1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Article "Bush is marching straight into bin Laden's trap "

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Sep 22, 2001.

1. ScreamingRocketJet

Very interesting...and from a very good writer...worrying to say the least...

For all you Americans who have posted here "why...why...why?" do they hate you (us) so much...maybe this article has the answers...

Arabs would rather like some of that democracy and liberty the President has been talking about, writes Robert Fisk.

Retaliation is a trap. In a world that was supposed to have learnt that the rule of law comes above revenge, George Bush appears to be heading for the very disaster that Osama bin Laden has laid down for him.

Let us have no doubts about what happened in New York and Washington last week. It was a crime against humanity. We cannot understand America's need to retaliate unless we accept this bleak, awesome fact. But this crime was perpetrated - it becomes ever clearer - to provoke the United States into just the blind, arrogant punch that the Pentagon is preparing.

Bin Laden has described to me how he wishes to overthrow the pro-American regimes of the Middle East, starting with Saudi Arabia and moving on to Egypt, Jordan and the other Gulf states. In an Arab world sunk in corruption and dictatorships - most of them supported by the West - the only act that might bring Muslims to strike at their own leaders would be a brutal, indiscriminate assault by the US.

Bin Laden is unsophisticated in foreign affairs, but a close student of the art and horror of war. He knew how to fight the Russians who stayed on in Afghanistan, a Russian monster that revenged itself upon its ill-educated, courageous antagonists until, faced with war without end, the entire Soviet Union began to fall apart.

The Chechens learnt this lesson. And the man responsible for so much of the bloodbath in Chechnya - the career KGB man whose army is raping and murdering the insurgent Sunni Muslim population of Chechnya - is now being signed up by Bush for his "war against people".
    Vladimir Putin must surely have a sense of humour to appreciate the cruel ironies that have come to pass, though I doubt if he will let Bush know what happens when you start a war of retaliation; your army, like the Russian forces in Chechnya, becomes locked into battle with an enemy that appears ever more ruthless.

But the Americans need look no further than Ariel Sharon's futile war with the Palestinians to understand the folly of retaliation. In Lebanon, it was always the same. A Hezbollah guerilla would kill an Israeli occupation soldier, and the Israelis would fire back in retaliation at a village in which a civilian would die. The Hezbollah would retaliate with a Katyusha missile attack over the Israeli border, and the Israelis would retaliate again with a bombardment of southern Lebanon. In the end, the Hezbollah - the "centre of world terror" according to Sharon - drove the Israelis out of Lebanon.

In Israel/Palestine, it is the same story. An Israeli soldier shoots a Palestinian stone-thrower. The Palestinians retaliate by killing a settler. The Israelis then retaliate by sending a murder squad to kill a Palestinian gunman. The Palestinians retaliate by sending a suicide bomber into a pizzeria. The Israelis then retaliate by sending F-16s to bomb a Palestinian police station. Retaliation leads to retaliation and more retaliation. War without end.

"America was targeted for attack," Bush informed us last week, "because we are the brightest beacon for freedom and opportunity in the world."

But this is not why America was attacked. If this was an Arab-Muslim apocalypse, then it is intimately associated with events in the Middle East and with America's stewardship of the area. Arabs, it might be added, would rather like some of that democracy and liberty and freedom that Bush has been telling them about.

Instead, they get a president who wins 98per cent in the elections (Washington's friend, Hosni Mubarak) or a Palestinian police force, trained by the CIA, that tortures and sometimes kills its people in prison.

The Syrians would also like a little of that democracy. So would the Saudis. But their effete princes are all friends of America.

I will always remember how Bill Clinton announced that Saddam Hussein - another of the West's grotesque inventions - must be overthrown so that the people of Iraq could choose their own leaders. But if that happened, it would be the first time in Middle Eastern history that Arabs have been permitted to do so.

No, it is "our" democracy and "our" liberty and freedom that Bush is talking about, our Western sanctuary that is under attack, not the vast place of terror and injustice that the Middle East has become.

Let me illustrate what I mean. Nineteen years ago today, the greatest act of terrorism - using Israel's own definition of that much misused word - in modern Middle Eastern history began. Does anyone remember the anniversary in the West?

