1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cap Situation Going Forward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bball1217, Jul 13, 2014.

1. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Relax...Breathe...We still have a good team. We got unlucky with Bosh, some higher than expected deals given out this summer (Parsons, Heyward, Bradley. etc.), and a very difficult overall offseason to navigate. But, Morey and the Rockets FO kept this from being a complete disaster.

Here's my calculation of Cap going forward (I'll let BimaThug verify as he is the Clutchfans expert on all this):

Assuming:
    1. Capela signs for rookie scale deal (this will vary based on buyout/negotiations, but should be close enough)
    2. Daniels signs for $1 million/yr deal (this is probably on the optimistic/cheap side, but I think he should get $1-1.5 million)
    3. Johnson signs for minimum deal (again, this # could change, but not by much)
    4. Waive NG contracts acquired in trade

2014-2015:
    Player 2014-2015
    Dwight Howard----------21,436,271
    James Harden----------14,728,844
    Trevor Ariza----------8,600,000
    Terrence Jones----------1,618,680
    Donatas Motiejunas----------1,483,920
    Troy Daniels----------1,000,000
    Clint Capela----------991,000
    Patrick Beverley----------915,243
    Isaiah Canaan----------816,482
    Robert Covington----------816,482
    Nick Johnson----------507,336
    OPEN----------507,336
    -
    Net Salaries----------53,421,594
    Salary Cap Space----------9,643,406
    Amount Over(-)/Under(+) Tax Level----------23,407,406
    Amount Over(-)/Under(+) Apron----------27,407,406
    Assets/Exceptions:
    -Lin TPE ~ $8,370,000 million (unless use cap room to sign FA)
    -Asik TPE ~ $5,370,000 million (unless use cap room to sign FA)
    -NOP 2015 pick (4-19 only)
    -NYK, MIN/DEN, & our own 2nd rounders in 2015
    -ALL our own picks in future drafts
    -International prospects (Alessandro Gentile, Marko Todorović, Kostas Papanikolaou, Sergio Llull)
    -Full NTP MLE (5,305,000) (unless use cap room to sign FA)
    -Full BAE (2,077,000) (unless use cap room to sign FA)

I like the position we are in considering all that has unfortunately happened to us. Ariza is a terrific pick up; what he lacks in offensive productivity from dropoff from losing Parsons, he makes up for in defensive ability, something we desperately need and at half the price! Also, Ariza has had his two best seasons on good teams in a complementary role ('09 champion Lakers and a playoff Wizards team that made it to the second round last year). This team fits him perfectly.

Here are some players we could add using TPEs + international prospects/draft picks as needed (all salaries under 8,370,000):
    -Goran Dragic PG (2yrs/PO)
    -Brandon Bass PF (1yr)
    -Wilson Chandler G/F (2yr)
    -Glen Davis PF (1yr)
    -Chuck Hayes PF (1yr)
    -Courtney Lee SG (2yrs)
    -Jamal Crawford SG (2yrs)
    -JJ Hickson PF/C (2yrs)
    -Zaza Pachulia C (2yrs)
    -Chase Budinger G/F (2yrs/PO)
    -Corey Brewer G/F (2yrs/PO)
    -Timofey Mozgov C (2yrs/TO)
    -Cody Zeller C (3yrs/2 TOs)
    All these are friendly deals at only 1-2yrs that could help us now and in the future. Personally I would love to get Timofey Mozgov (using Asik TPE) to back up Howard and lessen Howard's minutes in the regular season. Nuggets just drafted two true centers in 2014 draft (Nurkic in 1st; Jokic in 2nd) and have two other centers (McGee and Hickson), so they might be willing to give up Mozgov for some picks and/or international prospects. We can also still go after a FA like Shawn Marion using MLE, who I think would be a great addition to help on defense at SF/PF; this too would probably be a 2 year deal with a TO, therefore not hurting the future.

