1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

This IS the most important offseason in Rockets history..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ROXRAN, Jun 11, 2001.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Here's why:

1. The ramifications of the strong possibility Hakeem could leave..

2. The fact Steve Francis, our new "franchise player" is entering his third season and should be entering superstar status as his improvement continues..coupled with tag team partner, Cuttino's improvement. I truly feel our backcourt duo will only get that much better!!!

3. Last season showed we are on the rise.

4. The team has several enticing options to improve. The decision involved could be the difference in regular deep playoff team with championship showings or consistent 1st round and out or late lottery team for the next several years.

5. We may be able to get rid of Cato this year!!! -

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

2. ROXRAN

O NO! sorry for the double post.

------------------
    Rarely is the question asked: Guns kill squirrels than REDRUM to fools across the nation?

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Apparently it was important enough for you to post twice. [​IMG]

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

4. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

No Fair!! Does ROXRAN get credit for four posts?

------------------
    "If you don't understand it,
    don't try to understand it."
    -Carl Everett

5. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

What is frightening is that there are so many possibilities. I can imagine the Rockets getting much better or much worse.

Best Case Scenario:
    1) resign Hakeem for exception, 2) backcourt adds consistency and reliability to their talent, 3) Rockets continue love fest, 4) sign big FA and trade up to draft a ten year starter, 5) dump Cato's salary for valuable bench player

Worst Case Scenario:
    1) Hakeem leaves, 2) backcourt hits the wall because they don't play defense, 3) Rockets get grumpy because of lack of improvement, 4) sign mediocre FA and have an unlucky draft, 5) Cato stays, and since Hakeem is gone he becomes one of the worst starting centers in the west

6. ROXRAN

For the record, this is the good post; the other one is an evil dopplerganger or something...I don't know what the hell I did on that, ..I think Doctor Robert sums it best that the decision making opportunities this off season can possibly make this a team to contend with for the next several years or a bad team to watch for the next several. That IS why I think this off season is so important!

------------------

7. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I think that if you take our current team , including SA , and play them next season barring big injury (Dream,Cato,Collier,Walt) then we make the playoffs.

If you dump SA,Cato,Dream(hope not) and add 3 picks at C,PF,SF (could trade up or lose picks due to Cato's departure) and a solid FA then we could easily be 50+ win but still not big enough in the post... Resigning Hakeem OR getting a bigman (Ratliff,E. Johnson) is more important than getting Webber. Dont get me wrong CWebb would make us potent but still an early exit team. Mo T and a Healthy dream are lethal. I already said goodbye to Dream at the last home game and it wouldnt hurt me to see him go. If you take him out of the equation for last season we would have been lucky to hit the 40 win mark. A Center is the #1 priority. Then a PF if MoT leaves. A SF would be a nice draft pick.

It would be great to have Dream at the exception but it seems he wants to play in the wheelchair olympics in DC. Oh well. Bye bye! Thanks for the loyalty!

Anyone know if there is a buyout clause in Cato's contract? The Offseason will definitely be chaotic. I will be really happy or really pissed come October I fear...

Number One key to offseason is to get bigger and not to get screwed in the draft. I like Terrence Morris.

------------------
    Go Rockets!!!
    SS

8. ROXRAN

I think almost everyone here would love to have T. Mo., myself included.

(trying to distance myself from my bad post..Admins. please shut the other one down.)

------------------