On 16 September 1982, Israel's Phalangist militia allies started the three-day orgy of rape and knifing and murder in the Palestinian refugee camps of Sabra and Shatila that cost 1,800 lives.

It followed an Israeli invasion of Lebanon - designed to drive the Palestine Liberation Organisation out of the country and given the green light by the then US secretary of state, Alexander Haig - which cost the lives of 17,500 Lebanese and Palestinians, almost all of them civilians.

Yet I do not remember any vigils or memorial services or candle-lighting in America or the West for the innocent dead of Lebanon; I don't recall any stirring speeches about democracy or liberty. In fact, my memory is that the US spent most of the bloody months of July and August 1982 calling for "restraint".

No, Israel is not to blame for what happened last week. The culprits were Arabs, not Israelis. But America's failure to act with honour in the Middle East, its promiscuous sale of missiles to those who use them against civilians, its blithe disregard for the deaths of tens of thousands of Iraqi children under sanctions of which Washington is the principal supporter - all these are intimately related to the society that produced the Arabs who plunged America into an apocalypse of fire last week.

America's name is literally stamped on the missiles fired by Israel into Palestinian buildings in Gaza and the West Bank. Only four weeks ago, I identified one as an AGM 114-D air-to-ground rocket made by Boeing and Lockheed-Martin at their factory in Florida, the state where some of the suiciders trained to fly.

It was fired from an Apache helicopter (made in America) during the 1982 Israeli invasion of Lebanon, when hundreds of cluster bombs were dropped in civilian areas of Beirut by the Israelis in contravention of undertakings given to the US. Most of the bombs had US naval markings and America then suspended a shipment of fighter bombers to Israel for less than two months.

The same type of missile - this time an AGM 114-C made in Georgia - was fired by the Israelis into the back of an ambulance near the Lebanese village of Mansori, killing two women and four children. I collected the pieces of the missile, including its computer coding plate, flew to Georgia and presented them to the manufacturers at the Boeing factory.

And what did the missile's developer say when I showed him photographs of the children his missile had killed? "Whatever you do," he told me, "don't quote me as saying anything critical of the policies of Israel."

I'm sure the father of those children, who was driving the ambulance, will have been appalled by last week's events, but I don't suppose, given the fate of his own wife - one of the women killed - that he was in a mood to send condolences to anyone. All these facts, of course, must be forgotten now.

Every effort will be made in the coming days to switch off the "why" question and concentrate on the who, what and how.

No wonder we have to refer to the terrorists as "mindless". For if we did not, we would have to explain what went on in those minds. But this attempt to censor the realities of the war that has already begun must not be permitted to continue.

Look at the logic. Colin Powell was insisting last week that his message to the Taliban is simple: they have to take responsibility for sheltering Osama bin Laden. "You cannot separate your activities from the activities of the perpetrators," he warned. But the Americans absolutely refuse to associate their own response to their predicament with their activities in the Middle East.

We are supposed to hold our tongues, even when Ariel Sharon - a man whose name will always be associated with the massacres at Sabra and Shatila - announces that Israel also wishes to join the battle against "world terror".

No wonder the Palestinians are fearful.

If Israel signs up for the new conflict, then the Palestinians, by fighting the Israelis will, by extension, become part of the "world terror" against which Bush is supposedly going to war. Not for nothing did Sharon claim that Yasser Arafat had connections with Osama bin Laden.

I repeat: what happened in New York was a crime against humanity. And that means policemen, arrests, justice, a whole new international court at The Hague if necessary. Not cruise missiles and "precision" bombs and Muslim lives lost in revenge for Western lives.

But the trap has been sprung. Bush is now walking into it - and perhaps his allies too.

The Independent

#1 ScreamingRocketJet, Sep 22, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2001
  2. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

leave it to the British to have it all figured out!

http://www.independent.co.uk/
    this is where this story came from, right SRJ?

i am really hoping that Bush and his cabinet knows what they are doing...

rH

3. ScreamingRocketJet

Rockhead

Yep...it's an english article...

I got it from SMH.COM.AU however (sydney morning herald)

Agreed...Fisk really hits the nail on the head.

I hope so also mate...