Beverly/Canaan
    Harden/Ariza/Johnson
    Ariza/Marion/Covington
    Jones/Marion/DMo
    Howard/Mozgov
    Use vet mins and Lin TPE to add more PG/PF depth, and thats still a great team next year, with flexibility to re-adjust in 2015 if needed. This is just one scenario, but it is just to show the options we still have to make this a competitive team this coming year and beyond too.

Lin and Asik weren't going to fit on this team going forward and Parsons leaving is just unfortunate, BUT we will be fine, the next few years are still looking very good. We have TWO All-Stars and they will ultimately be the ones who carry us to a championship.

2 people like this.
  2. Exiled

Exiled Member

As u said: we still in GOOD looking but others are way BETTER than last year

3. bball1217

bball1217 Member

You play with the cards you were dealt. Bosh not signing & Parsons taking a max deal were out of the Rockets control. Yes, in hindsight some mistakes may have been made and things might have been done differently, but we will not truly know if this offseason was a success or failure until next year and even the year after that.

4. sfayner

sfayner Member

We could have had Parsons for 1 more year on a cheap salary, but that wasn't really fair to him for all he did for us. He in not a max player however. Hard to account for outrageous behavior by another organization.

5. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Note: I am not sure if we have an Asik TPE, but we do still have Lin TPE from what I've gathered from BimaThugs' tweets.

6. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I agree with the thread starter. Having the abilty to have ariza and possibly get dragic for the price of ariza is a win. You have to structure the team to be financially sound.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I like Ariza. As for "possibly" getting Dragic or anyone else, nice and all, but I'll wait until we "actually" get someone before celebrating. We could have "possibly" gotten Bosh, too, and look how that turned out.

Good that we have resources. Morey still has to work hard to turn these resources into actual players.

8. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

I thought we gave up OUR first rounder in the Lin trade? So we don't have all of our future draft picks.

9. bball1217

bball1217 Member

100% Agree! Morey managed to come out w/ good resources to work with going forward out of all of this mess. It'll be hard work, but winning championships requires that.

10. bball1217

bball1217 Member

I meant all future draft picks beginning with 2016 draft. You are correct, we don't have our own 2015 1st anymore to my knowledge.

11. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

That looks pretty bleak.

Those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it, don't get excited about what could happen.

12. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Better than just pouting about what could have been..

13. do work son

do work son Member

realistically this season will be a lateral move more than an up or down. everything we lost, can be replaced, just not greatly improved upon.

i know bima alluded to being able to use our cap space, and maintain our exceptions. would this be through more sign and trades like with ariza?

also, i don't think we have a TPE from the asik deal.

14. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Yeah, I'll let Bima confirm, but I think we only have Lin's TPE (& not Asik's TPE like I originally thought) of $8,370,000. We can use this to trade for a player while still maintaining our full MLE and BAE to work with OR do S&T to acquire a player and still keep full MLE and BAE to work with (but there aren't too many great options left).

15. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

So realistic opinions and analysis are only welcome if it is positive?

If you don't like honesty like mine, you can put me on ignore any time.

16. big_kg

big_kg New Member

Beverly/Canaan
    Harden/Ariza/Johnson
    Ariza/Marion/Covington
    Jones/Marion/DMo
    Howard/Mozgov

Who is Marion?

17. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Not at all what I meant, I'm just being a fan, man. Analytically, I honestly think, with a couple more minor moves, we will have a very competitive team; as competitive, if not more so, than last year. Just my opinion though, like yours

18. bball1217

bball1217 Member

Shawn Marion. Haven't heard anything, just think he could be a good fit to help this team.

19. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

We're like that fantasy football team in an auction league that didn't grab any of the top running backs, or really top anything, through the first four rounds. Sure every other contender is bankrupt and we can basically sign anyone at a discount that we so choose, but who is out there that we would really WANT?

Maybe Okafor as a FA, and from your list maybe Hickson via trade if you are correct that Denver might be willing to part with him for cheap.

20. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Okay.

We won't be better than last season. The teams we were competing with for home court have either stayed the same or gotten stronger. We will be weaker based on who is available to bring in.