. Personally, I doubt it. And if it's Scola or Landry, you move Hayes higher into the rotation. Scola and Landry are a nice duo...but you're not going to be able to turn them into a Top Tier PF or PG. Try it... Scola + Snyder's expiring = One MLE player. Find one that's available.

Further, Wells won't net any skills better than his for his $2.5m. Plus, Wells and Snyder combined barely make MLE $. Those are your expiring.

So if an MLE is $5.5m...what good does $5.5m expiring do for a team that is already way over the cap? Historically there are usually only 3-4 teams under the cap every summer. Those 2 or 3 teams plus MEM is your market for Wells + Snyder. Find me the takers.

Hayes (1.8m) and Francis (2.4m) are virtually untradable. You will never be able to turn them into anything of consequence. Hayes only works in JVG's system and Francis' career is pretty much overwith. He's filler that someone will waive. Again, you're back to the 2-4 teams that are looking for even more cap space than the $10m-15m they already have.

James has 2 more years after this for $12.5m. Alston @ 2 more seasons for $11+m. Bear in mind...we traded Alston for James and James for Juwan. There's the market for this duo.

Bottomline...I'll be really and truly amazed if Daryl and his $Balls can do anything more than move Snyder.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Gater, you can package several together to make a trade.

You don't need to do 1 for 1 trades come on.

The Rockets have valuable pieces to deal, it depends on a willing partner and away you go.

You said they had NO tradeable pieces, I pointed out that we have several tradeable pieces.

Do I think we will make a trade, probably not.

DD

20. GATER

Hooked on Semantics are we? :)

Yes, you are correct..they have players that other teams might want...Scola, Landy, maybe Snyder expiring, maybe Luther.

But, as you seem to agree "tradeable" and "likely to happen" are far apart.