4. treeman

treeman Member

Sounds pretty much like a Communist's take on the Evil US. The Arabs are the victims here, and the US and Israel are the bad guys (they always want that Palestinian-Israeli linkage). We sold the Israelis their weapons (neglect to mention that we have sold more to the Arabs) that were used to kill innocent Palestinians (neglect to mention who used the weapons, or that Mossad only targets leaders)... It's all the US's fault.

But the writer is right about one thing: we are playing right into bin Laden's trap. He wants us to attack the Taliban (and hopefully Iraq, too), because he rightly believes that such an attack will inflame the entire muslim world in anti-US sentiment (like most of it's not there already). He wants a jihad to start, and for all the Western-allied Arab governments to be overthrown in massive civil wars, to be replaced by radical fundamentalist governments. This is his dream. This is WW3. And it might just happen. And there might be no avoiding it.

We can't not strike back against Osama. Getting him and tearing apart Al Qaeda means getting the Taliban. Leaving Saddam in place would be suicidal; either we take him out or he will eventually take us out. He is very patient. If either of these regimes remain in power, the next terrorist attack may be a NBC attack that will make the World Trade Center look like child's play. The threat must be removed.

Osama will get his war. A large portion of the Arab population in the ME is already on his side, and we haven't even done anything yet. A protest in Pakistan today by Taliban supporters had a large banner that read "Stop US Aggression in Afghanistan", and we're the only ones who've been attacked so far. The Palestinians were dancing in the streets the day of the attack, as you all know. I'm not sure if there's any way to calm them all down, any way to assure them that we don't intend to assault all of islam.

But we must do whatever we can to prevent Osama from getting exactly the war he wants. We can put up with regimes we don't like. I personally wouldn't mind having islamic (democratic theocracies) regimes replacing the dictatorships that reign in that world, but that's not likely. The writer doesn't know diddly about ME desires when it comes to politics. The Arab world doesn't care about democracy at all. It cares about freedom of religious expression, and destroying Israel. And kicking the US out of the Persian Gulf, which is why Osama is so popular.

Just think about why Osama is so popular.

I'm not sure the chances are good to avoid his war, no matter what we do. All I know is that if we don't protect ourselves, we're dead.

5. ScreamingRocketJet

I'd hardly call it a 'communists' perspective!!

More one that looks at 'why' these feelings have grown to such dangerous levels...

I agree with your other points.

One thing the US is doing very well at the moment is NOT over reacting...

I am surprised at how they haven't attacked yet and are building a strategy to avoid giving bin Ladan what he wants...

Let's hope that continues:)

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

This isn't directed at you SRJ but just at the general assumption that the U.S. was just going to hop right in to this retaliation/revenge/war whatever you want to call it. I mean you hear so many people say we will be doing just what Osama wants by retaliating and that the Arabs will hate us more and they seem to think that the higher ups in the gov't don't understand this also (as if only they-writers- or we-people on message boards- are the only ones with the ability to see through Osama's plan). Like you said, they have not over reacted and I'm sure the government has looked at this from all perspectives and is looking at all possible ways to go about this to produce the most desired results. I'm sure the government isn't just thinking about blowin' stuff up without thinking of the repercussions. I guess they could be, but I'm of the belief that they are not.

#6 francis 4 prez, Sep 22, 2001
  7. treeman

treeman Member

SRJ:

I dunno if the writer is a Commie, but they're always preaching the same line... US is bad, bad, BAD!

It takes time to move everything into place. The carriers won't all be there for a week to 10 days. It takes time for ground troops to mobilize, and they'll probably want to train some when they do...

Attacks are coming, no doubt. I just hope we can deal with the situation geo-politically. Everyone says they're with us now, but it might be a different story once the bullets start flying.

8. haven

haven Member

I love it treeman!

You accuse the author of hating the US, then don't dispute any of his arguments.

Tsk tsk tsk...

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

The pro-Taliban faction in Pakistan had organized this demonstration, but the majority of Pakistanis did not participate. I have family there also. They tell me that the majority of Pakistanis are happy that Musharaf is helping the United States.

As for Palestinians celebrating, well yeah alot of them celebrated. There are also alot of them that did not celebrate. Of course the US media does not relate that aspect because it is not as sensational.

10. treeman

treeman Member

A Gallup poll in Pakistan showed that over 67% of Pakistanis don't want Pakistan to help the US in this war. I don't know your family, but I know that Gallup does its polls right...

I highly doubt that every single Palestinian was happy about what happened. I'm sure many Arabs don't want what's about to happen to actually happen. But there is no denying that there is a solid base of hatred for the US in many islamic corners.

11. treeman

treeman Member

haven:

What, am I supposed to argue against the fact that he points out that Hellfires were used to attack PA strongholds? They were. So what? How exactly are we culpable for that?

I suppose that when a robbery ends in a shooting (in self-defense - the robber gets shot), you'd like to represent the robber's family and sue the gun dealer for selling the defender the gun? :rolleyes:

Or was it his take on Putin's action in Chechnya? That he's practically evil incarnate? What would you do if the Chechens (who are essentially drug-running, murderous, kidnapping terrorists) kept bombing apartment buildings in your capitol city? The Russians screwed up in their first invasion there (the author neglects to mention that that was Yeltsin's debacle), but the second time around they took care of the problem. Putin's a bad guy for facing down terrorists?

Anyway, I did take issue with a couple of the guy's assertions - most importantly, his assertion that Arabs want democracy. Anyone who's studied the ME knows that that's just BS. Western wishful-thinking. They want the US out, and they want to destroy Israel. And they want all Western-supported regimes to be overthrown - they want caliphs back, and the Americans gone.

Do you have any idea how popular bin Laden is right now in the middle eastern world?

Take your liberal blinders off for this one. I have. We're at war whether you like it or not. And if we don't all wake up to that fact as a people, then we're all going to be bleeding out of our a*sholes before it's too late.

12. treeman

treeman Member

Huh. I don't feel any different...

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

And to think I have lived much of my adult life as a "commie" and didn't even realize it.:(

Are than any other posters, in your opinion, who could be in a similar predicament?

14. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

This is more of the "big bad United States going after the poor Taliban and his group" article. I see tons of articles talking about how it's the United States fault, or they are causing trouble, they have TERRORIST! They will keep killing innocent people while people blame the United States. The US isn't going to just go in and bomb the place. It's like they didn't even hear Bush's speech. This is going to be political, financial, cutting off trade routes, and strategic attacks. I think people are giving bin Laden to much credit. It's like he's the smartest man in the world or something, and we can't hope to match up with him. Everything that could potentially go bad is "bin Laden's plan". On one side people are saying that he wants the U.S. hated over there, but then they say he wants the U.S. out of there. If bin Laden had this planned he wouldn't be running. The U.S. isn't a Johnny come lately, they've been there before. They'll know what to do.

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

treeman: That Gallup poll was called a "quick" poll in reports I read. It was a survey of a limited number of people and the margin for error was like 15% or something. I work with a girl whose entire family is from Pakistan and she said that everyone her family knows there is happy that they are helping the US, mainly because it will likely get sanctions lifted. Many of them are, in fact, afraid of the radical Islamic groups because they live so close. They worry that they might end up in civil war but they prefer it to nuclear holocaust with India or continued heavy economic sanctions from the US or an all-out invasion of allied troops.

I always find it funny that the news reporters cover the protests but never bother to talk others. They make it look like Pakistan is a bunch of America-hating terrorists, which, of course, they are not. In the CNN report I read, they said that observers said they were surprised that the protests weren't larger. They assumed that more people would turn out than did and they were very encouraged by it.

16. stringthing

stringthing Member

#16 stringthing, Sep 22, 2001
  17. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Recipe:
    1. Throw in some admittedly horrible facts from the Region;
    2. Be certain to blame ALL #1 events ENTIRELY on your target;
    3. Ignore all positive things your target has done;
    4. Apply simplified, self-serving logic;
    5. Ignore own country's complicity in the Region;

Don't need to cook or bake, because you already made a batch of crap.

Personally, I don't trust such biased idiots; it is apparent that they hate us too. I am more likely to accept constructive criticism from balanced articles, such as from the Vanity Fair writer (thks. stringthing).

18. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Excerpt From: http://www.dailytelegraph.co.uk/dt?...=rQ9QDtaX&atmo=YbA37bYp&pg=/01/9/22/do02.html

19. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

impressive.